Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Über Member
Ridiculously sensationalist stories in the news ~ there's currently one in the BBC Teesside local news 'Rats the size of dogs outside rubbish hit homes'. It's a story about residents in a fly tipped street in Middlesbrough. One resident said she saw 'dog sized rats everyday'! Really?! Best lay off the 'shrooms love.

Ahem! Chris Rea comes from Teeside, Middlesbrough to be precise!
Just sayin'

Jameshow

Veteran
Motorway roadworks - why do they have to be so long. Why not do a few miles and then extend as you finish one end.

Signs that sat we are working at night when patiently they aren't!!

Motorway roadworks - why do they have to be so long. Why not do a few miles and then extend as you finish one end.

Signs that sat we are working at night when patiently they aren't!!

I saw something talking about this
apparently it causes less congestion and problems if they have one long set of roadworks rather than several sets of smaller one where they are actually working
This is because the main congestion and the main point where accidents occur is the start of the lane closures
so the less of these points the better

Jameshow

Veteran
I saw something talking about this
apparently it causes less congestion and problems if they have one long set of roadworks rather than several sets of smaller one where they are actually working
This is because the main congestion and the main point where accidents occur is the start of the lane closures
so the less of these points the better

But they don't need 20 miles if close to put in some extra motorway refuges do one and then move along...

But they don't need 20 miles if close to put in some extra motorway refuges do one and then move along...

I think - and this is just me not any expert I have seen - that there is a cost issue

a) it costs money to close off a section of motorway
getting permission, submitting paperwork and all that
then paying people in expensive protected vehicles to put out the cones and stuff

which all mounts up if you have to do it 10 times for 10 different section
probably getting on for 10 times as much as one long section

b) if you want to do 10 different refuges (for example) then you can get the people and machines to do each task and move onto to the next refuge rather than getting them in and then getting the next lot in - then repeating it all 10 times

c) not a cost issue - but there are probably time penalties to some extent - and it is easier to control problems when you have one big job ratehr than - effectively - 10 smaller ones

In other words - it is easier and cheaper

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ignorant gits in supermarkets who try to get there before you by using their shopping trolleys to either block your path or give you the impression they're going to ram you really do annoy me!!! It happens to me quite often with idiots who don't look before they move from a side aisle to the central aisle. Would they just pull out from a side street onto a main road when driving, without looking??!! Then there's the ones coming at you who suddenly turn right, right in front of you making you hit those imaginary brakes! They actually see me and others I suspect, walking with a walking stick and do this! When looking at some of these trolleys at the checkout I notice some have fewer items than I do in my basket. If I can carry a shopping basket while walking with a stick, why can't they use a basket for their few items?! Ah! that'd mean a bit of effort and then of course they wouldn't have their intimidating trolley to depend on! And don't get me going on those who lean on their trolley while slowly walking with it, showing their bum cleavage ffs!xx( 🧐

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ignorant gits in supermarkets who try to get there before you by using their shopping trolleys to either block your path or give you the impression they're going to ram you really do annoy me!!! It happens to me quite often with idiots who don't look before they move from a side aisle to the central aisle. Would they just pull out from a side street onto a main road when driving, without looking??!! Then there's the ones coming at you who suddenly turn right, right in front of you making you hit those imaginary brakes! They actually see me and others I suspect, walking with a walking stick and do this! When looking at some of these trolleys at the checkout I notice some have fewer items than I do in my basket. If I can carry a shopping basket while walking with a stick, why cant they use a basket for their few items?! Ah! that'd mean a bit of effort and then of course they wouldn't have their intimidating trolley to depend on! And don't get me going on those who lean on their trolley showing their bum cleavage ffs!xx( 🧐

During the pandemic, i remember in my local store, they would queue up for the reduce items, then as soon as the assistant started loading the shelves they swamped her and were literally blocking her in to the point where she could no longer load the shelves, access her trolley or move and had to demand that they kept their distance and then required the assistance of the store security. In future, they had to erect a fence around the reduce shelves whilst they were being loaded at periodic times throughout the day. This, during a time that was supposed to have Covid related restrictions. I felt so sorry for the staff at these times, treated terribly.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
During the pandemic, i remember in my local store, they would queue up for the reduce items, then as soon as the assistant started loading the shelves they swamped her and were literally blocking her in to the point where she could no longer load the shelves, access her trolley or move and had to demand that they kept their distance and then required the assistance of the store security. In future, they had to erect a fence around the reduce shelves whilst they were being loaded at periodic times throughout the day. This, during a time that was supposed to have Covid related restrictions. I felt so sorry for the staff at these times, treated terribly.

Yes, quite a few shop/supermarket staff were threatened and actually assaulted. One had his eye socket fractured by some nutter who took offence at him for not wearing one of those mouth covering thingies.

Last edited:
Ignorant gits in supermarkets who try to get there before you by using their shopping trolleys to either block your path or give you the impression they're going to ram you really do annoy me!!! It happens to me quite often with idiots who don't look before they move from a side aisle to the central aisle. Would they just pull out from a side street onto a main road when driving, without looking??!! Then there's the ones coming at you who suddenly turn right, right in front of you making you hit those imaginary brakes! They actually see me and others I suspect, walking with a walking stick and do this! When looking at some of these trolleys at the checkout I notice some have fewer items than I do in my basket. If I can carry a shopping basket while walking with a stick, why can't they use a basket for their few items?! Ah! that'd mean a bit of effort and then of course they wouldn't have their intimidating trolley to depend on! And don't get me going on those who lean on their trolley while slowly walking with it, showing their bum cleavage ffs!xx( 🧐

A couple of times I had had problems with my knee - or both - which has meant that I could walk OK with a trolley as I could lean on it
but if I tried to turn it round even a slight bend or corner than I had to stop and stand still - then move the trolley round, turn myself - then start of again in another straight line

It really made me realise how much I tend to move to avoid other people when shopping!
Loads of people just carried on going risking a collision after I had stopped several seconds before as I couldn;t avoid them
So - basically they were just going directly down the aisle and I had always been instinctively avoiding then and for a short while couldn't

It was quite scary
It told a few trips - but I could put them into a few small categories -
a certain type of older person (CLEARLY not including anyone on here!!!) was one of the worst offenders - especially as I was younger at the time and apparently able bodied!

I did take to using a stick - partly to get to the trolley in the first place - put partly to put IN the trolley as a sort of flag

people are weird

Top Bottom