Useful bike carrying (smaller) ‘cars’ suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Exactly this. Any hatchback, it's not rocket science.

Of our 4 cars: None are hatchbacks. So while not rocket science - it is somewhat difficult if you literally have nothing to try a bike in. Or no previous experience of transporting bikes…..

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I solved this problem by buying 2 Bromptons. I know they are not everyones choice. But it has made things so much easier.

One of my missions today is to see if i can find a half decent heavy-duty / gravel / MTB type folder. Something I could do a few paths, byways and maybe some light off-road with. Definitely another option. Thanks for the constructive input 👍

Drago

Legendary Member
Just a thought, having been to a few over the years...

Carrying bikes in a car is dine if you have proper cargo loops to lash it down to. This generally is confined to estates.

Simply whacking the back seat down in your VW Focus SRi and lobbing the bike in the back is a good way to receive serious head injuries - or worse - in a smack.

Having seen the mess this can cause first hand the only bikes I would carry inside a car would be folders that are held in place by an Isofix standard rear seat back. Any other scenario then outside the vehicle is easily the safest.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Just a thought, having been to a few over the years...

Carrying bikes in a car is dine if you have proper cargo loops to lash it down to. This generally is confined to estates.

Simply whacking the back seat down in your VW Focus SRi and lobbing the bike in the back is a good way to receive serious head injuries - or worse - in a smack.

Having seen the mess this can cause first hand the only bikes I would carry inside a car would be folders that are held in place by an Isofix standard rear seat back. Any other scenario then outside the vehicle is easily the safest.

I hear you. And am with you.

I wouldn’t consider ‘on the back seat’. Or resting in place. If inside it would be boot only. And tied down. To protect the car. And occupants ! Same with van if that happened.

I think I’m going to go to Halfords later - to try to see if a folder would fit in the MX5 boot. I’m lead to believe a Brompton would……

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This has been discussed before, I think it’s pretty tight to fit one in.

I believe some models (…of Brompton) will - other Bromptons don’t ?

Taking a (Front) wheel off would be no issue. A lot easier / cheaper than selling up and buying another vehicle. For what may turn out to be a once in a while activity….

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I believe some models (Brompton) will - others don’t ?

Taking a (Front) wheel off would be no issue. A lot easier / cheaper than selling up and buying another vehicle. For what may turn out to be a once in a while activity….

I’m sure the extended seat post causes problems and some have to take the saddle off. If you’re close to Oxford you are welcome to try mine in your boot

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’m sure the extended seat post causes problems and some have to take the saddle off. If you’re close to Oxford you are welcome to try mine in your boot

I’m not ! But thanks so much for the offer ! Might even ask if any of my Facebook friends have one I can turn up with in my car and ‘have a play with’…..

IMG_6028.jpeg

Gwylan

Veteran
Big hint!
Do not get a VW UP, unless you can lift bikes onto the roof.

The balance between the front and back is only a few kilos and cannot take too much extra weight on the back.
The handling goes off.

Also the GTi braking means that it is not possible to fit a tow bar bike rack.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
On Saturday I managed to fit 2 off 700c cross bikes (both all complete, except front wheel off one only), 2 water containers (20 and 25l), water jetter, bike stand, rollers, track pump, rucksack, 2x lunches and sundry other items (e.g. number plate board, shoes, helmet, etc) into a Renault Zoe without the help of a timelord.

Yes, the back seat was up (or is it down?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom