What’s your fastest recorded speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think the posters saying that speeds above 40+ or 50+ are janglingly, rattlingly, erratically, dangerously twitchily out of controllable sense are either doing it wrong or need to get better bikes or bike handling skills. Honestly, I have been riding at these speeds on many varied bikes, MTB/Hybrid/road bike/gravel bike/tandem and never felt unsafe due to bike behaviour or road surface. Other road users not paying attention, yes. But the speed and conditions are rarely the big danger or problem!

I think the posters saying that speeds above 40+ or 50+ are janglingly, rattlingly, erratically, dangerously twitchily out of controllable sense are either doing it wrong or need to get better bikes or bike handling skills. Honestly, I have been riding at these speeds on many varied bikes, MTB/Hybrid/road bike/gravel bike/tandem and never felt unsafe due to bike behaviour or road surface. Other road users not paying attention, yes. But the speed and conditions are rarely the big danger or problem!

I think I could have done that spped on the bike I had when I was a teenager up to 30ish
(some neer-do-well nicked it from my garage - bar steward!)

it fit me like a glove and was steady as a rock - not bad for the cheapest 10 speed bike on the market at the time
I probably did 40 ish coming down Wrynose pass on a tour of the Lake District. Bike was dead steady but I was worried about the bends and on-coming traffic so I braked
then I got worried about temperature of the wheels etc and let it run on a bit I could see what was coming

when I did brake the rear tyre exploded!

but in those days no-one had a speedo on their bike and strava was not even a glint in a silicon eye!

Top Bottom