Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a minor 'rant' about proper observation, to back that up, consider this ,just how many times have you noticed that people indicate just before they turn, or even as they turn or worse after ! Doesn't seem to be they have observed, just I'm turning in here better indicate.
So ,all the other responders to this moan, consider this ,is that what you mean by indicating regardless, as I have been a 'victim' of this.
Another pet hate of mine is in proper road positioning , it goes in hand with lacksidaisal signalling, people turning right invariably 'cut' the junction, they turn in across the left side of the junction , just where an emerging car or cyclist may well be, you cannot possibly see into a road that your turning into, especially these days as the roads are congested.
Is this innate Laziness or complacency, I have always positioned myself correctly to see where I am going,

It's Observations, observations, observations, makes you a safer driver / road user.

This is why I indicate (before turning) regardless: if it's a habit then I'm less likely to forget at a crucial moment.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Plus it would be the height of arrogance to assume your observations are infallible

grldtnr

Über Member
Plus it would be the height of arrogance to assume your observations are infallible

I never said I am Infallible , I am human after all ( well last time i looked!)
Just I believe I am very carefull when driving/ riding on the roads, I try my best not to cause someone else to take avoiding actions, they well not be as observant as I.

Yup
a few days ago I was at a local notorious junction where it is not clear what lane anyone is supposed to be in
I checked all round, looked over my shoulder both ways - only car I was worried about was blue and was behind me
I indicated and moved and heard a horn blow
there was a grey car now behind me - no idea where they came from but somehow I had missed them
probably just as well I indicated

It is possible they were dodging around and were hidden and it was not my fault - but it did worry me that I had looked "properly" and still missed a whole car

Windle

Über Member
But if that's an autonomic response to turning, then one must question, did you look?

I can't understand the connection between automatically indicating and not looking, as I said before it takes so little effort to indicate that it causes absolutely no hindrance to the process of careful driving. What I don't understand is the not looking thing, people regularly drive across roundabouts staring straight ahead, what the hell is that about? I can only assume that they looked so early on that the road was clear then, and paid no attention to the fact a car was coming round the roundabout at more than 1 mph and was already in a position which they should have given way to!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I never said I am Infallible , I am human after all ( well last time i looked!)
Just I believe I am very carefull when driving/ riding on the roads, I try my best not to cause someone else to take avoiding actions, they well not be as observant as I.

The comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular; everyone makes mistakes; I know I do. Teaching my son to drive has been interesting, as it makes me more aware of some differences between what I say and what I do.

presta

Guru
There's a simple solution to this...

Put your socks on first.

What socks, I've been walking round in bare feet for the last couple of weeks. There's an even simpler solution: bend your leg backwards not forwards as you pull your trousers on, but just like your solution, you have to remember to do it.

An "old person" thing is: sitting down to put your socks on, rather than gracefully pulling on each sock whilst standing balanced on the other leg.

I must admit, my balance is not as good as it used to be!

Don't think I have ever been able to do that - my balance has never been great

which I why tend to never stand properly still - nearly always wobbling or something

SO i have always put socks on sitting down or leaning on something

mustang1

Legendary Member
When person A says they have 10 years experience doing some job and person B tried to be smart by saying "have you got 10 years experience or 1 years experience doing the same thing 10 times?"

Errr, that's exactly what experience means.

Top Bottom