What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sacrilege! The new Total Recall is essentially a castrated version of the original, same with the new Robocop.

Why Paul Verhoeven has allowed two of his classics to be toned down for the 12A generation is beyond me. If rumours surrounding the Starship Troopers remake prove true, they are going to ruin it.

IMO the only 'modern' interpretations of old films that come out with any credibility are Rocky and Rambo, largely because of Stallone's determination not to allow his characters to be butchered.

:eek::eek::stop:

AndyRM

XOXO

Genuinely curious, what is it that you disagree with?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
watched Troll-hunter last night. not quite a masterpiece, and whimsically funny rather than airplane funny. Abit overlong, but enjoyable and rather compelling especially the chap in the title roll. 7/10

AndyRM

XOXO
watched Troll-hunter last night. not quite a masterpiece, and whimsically funny rather than airplane funny. Abit overlong, but enjoyable and rather compelling especially the chap in the title roll. 7/10

Trollhunter is a fantastic film. Also being (needlessly) remade in English, but Neil Marshall is directing so I'm cautiously optimistic.

For another slice of Scandinavian monster excellence, check out 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale'.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
watched Troll-hunter last night. not quite a masterpiece, and whimsically funny rather than airplane funny. A bit overlong, but enjoyable and rather compelling especially the chap in the title roll. 7/10
Troll Hunter is one of the better Blair Witch style films... i thoroughly enjoyed it.

edit.... yup, agreed an English remake is mostly needless... but there's so many people who claim they "can't watch subtitled films"... not that it takes much effort, all they have to do is look at the screen.

welsh dragon

Genuinely curious, what is it that you disagree with?

It's just my opinion. I have no doubt that other people will disagree with it, as I have no doubt people will disagree with some of your opinions. The thread is about what film you watched last night. Its just a bit of fun. Saying things like sacrilege etc is a bit over the top. Sorry if you don't agree with my opinion. I apologise if I have offended you.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's just my opinion. I have no doubt that other people will disagree with it, as I have no doubt people will disagree with some of your opinions. The thread is about what film you watched last night. Its just a bit of fun. Saying things like sacrilege etc is a bit over the top. Sorry if you don't agree with my opinion. I apologise if I have offended you.

Not at all, my over-reaction was meant in jest as well and I'm not offended. I should use those smiley things more often :thumbsup:.

You're right though, I shouldn't really have gone off on a tangent about films being ruined. I should start a new thread!

I watched 47 Ronin over the weekend, largely because Nick 'Zombie Boy' Genest is in it. 2 hours of my life wasted.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
to be fair, some English remakes are rather good - Fistfull of Dollars (if that counts as English) and Last Man Standing are both worthy films despite being remakes of the Kurosawa masterpiece - itself based on a cowboy novel apparently

welsh dragon

Not at all, my over-reaction was meant in jest as well and I'm not offended. I should use those smiley things more often :thumbsup:.

You're right though, I shouldn't really have gone off on a tangent about films being ruined. I should start a new thread!

I watched 47 Ronin over the weekend, largely because Nick 'Zombie Boy' Genest is in it. 2 hours of my life wasted.

:thumbsup:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
to be fair, some English remakes are rather good - Fistfull of Dollars (if that counts as English) and Last Man Standing are both worthy films despite being remakes of the Kurosawa masterpiece - itself based on a cowboy novel apparently

Of course some remakes can be good... some even better than the original, but sometimes, just the idea of remaking a film riles me. The Wicker Man with Nicolas Copella Cage was a travesty. The Italian Job staring 'everyone' wasn't a bad heist movie, but had so little in common with the original it barely counts as a remake in my book.... and i just can't even bring myself to checking out Stallone's Get Carter, not even for comedy value.

AndyRM

XOXO
Of course some remakes can be good... some even better than the original, but sometimes, just the idea of remaking a film riles me. The Wicker Man with Nicolas Copella Cage was a travesty. The Italian Job staring 'everyone' wasn't a bad heist movie, but had so little in common with the original it barely counts as a remake in my book.... and i just can't even bring myself to checking out Stallone's Get Carter, not even for comedy value.

Gadz! I'd forgotten about Wickerman. A film I will never have to endure, hopefully.

I quite enjoyed The Italian Job, but as soon as Ed Norton (I think?) shot that bloke it was absolutely ruined. Totally at odds with the sentiment of the original.

Get Carter is alright if you've not seen the original.

I'll be recording Hunger tonight off Film 4, I watched it when it came out and really enjoyed it. Steve McQueen is rather good at the whole film making caper...

Top Bottom