What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just watched a really good film; Bernie starring Jack Black and Shirley Maclaine. It's an absolutely true story of an incredibly nice, loyal, decent man who befriends an extremely wealthy older lady who is the nastiest auld rat-bag in Christendom and was pushed too far so shot her. Despite being an undertaker, he didn't dispose of her body as he could have done but hides it in a freezer and was caught nine months later. The prosecution (played brilliantly by Matthew McCanaughy) realised he was too well liked to get a guilty verdict in his home town so petitions for a change of venue and the trial is moved 50 miles. The film is partially composed of residents of the town being interviewed and telling the film crew all the decent, charitable things Bernie did and also say what a nasty piece of work Maclaine's character was. They all said they hoped they'd been on the jury as even with a complete admission of guilt by Bernie, they'd almost all have found him not guilty. It's a superb film. 6/10.

LimeBurn

Über Member
It was probably one of the worst films I've ever seen. My friend on the other hand thinks its one of the best.

The Coen brothers seem to split opinion about their films , not seen this one but Fargo , No Country For Old Men and Inside Llewyn Davis are all great films imo but I found most of their other films to be crap:smile:[/quote]
I enjoyed No Country for Old Men^_^

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Last night I watched notting hill. I have seen it before, but it was well worth watching a second time. Light, funny, a great way to wile away a couple of hours. 7/10. I can recommend the film.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"It's a superb film. 6/10" Six? If six is 'superb', what's say, eight?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The raven starring john cussack. About Edgar alan Poe. Allegedly Poe teams up with a detevtive investigating grisly deaths based on Poes work. Load of rubbish although there was a lot of blood and guts. Only 5/10. Definitely not the best film.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Red.
A Bruce Willis flick.
Good goofy dumb film to waste a few brain cells watching. Had a great turn by Helen Mirren.

I looked at the IMDB top 250 list recently - as with all lists of this nature there are a few very questionable films on there (Shawshank Redemption best film ever?? for example) but I found a few gems that I'd missed (or wasn't alive when they were out) one of which i watched the other day:
Witness for the Prosecution - 1957 dir. Billy Wilder - excellent adaptation of an Agatha Christie courtroom drama - a bit of a ropey beginning (and a rather odd Marlene Dietrich scene towards the end) but I thought it was up there with the best of its genre...

Top Bottom