Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Increased my max square yesterday afternoon to 26x26. I had set it up for a 27x27 and whilst I could have probably fired google maps up and routed round the closure (its pretty limited area road wise and severed by the A14 though) but I had already done 70 miles in the morning and I'd done 27miles to that point so I turned round and went home so I'd be back before my parents called. It was 59 miles when I got home and 129 miles for the day and I was back with 15minutes to spare.

View attachment 739981

View attachment 739980

My morning ride actually got me a few tiles but it was a group road ride; lol, two of them because the newer gps tracked the road alignment properly (the road down to the Willingham cafe, scone picture below). The other 3 were on the A road north of Needingworth

View attachment 739982

Added another 2 tiles tonight about 47km apart 'as the crow flies' so it only added 2 to my max cluster.

1722978690865.png

I took a slightly longer ride to the station. Could have done with a gravel bike on the tree covered and near permanently damp lanes (I'm glad I was there after a dry spell).
1722979067805.png

And got of the train a stop early in Huntingdon to grab another tile. It took around 24mins to get through Huntingdon and whilst I had a light if I opened up my back pack to get it, I'm too lazy so I smashed it home before lighting up (well went as fast as a backpack with clothes and a laptop allow) and clocked a 16min, a 16.5min then a 17min for the 3 subsequent 5mile laps :laugh:

1722979896689.png

13 rider

Guru
Another drive to the start my top left square is around the Ashbourne area where it starts to get proper lumpy as it's also @Supersuperleeds top left corner and he needed a particular square so I had company in the car . Parked the car in Denstone and basically did a loop around Alton Towers . The first 10 miles were basically uphill with plenty of 10 to 15% ramps my newly acquired 12 speed 34 cog on the cassette was engaged for the first time and I was glad I had it . After this the ride got easier and 33 miles and 2700ft of upness later we rode past the car to cafe at Denstone farm shop for a breakfast . 13 new squares for me plenty more for @Supersuperleeds thanks to my excellent route planning . Lovely route glad we did the bulk of the climbing early on

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Used Everytile this morning to get the two tiles below Waterperry Common and the one marked Peppershill. It works very well. Even though I knew I'd got the Peppershill tile in the bottom right, I went a bit further than I needed to, just to be sure. It really will help to avoid the uncertainty.

Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 15.02.29.png

Norry1

Legendary Member
Another drive to the start my top left square is around the Ashbourne area where it starts to get proper lumpy as it's also @Supersuperleeds top left corner and he needed a particular square so I had company in the car . Parked the car in Denstone and basically did a loop around Alton Towers . The first 10 miles were basically uphill with plenty of 10 to 15% ramps my newly acquired 12 speed 34 cog on the cassette was engaged for the first time and I was glad I had it . After this the ride got easier and 33 miles and 2700ft of upness later we rode past the car to cafe at Denstone farm shop for a breakfast . 13 new squares for me plenty more for @Supersuperleeds thanks to my excellent route planning . Lovely route glad we did the bulk of the climbing early on

As @13 rider said above, a 33 miler around Alton Towers saw me bag 25 new squares and saw my max square go to 60. I've just sketched another ride around the same area and it came out at 2,000 feet of climbing over 20 miles, it might be time to concentrate on the eastern and southern edges of my max square as it is a little flatter that way.

Shout up if you plan another joint ride in the week - if free I'll come along and meet you at the start point :okay:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Just had a 3.3 mile walk with the dog snaffling 2 tiles near Hinckley. Takes me to a 38 x 38 square.

Planning a train trip to Rowley Regis soon so I can extend my North West area..... West Brom, Wednesbury and Walsall.

I just did a North border raid on the gravel bike to grab some tiles near Farthinghoe.
Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 14.48.06.png

I would not have been confident about having got this one without Everytile on the Garmin :laugh:
Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 15.12.29.png

Added another 2 tiles tonight about 47km apart 'as the crow flies' so it only added 2 to my max cluster.

View attachment 740100

I took a slightly longer ride to the station. Could have done with a gravel bike on the tree covered and near permanently damp lanes (I'm glad I was there after a dry spell).
View attachment 740103

And got of the train a stop early in Huntingdon to grab another tile. It took around 24mins to get through Huntingdon and whilst I had a light if I opened up my back pack to get it, I'm too lazy so I smashed it home before lighting up (well went as fast as a backpack with clothes and a laptop allow) and clocked a 16min, a 16.5min then a 17min for the 3 subsequent 5mile laps :laugh:

View attachment 740104

I extended my main pm commute to snag another 2 tiles.

1723234684348.png

1723234892801.png

13 rider

Guru
Today's imperial ton saw me grab 14 new squares total now 6387 and add 19 to max cluster to 3422 , it was 42 miles to the first square which is north of the river Trent so I have limited routes due to only a few bridges

I extended my main pm commute to snag another 2 tiles.

View attachment 740429

View attachment 740433

Picked up another 4 tiles but this time strategic so I took my max square to 27x27 and added 11 to my max cluster.
1723410973394.png

1723411321708.png

I stupidly missed another tile I should have bagged. I'd have had to go across a field but that's not a problem at the moment and it was in my planned route :-/

alex_cycles

Veteran
Worked out a route that meant I could cover off all of the tiles that were part of Blenheim Palace Grounds, without actually having to pay to go in. With some small detours I managed to add twenty new tiles, which also increased my cluster by the same amount.
View attachment 740783

I was amused to see this at the weekend because I had been planning to clean up some of the same tiles on Saturday. In the end I had to change plans, but I did them today...

Screen Shot 2024-08-13 at 15.57.17.png

That took me to 19x19, which isn't huge, but I've only been playing this game for about 3 weeks. It looks like there is still some low-ish hanging fruit for another four tiles in each direction round my square and then it will start to require a lot more effort to extend. I do love how it's forcing me to devise devious routes and visit places I've never been before. This was a road ride today. I've been focussing a bit on the off-road tiles lately because the weather window for that sort of riding is quite narrow.

Top Bottom