Vuelta - **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisscross

New to all of this!

Chuffed that the Sky team are still up there in the top 3 - considering Wiggo was never a great climber that's a tremendous effort although when he flies past us with a little wave and smile whilst going over Rivington when we need oxygen masks you'd think he was the king of the mountains.

Is next week as bumpy or do things level out a little for the last week?

Do the same unwritten rules as the TDF last stage apply - where the lead isn't contested on the final day?

Who is your money on now?

That's exactly what my mum said! She's highly suspicious given how hard others were finding it!!

I have to agree with you and Raindog. In the cold post stage light and after a bit of digging, Cobo doesn't look as sweet as his win appears. How good is the testing at the Vuelta?

raindog

er.....
Well, if he's clean - and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt - then that was a classic ride.

The state our two Sky guys were in on that steepest part made them look all too human. I've got to say, given the way Brad dropped Evans in the Dauphiné, I now believe he would've won the Tour without his crash.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
what kind of digging?

He was a member of the 2008 Saunier-Duval squad that was withdrawn from racing after several positive tests. Some allege that it was only this that saved Cobo from testing positive at the time. The seasons since then he was entirely useless and hardly finished a race. Suddenly in 2011 he come back and looks like winning a GT. It is a bit... interesting.

what kind of digging?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/jul/18/tourdefrance.cycling
The rumours and innuendo now surround Ricco's team, Saunier Duval, whose climbers, Leonardo Piepoli and Juan José Cobo, placed first and second at the summit finish of Hautacam on Monday. Asked last night if he suspected systematic doping, the Tour director, Christian Prudhomme, said: "I was pretty disturbed when I saw the superiority of two riders from the same team on the stage to Hautacam. Like the rest of you were, I'm sure."

Smoke/fire scenario?

iLB

Hello there
Would it be foolish to hope he did it clean? It certainly was a monster effort, his speed/tempo never seemed to deviate with the gradient and he had a lot left to kick on in the final kilometre.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Phew, great ride by Froome and Wiggo. He was well ****ed at the end.

I seem to remember, possibly falsely, that Cobo was a bit dubious during the Ricco years? Anyone remember that?

As I thought yesterday - thanks for the research SJ

raindog

er.....
I have to agree with you and Raindog. In the cold post stage light and after a bit of digging, Cobo doesn't look as sweet as his win appears. How good is the testing at the Vuelta?
Wasn't it Mosquera who got done for a masking agent in last year's race after an amazing perf and running Nibs close for the GC?

Keith Oates

Janner
The main thing for me is that Froome and Wiggins are both now in good positions and have a chance of a podium place. This is better than I thought possible when the race started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildjetskier

The main thing for me is that Froome and Wiggins are both now in good positions and have a chance of a podium place. This is better than I thought possible when the race started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree and Paddy Power have Cobo favourite Froome 2nd favourite at 5/1 (worth a punt me thinks) and Wiggins back from 11/10 to 15/1

raindog

er.....
Got done!!!!

Still to get done RD!

You got to love the Spanish fed
Christ you're right - just googled it and he's still in second place for last year's race.
Surely the UCI deals with testing for the 3 GTs?

Got some info on yesterday's gearing.
Wiggins 38x32
Froome and Mollema 36x28
Cobo 34x32
which probably partly explains why Froome and Wiggins almost came to a standstill at one point.

Top Bottom