Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
People who hold their phones horizontally such as
View attachment 743149 or

View attachment 743150
Am I the only one that really wants to give the exposed edge a really hard thump into the mouth of or the side of the user's head

:angry: :angry: :angry: Agree, it makes steam come out of my ears whenever I see or hear it, I'm not interested in listening to other people conversations.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I hope the pictured user isn't ,Jenkins?

Hell no - you'd never catch me using a phone like that.

On addition, can I also add people who use the speaker so we can all hear their conversation in public.

Windle

Über Member
Another trivial annoyance that isn't really trivial, seeing the little energy efficiency rating card thingummy that came with out last TV. It shows how efficient it is and how little energy it uses, thus being environmentally friendly. Ironic really, as I'd only dug the box out of the loft to find the receipt and see what the guarantee period was (only 1 year), due to the fact that at just less than 18 months old the picture is going on the blink, with the bottom couple of inches developing horizontal lines and pixelation. Not much use being energy efficient if it's going to need replacing after less than two years is it :cursing:.
As I've said before, why don't the green lot get into manufacturers who make stuff that doesn't last? It's about time there were laws brought in that ensured consumer 'durables' had a decent innings, to mitigate the environmental impact of making them in the first place. Surely a TV should be lasting 5 years or more? But we all know why don't we?

As I've said before, why don't the green lot get into manufacturers who make stuff that doesn't last? It's about time there were laws brought in that ensured consumer 'durables' had a decent innings, to mitigate the environmental impact of making them in the first place. Surely a TV should be lasting 5 years or more? But we all know why don't we?

People that moan repeatedly, but don't notice when good things DO get done about problems. (and never do anything useful themselves)

Windle

Über Member
People that moan repeatedly, but don't notice when good things DO get done about problems. (and never do anything useful themselves)

Has anything been done about the longevity of electronic goods? I'm not aware of anything and as I don't make TVs I can't help much myself.
I know they are all supposed to be recyclable now but that's still wastage.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hell no - you'd never catch me using a phone like that.

On addition, can I also add people who use the speaker so we can all hear their conversation in public.

I blame The Apprentice almost entirely for this particularly irritating phenomenon.

Chances are it probably started elsewhere, but it seemed to become an acceptable thing as the show (which I enjoy) became more and more popular.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Has anything been done about the longevity of electronic goods? I'm not aware of anything and as I don't make TVs I can't help much myself.
I know they are all supposed to be recyclable now but that's still wastage.

As I've said before, why don't the green lot get into manufacturers who make stuff that doesn't last? It's about time there were laws brought in that ensured consumer 'durables' had a decent innings, to mitigate the environmental impact of making them in the first place.
I use a couple of QUAD 303 poweramps in my HiFi ,first launched in 1967 mine date from the early 70's and still sound fantastic, OK every 15-20 years they need capacitors replacing but you can post them back to the Factory Repair Dept. in Huntingdon who are happy to service them.
I also own the matching 33 'Control unit' (Pre-amp) but that is redundant at the moment as I bought a later 44 Pre-amp because that has 5 inputs as opposed to the 33's 4 inputs but that dates from the late 80's and when it 'played up' it went back to QUAD for repair.

People who hold their phones horizontally such as
View attachment 743149 or

View attachment 743150
Am I the only one that really wants to give the exposed edge a really hard thump into the mouth of or the side of the user's head

and if you start talking near them they get really annoyed because you are interrupting their conversation

prats!! (other words are available!!!)

simongt

Guru
Today it was sat on 'my seat'
Reminds me of an occasion many years ago when I was working in a posh hotel. There was a bench type seat right next to the bar and one particular regular always sat there, mainly because he could simply plonk his empty beer mug on the bar counter for a refill without having to move.
One day, another individual unaware of the significance of this particular place, sat down there. I obviously wasn't the slightest bothered, but when the 'regular' came in and saw this bod in HIS seat, I thought he was going to have a seizure - ! He went to a nearby seat and spent the next half hour scowling and muttering to himself.
Loved the sight of possessiveness in action - ! :rofl:

Reminds me of an occasion many years ago when I was working in a posh hotel. There was a bench type seat right next to the bar and one particular regular always sat there, mainly because he could simply plonk his empty beer mug on the bar counter for a refill without having to move.
One day, another individual unaware of the significance of this particular place, sat down there. I obviously wasn't the slightest bothered, but when the 'regular' came in and saw this bod in HIS seat, I thought he was going to have a seizure - ! He went to a nearby seat and spent the next half hour scowling and muttering to himself.
Loved the sight of possessiveness in action - ! :rofl:

Restaurants in Germany often have a "Stammtisch" Literally a "Tribal Table" for the locals.

I also know of an eighty-year-old woman with downes' Syndrome who had her own "Stammplatz" in the local Catholic Church and got very upset if someone unknowingly sat there (She also let the Priest know if she didn't like the hymns).

Top Bottom