What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A documentary called Ping Pong.

It's about old folks playing World Champion level table tennis. Some bits are a bit twee, but it's genuinely inspirational whilst being touching as well as funny.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Truman Show. I don't like Jim Carrey so i avoided this film when it came out, however it did get really good reviews. A couple of years ago when TVC was out for the evening I watched some of the film and was impressed by Carrey. The film was on a couple of weeks ago so we recorded it and watched it last night. A really good film, deep and poignant, Carrey was a revelation, although I still can't watch him in anything else, the OTT manic, gurning thing really doesn't work for me.
Same here... can't stand the gurning muppet, but did enjoy The Truman Show... I can also recommend Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as the other good film Jim Carrey has done.

Not a film, but watched the last part of The Railway Children TV series from 1968... Daddy, oh my Daddy doesn't emerge from the smoke at the end, he just gets off the train like any normal bloke would... still had a lump in my throat mind :blush:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Citizen Kane - third attempt, third failure :wacko: That's it, it's gone to a charity shop near you, perhaps.

Bad enough the 15 minutes of fake documentary at the start, with the shouty voiceover. The film itself generates no interest, I don't really care about any of the characters or why the guy said 'Rosebud' as he died.

Wikipedia says;

"Often considered by critics, filmmakers and fans to be the greatest film ever made, Citizen Kane was voted the greatest film of all time in five consecutive Sight & Sound's polls of critics, until it was displaced by Vertigo in the 2012 poll. It topped the American Film Institute's 100 Years ... 100 Movies list in 1998, as well as the AFI's 2007 update. Citizen Kane is particularly praised for its innovative cinematography, music, and narrative structure."

What are those critics on?

It's now second on my list of the worst, most-hyped movies of all time, after Run Lola, Run
You know that thing where you watch or read something that's been hyped up by everyone and you think: hmmm, well, it was ok, but I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss was about....and then ten years later you watch/read it again, without the built-up expectations, and think: actually, that is really good? Well, Citizen Cane was like that for me, except it wasn't. I saw it when I was young, knowing of its reputation, and thought: hmmm, well, it was ok, but I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss was about...then a few weeks ago I decided to give it another go, and ended up thinking: actually that's really pretty crap. Like you, I'm totally baffled by the reputation. Was it just because everyone felt the need to be nice about nice Mr Orson?

Alex H

Legendary Member
You know that thing where you watch or read something that's been hyped up by everyone and you think: hmmm, well, it was ok, but I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss was about....and then ten years later you watch/read it again, without the built-up expectations, and think: actually, that is really good? Well, Citizen Cane was like that for me, except it wasn't. I saw it when I was young, knowing of its reputation, and thought: hmmm, well, it was ok, but I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss was about...then a few weeks ago I decided to give it another go, and ended up thinking: actually that's really pretty crap. Like you, I'm totally baffled by the reputation. Was it just because everyone felt the need to be nice about nice Mr Orson?

Before I buy any film (being in France I can't rent them here) I check with a few websites to see what I'm getting. Usually Lovefilm, Rotten Toamtoes, IMDB and as I buy from Amazon, Amazon. Over the 3 years + I've Iived here, probably around 300 films and so far only one real dud - Run Lola Run (sorry @MontyVeda)
I couldn't believe how wonderful people thought this was and how bad it is in reality.

This review by AphroditeVenus sums it up for me to a 'T' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/reviews?filter=hate

LimeBurn

Über Member
The Internship - not bad to kill a couple of hours and was a smiley film if you know what I mean, but very predictable even before turning it on.

postman

Squire
Three hours of David Copperfield.Just superb,Harry Potter was David,a load of well known people also in the cast.Trevor Eve was Mr Murdstone and Zoe Wanamaker his sister,sinister and evil.It was brilliant.Got to say a little dampness around the eyes at one point.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Three hours of David Copperfield. Just superb.

Great stuff... I'm a big fan myself.

453px-DC_Bullett_Photo.jpg

jhawk

Veteran
Three hours of David Copperfield.Just superb,Harry Potter was David,a load of well known people also in the cast.Trevor Eve was Mr Murdstone and Zoe Wanamaker his sister,sinister and evil.It was brilliant.Got to say a little dampness around the eyes at one point.

I saw David live when he was in New Brunswick in 2009. Amazing show.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fire with fire. Absolutely abysmal. It claimed Bruce Willis was one of the main stars but he was in it for about six minutes in total. The main 'star' was most memorable due to his similarity to cricketer Jimmy Anderson and while it started off with some promise, it rapidly went downhill until it got to the point we switched over as how it finished meant nothing to us. Vinnie Jones was in it and that lad who excelled as private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. 6/10. One of only maybe six films I've not been bothered to stay to the end of.

Top Bottom