What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Walk in the Woods, based on the Bill Bryson book of the same name.

Good cast including Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson.

I enjoyed this gentle comedy which has encouraged me to dig out the book and read it again.

It is similar in feel to films such as Local Hero, and I will award it 7/110

Graham

AndyRM

XOXO
Chappie (2015)...Hugh Jackman, Dev Patel, Die Antwoord....Interesting take on A.I.. I liked it alot but there were so many plot holes and it took me ages to remember that two of the actors were from die antwoord...... 7/10

Agreed.

I don't really understand why it got such a kicking off critics. Obviously Blade Runner is the ultimate humanity/robot film, with Matrix, Alien and 2001 close behind, but Chappie is a really good effort.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Railway Man. Based on a true story, Colin Firth plays a man haunted by his time on the 'River Kwai' railway, Nicole Kidman the woman who saves him from his past. Well put together, in that rather 'British film' way, and nothing really wrong with it, but as so often it all felt a tad 'going through the motions': done ok, but all rather lacking in any real narrative drive.

AndyRM

XOXO

I enjoyed this gentle comedy which has encouraged me to dig out the book and read it again.

It is similar in feel to films such as Local Hero, and I will award it 7/110

Graham

I didn't know they'd made a film of it! Thanks for the tip, it's a cracking book, although all Bryson's are IMO - his conversational way of writing is really enjoyable.

I didn't know they'd made a film of it! Thanks for the tip, it's a cracking book, although all Bryson's are IMO - his conversational way of writing is really enjoyable.

Must admit, I saw the film and thought it was TERRIBLE.

Robert Redford has unfortunately gone well past his best. Nick Nolte was certainly no better, and Emma Thompson had a very simple part, well beneath her talent.

I really do hope that Bill Bryson doesn't appear to be so pathetic in real life.

If they wanted to make a film from one of Bill Bryson's book, then this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Under-Travels-Sunburned-Country/dp/055299703X would be a winner,assuming he was portayed by someone with some life in him. :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I honestly can't imagine how anyone could read Bill Bryson & not feel better for it. I just grabbed one off the shelf at random, picked a page at random, quite literally, and within 20 seconds had found:

bb.jpg

Must admit, I saw the film and thought it was TERRIBLE.

Robert Redford has unfortunately gone well past his best. Nick Nolte was certainly no better, and Emma Thompson had a very simple part, well beneath her talent.

I really do hope that Bill Bryson doesn't appear to be so pathetic in real life.

If they wanted to make a film from one of Bill Bryson's book, then this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Under-Travels-Sunburned-Country/dp/055299703X would be a winner,assuming he was portayed by someone with some life in him. :smile:

I think terrible is a little harsh, but perhaps the fact 15 years have passed since I read the book helped me to enjoy it.

I too really enjoyed Down Under and remember having trouble breathing Due to laughing so hard, as Bryson described his confusion when faced with the dazzling array of gauges and controls in his hire car.

I find myself strangely drawn to films that have no explosions, special effects or serious messages to put across.

I also like Robert Redford's often understated performances in his films.

Graham

smiler1207

Watched Now you see me last night... Was quiet clever and interesting but I felt could have been a lot better.

Watched The Conjuring in the week and it is one of the best horror films I have seen in a long time!

I want to see this, if only to see how Redford fits the bill as Bryson

Just finished the 'Little Dribbling' book

AndyRM

XOXO
Black Sheep - 8/10

AKA Night of the Living Sheep, Sheep of the Dead, The Sheep Have Eyes, 28 Sheep Later.

Yep, mutant, zombie, infectious sheep. Really good fun Kiwi horror comedy in the same vein as Peter Jackson's early work. I think it's so good because it plays the sheep angle very straight and relies on the actors to provide the comedy, which they do very well.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Straight Outta Compton - 7/10

Not (as the title led me to believe) the route of the number 16 bus, but the story of NWA.
It was entertaining enough and I do like a good real life dramatization, but it did seem overlong at two and a half hours.
That said, well worth a watch to take you back to the day.

fimm

Veteran
The thing about Bill Bryson is that it is the way he uses language that is so wonderful. And that of course doesn't really translate into film. I saw "A walk in the woods" and thought it was OK, pleasant enough. I haven't read that particular book, though. Someone said it wasn't one of his better ones.

AndyRM

XOXO
Straight Outta Compton - 7/10

Not (as the title led me to believe) the route of the number 16 bus, but the story of NWA.
It was entertaining enough and I do like a good real life dramatization, but it did seem overlong at two and a half hours.
That said, well worth a watch to take you back to the day.

If you liked that, check out Boyz N the Hood.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rocknrolla. Typical Guy Ritchie fare with entertaining characters and cameos, ruthless nasties and awesome casting. Side-splitting moments and increasingly complicated and twisting plot. Not quite Snatch or Lock Stock, but an entertaining romp nevertheless. 4/5

Top Bottom