Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Lol, I'm setting up every tile and I think it shows how boring the area east of Pottyboro is. My home square isn't in the middle its 2/3 of the way east :laugh: I'm not sure if its showing the NE or SW corners correctly 🤔

View attachment 741208

View attachment 741209

My outer edges seem a bit erroneous, but thus far it hasn't been an issue as I'm filling in the gaps in between. The middle part that I'm focussed on is perfect though. I did an overlay to check when I updated it recently having expanded three corners.

alex_cycles

Veteran
14 new tiles this morning in a 40 mile road ride starting in Buckingham. Bit more A-road than I would have liked, but that was the reason I didn't have several of those tiles because I generally try to avoid A-roads where possible.

buckingham 14.png

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
43 more miles and 3 more tiles, taking me to 20x20. Bit more A-road than I would like again. It seems that most of the non-A-road routes within 10-15 miles of my house have already been traversed naturally in group rides. I can feel another gravel bike session coming on near Silverstone at some point. There seems to be a handful of bridleway only squares.

20x20 ride.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I took a trip out with a mate to a cafe in Orlinbury which gave me 11 more tiles. It had supposed to have been 12 but for a road closure, so I’ll have to bag that another time

View attachment 741131

View attachment 741132

View attachment 741133
image732Ă—687 127 KB

At the end of my TT today I went on a half hour cool down and bagged another 2 tiles

1723915615064.png

Looks like next year I'll have to go down the big hill and round in a circle (I didn't fancy climbing back up it today).

1723916062273.png

At the end of my TT today I went on a half hour cool down and bagged another 2 tiles

View attachment 741551

Looks like next year I'll have to go down the big hill and round in a circle (I didn't fancy climbing back up it today).

View attachment 741552

I added a few tiles, 67 to be precise, with a group ride that visited 3 of the nearest cathedrals.

1724014341164.png

1724014228730.png

Solocle

Ăśber Member
One interesting thing to note from going abroad, where my final ride did establish a mini-cluster of one tile.

Tiles are bigger closer to the equator.
1724062526478.png

1724062724821.png

Unfortunately tiles end at 85.05 degrees N/S due to the Web Mercator projection, otherwise you could establish an infinitely big max square by sitting on the North or South Pole!
1724062958804.png

1724063115103.png

Last edited:

Solocle

Ăśber Member
43 more miles and 3 more tiles, taking me to 20x20. Bit more A-road than I would like again. It seems that most of the non-A-road routes within 10-15 miles of my house have already been traversed naturally in group rides. I can feel another gravel bike session coming on near Silverstone at some point. There seems to be a handful of bridleway only squares.

View attachment 741519

For the Headington one the A40 has a bike path. It's a bit crap, but it's usable.
aSveK9fGfbbDhNOD_uaRDYqBbZ4vRSjNdLt69cTE-2048x1536.jpg

1724063755738.png

alex_cycles

Veteran
For the Headington one the A40 has a bike path. It's a bit crap, but it's usable.
View attachment 741779

View attachment 741778

Ta. Yeah I need to do a raid on the southern border and scoop up some down that way. Was annoying yesterday on a club ride to the National Herb Centre near Edge Hill. Went terribly close to the two I need near Bloxham/Banbury but I didn't want to quit the ride to go and grab them, as that would have involved missing the beer stop at the end :eek:

steverob

Guru
I can feel another gravel bike session coming on near Silverstone at some point. There seems to be a handful of bridleway only squares.
Silverstone area is pretty easy to cover. I've got all but one tile around there using only a road bike, although the Wood Green one would probably be more advisable on gravel/MTB if there's been even the slightest amount of rain in the previous two weeks!

1724084247524.png

The tile south of Whittlebury involves going in to the car park of a golf course / stately home and the ones two tiles to the west of the Silverstone circuit itself did involve a bit of bumpy tarmac if I remember correctly, but nothing too taxing.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Silverstone area is pretty easy to cover. I've got all but one tile around there using only a road bike, although the Wood Green one would probably be more advisable on gravel/MTB if there's been even the slightest amount of rain in the previous two weeks!

View attachment 741825

The tile south of Whittlebury involves going in to the car park of a golf course / stately home and the ones two tiles to the west of the Silverstone circuit itself did involve a bit of bumpy tarmac if I remember correctly, but nothing too taxing.

I've ridden past the Whittlebury golf course numerous times as it's on one of my "let's do 40 or 45 miles" routes. But never been in for a proper look. It's time I did :laugh:

Solocle

Ăśber Member
+4 tiles yesterday on the Granite Way, somewhat curtailed due to being with the parents.

1724747825771.png

One monstrously awkward tile there, which saw me leaning over the fence of a freight railway to try and squeak in, with the GPS on my phone showing success, but a screenshot attempt locking the screen instead.

Only for it the be the cruising through at pace on the return leg that nabbed it! Ah, the vagaries of GPS.
1724747958568.png

1724748054075.png

Norry1

Legendary Member
I took the train to Solihull this morning and did a 64 mile round trip from there - managed to nab 28 tiles which made a big dent in my North East corner and took my Square up from 38 to 39. May try a few more Chiltern Line stations (Banbury and Bicester likely candidates.)

alex_cycles

Veteran
I took the train to Solihull this morning and did a 64 mile round trip from there - managed to nab 28 tiles which made a big dent in my North East corner and took my Square up from 38 to 39. May try a few more Chiltern Line stations (Banbury and Bicester likely candidates.)

Nice. Let me know if you’re heading over Bicester way :okay: I was up near Edge Hill the other day and thought of you.

Top Bottom