Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After my group ride this morning I went out to that area again and grabbed another 3 tiles which added 17tiles to my max cluster and opens up another avenue to increase my max square.
View attachment 739084

View attachment 739085

I added 25 tiles this morning on a site visit, I'm a bit annoyed with my self as I was 20mins early and could have easily looped for some more tiles and the one diversion I took for a tile I didn't go far enough. The garmin IQ app said I'd got one so I turned back round but I didn't realise that I would go through it again :blush:
1722275771643.png

1722276545220.png

1722276485320.png

I added 25 tiles this morning on a site visit, I'm a bit annoyed with my self as I was 20mins early and could have easily looped for some more tiles and the one diversion I took for a tile I didn't go far enough. The garmin IQ app said I'd got one so I turned back round but I didn't realise that I would go through it again :blush:
View attachment 739184

View attachment 739187

View attachment 739186

I went and grabbed that tile tonight and the one next to it 🙃

1722366861673.png

1722366984923.png

alex_cycles

Veteran
Pre-dawn (well 0830 :laugh: ) raid on Westcott Air base. Covert incursion behind enemy lines. Mission accomplished.
Got these three. Wotton is easy by road. Westcott is fairly straightforward on a gravel bike from the South-West (along the Tramway ditch which isn't a ditch now) but you wouldn't want to do it on a nice road bike. Rocky farm track and lots of overgrown undergrowth with some brambles. Not too many nettles though. I only had to put a foot down once. You do have to lift your bike and climb over 2 gates though. I went early (0830ish) in the hope of avoiding people (since it's not technically a public right of way, but meh! Nobody was there to get upset.) Then I went on to get the Dorton one, which was extremely straightforward as it was empty of any livestock and just a grassy meadow..
Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 10.28.14.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 10.57.39.png

IMG_20240731_091429.jpg

IMG_20240731_091850.jpg

IMG_20240731_091501.jpg

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
62 miles of riding yesterday, some of which was familiar, but I still netted 47 new tiles. Alas, no change to my max cluster or max square.

There are some annoying tile gaps that are preventing my max square from expanding, but they're busy places that I really don't want to cycle. I reckon I need a dawn or night ride to fill those in, when traffic falls off.

13 rider

Guru
As I've now got to 50*50 it's getting it now impossible to get any squares with completing an imperial century ,so this morning I drove down to my southern edge parked at Draycote water did a loop around the reservoir then a bigger road loop around grabbing the surrounding squares . 22 new ones total now 6361 ,max cluster up 23 to 3373 , I'm slowly edging towards a max square jump which might be up to 52*52

alex_cycles

Veteran
As I've now got to 50*50 it's getting it now impossible to get any squares with completing an imperial century ,so this morning I drove down to my southern edge parked at Draycote water did a loop around the reservoir then a bigger road loop around grabbing the surrounding squares . 22 new ones total now 6361 ,max cluster up 23 to 3373 , I'm slowly edging towards a max square jump which might be up to 52*52

I was thinking about this yesterday when I drove to Ludgershall instead of riding the 10 miles there to start my exploring. Everyone will have their own personal "rules" but, for me, the fun in this game is the planning, the exploring, the finding new places I haven't been to before. Even the frustration I've had already twice in a week when bridleway entrances are impassable and I have to find another way to get that square.
For me, THAT is what it's about. I've ridden to Ludgershall hundreds of times. It's not about the miles. It's about the places.

Your mileage may vary :laugh:

Solocle

Über Member
An actual bike ride! And some new tiles.

I caught the train down to Ashkelon (very different to the UK, plenty of space on the train, but the hassle was figuring out how the ticketing works, and security was a minor inconvenience with a bike in tow).

4pm, southern Israel heat, wowza. But plenty of water and I was OK. 30 km to Sderot, and my first ever international tiles (as in, spanning an international border).
DD340CDE-5FF4-400C-A48C-A31BB62B62C2.jpeg

83725EA7-8427-47C4-A2F0-21315A6E09D6.jpeg

A1770B24-D41B-40AC-90F2-6D65152EFA65.jpeg

AB21972F-DB38-46DD-8D55-34F88A9FA2F0.jpeg

Norry1

Legendary Member

This is impressive 👊

I do find that when I plot routes to snaffle some tiles they are often now in the 50 and 60 mile range and increasing!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I was thinking about this yesterday when I drove to Ludgershall instead of riding the 10 miles there to start my exploring. Everyone will have their own personal "rules" but, for me, the fun in this game is the planning, the exploring, the finding new places I haven't been to before. Even the frustration I've had already twice in a week when bridleway entrances are impassable and I have to find another way to get that square.
For me, THAT is what it's about. I've ridden to Ludgershall hundreds of times. It's not about the miles. It's about the places.

Your mileage may vary :laugh:

I agree. I mainly do my rides from home but I have certainly driven to the start of a bunch of them. If I have a tile that requires walking I will drive there and walk it and maybe do a ride from there as well if time permits.

I have ridden my spangly race bike up more cratered lanes and long grass fields than is sane. Thinking of joining the craze and buying a gravel bike soon. - Not for this reason, but it would help.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I agree. I mainly do my rides from home but I have certainly driven to the start of a bunch of them. If I have a tile that requires walking I will drive there and walk it and maybe do a ride from there as well if time permits.

I have ridden my spangly race bike up more cratered lanes and long grass fields than is sane. Thinking of joining the craze and buying a gravel bike soon. - Not for this reason, but it would help.

I used my gravel bike for a few Cx races. Riding on the local bridleways is a lot of fun. The fatter nobbly tyres make it almost bearable on the rougher bits. :laugh: Since it's not been too wet lately I'm focussing on the off-road squares at the moment because I don't do mud. You also get an upper body workout that you wouldn't get on a road bike. But the going is a bit slower.

I'm off out to clean up my eastern border on the gravel bike this morning. Probably have a lunch or beer break at 30 miles in Quainton. Then one last square on the way home. This will be a 44-miler (no car).
Friday.png

Update to add: mission accomplished. 18x18 now. I wasn't sure if I'd get the last one at the bottom from the Quainton side as there was an HS2 closure, but I was just able to go far enough into the square to get it. I probably should get one of those Garmin IQ Apps to eliminate that kind of doubt. Which is the best one?

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Alex just seen your Strava post ,if you've got an android phone check out the app explorer help for veloviewer , map with vv grid on it with GPS location to confirm your in a square or there's an add on that works on garmins to confirm your in a square @Supersuperleeds uses this

Ooh I like that app idea. I DO have an android phone :wahhey: It was close. Only just got that one (bottom left)...

Screen Shot 2024-08-02 at 15.49.38.png

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Top Bottom