Useful bike carrying (smaller) ‘cars’ suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The current (since about 2018 I think) version of the Mini Clubman will easily fit a large bike (mine) in wth the front wheel off, or it'll take a small bike (my partner's) with the wheels on, plus is very easy to load due to 'barn doors' at the back. Two bikes will go in if one's on top of the other, with something between them obviously. It's an awful lot easier to load than a small hatchback.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The current (since about 2018 I think) version of the Mini Clubman will easily fit a large bike (mine) in wth the front wheel off, or it'll take a small bike (my partner's) with the wheels on, plus is very easy to load due to 'barn doors' at the back. Two bikes will go in if one's on top of the other, with something between them obviously. It's an awful lot easier to load than a small hatchback.

Superb info !

Is the floor at the loading point in the rear; low and flat i presume. With no raised 'lip' at the very back (Which you'd therefore need to lift bikes over) like most hatchbacks ?

Superb info !

Is the floor at the loading point in the rear; low and flat i presume. With no raised 'lip' at the very back (Which you'd therefore need to lift bikes over) like most hatchbacks ?

This was the main problem in my old Civic - the lip was quite big which was a problem

I have not tried with the new Civic - the rear space is bigger but a different shape so I might take a while to work it out

The old one looked easy when I did it - but that was because I had worked out where to hold the bike and how to lift it and put it in in one go

first time was a different story!!!

Many years ago I had an estate car - that would have been doddle - no lip and nice big flat area!

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This was the main problem in my old Civic - the lip was quite big which was a problem

I have not tried with the new Civic - the rear space is bigger but a different shape so I might take a while to work it out

The old one looked easy when I did it - but that was because I had worked out where to hold the bike and how to lift it and put it in in one go

first time was a different story!!!

Many years ago I had an estate car - that would have been doddle - no lip and nice big flat area!

If i had more space - i'd have an Estate in a heartbeat. As it is - a Mini Clubman might well be the 'easiest' (To load) option: literally.....

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I do mourn the passing of the small estate car. Very few left now.

As previously stated; i'd be actively looking to give up some rear passenger space for extra boot space.

I mean there are 23 different variety of Mini's in every shape and size a person can dream of. Same to some degree with Yaris's; Fiat 500 even (?). To cater for every combination of space useage you can dream of.

I cant be alone.....

Dadam

Über Member
I think it depends more on the size of the bike than the car. I have a BMW 3 series GT which is not a small car. The boot is massive; in actual volume, it's bigger than the 3 series Touring. When the rear seats are folded down the length is ridiculously long too. However I can only just get my XL frame bikes in, and some need the front wheel removed. The limiting factor is the roof height against the seat height. It's very tight getting the saddle past the top corner of the hatch opening, even with the rear wheel wedged in the opposite bottom corner. I can get my Orbea Gain in (just) without removing the wheel. My Roubaix won't quite go in without removing the front wheel though. I think the steerer tube is slightly too long so the bars don't clear the hatch hinges.

The problem with some hatchbacks - especially the more sporty ones - might be the actual gap between the top and bottom of the opening

and actually the less sporty ones might have a problem as the more vertical opening means it might be a smaller opening

so - basically - unless it has big doors like an old fashioned estate - it all depends on the make and model

It is indeed, in all respects. There is a very slight lip but it's in the order of a centimetre or two; really just a thing against which the doors close, and the opening is certainly very low to the ground. My partner can easily slide her fully assembled bike in and she's 5'0". The doors are full width too, so it's very much a large, rectangular loading space with the rear side missing when the doors are open. Just to be clear, the rear seats have to be 'down' to do this (probably obvious, but just in case ...). Also, it does need to be the current model of Clubman as I don't think the previous one was /quite/ as long or wide, though it was similar.

The lip is about as high as the large dog's foot below (from the Mini site).
1728316083406.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
It is indeed, in all respects. There is a very slight lip but it's in the order of a centimetre or two; really just a thing against which the doors close, and the opening is certainly very low to the ground. My partner can easily slide her fully assembled bike in and she's 5'0". The doors are full width too, so it's very much a large, rectangular loading space with the rear side missing when the doors are open. Just to be clear, the rear seats have to be 'down' to do this (probably obvious, but just in case ...). Also, it does need to be the current model of Clubman as I don't think the previous one was /quite/ as long or wide, though it was similar.

The lip is about as high as the large dog's foot below (from the Mini site).
View attachment 748378

That’s really helpful. Thankyou 🙏

What years do the current model Clubman run from please ? So I can get an idea of what year / miles / spec might be able to get for my budget.

I’m not hugely into cars these days. And as much as I need a ‘tool’; a clubman in one of the Sportier guises might tick a lot of / more boxes. Appreciate your help again 👌

Gunk

Guru
That’s really helpful. Thankyou 🙏

What years do the current model Clubman run from please ? So I can get an idea of what year / miles / spec might be able to get for my budget.

I’m not hugely into cars these days. And as much as I need a ‘tool’; a clubman in one of the Sportier guises might tick a lot of / more boxes. Appreciate your help again 👌

Current Clubman from about 2014

What years do the current model Clubman run from please
The most recent 'facelift' was 2019, and the car I'm familiar with is 2022, so my comments are about that. Having said that, looking at photos, I think @Gunk is correct that the last significant structural change was around 2014. Before that, they had a strange, half door arrangement on one side, rather than now having six doors. That style is definitely not as big!

Top Bottom