Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
In this hot weather, wearing shorts, i've discovered that opening the lid of my laptop results in the hinge sharply pinching both legs.

Wouldn't be so bad, but i've done it pretty much every day for weeks!
I made a laptop sized piece of hardboard to put under mine, not because it was pinching, but because it was painfully hot.
Try being an IT Technican and working out how in the name of ALl The Gods the cable you want can be untangled from a rats nest under and behind a desk
That reminds me of nurses trying to clip ECG leads on me. I'm tall, and they won't reach unless they're untangled first, but they usually have a good try before they give up and untie the knot.
try cleaning out USB drives that have been in a teenage girl's bag for a few weeks!!
I have a plastic bristle cut from a brush which I use to pick the fluff out of the charge socket on the mobile phone.
No by far the worst were the ones that screwed into the boards, like serial and parallel. VGA D-sub as well. Once upon a time they were little low profile screws you needed a driver to screw in. then somebody had the bright idea of making them tool free, so they came with 1" long knurled plastic ends. Perfectly designed like a mini anchor to snag on every single other cable.
I don't mind the ones with jackscrews or spring clips, it's these sliding locks that are a PITA
vbboP3wwHaEc?w=316&h=183&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

Not being able to put your trousers/jeans/shorts on in one go; foot always gets stuck somewhere.
Catching the hem at the bottom of the trouser leg on a toenail and ripping it off.......

This also reminds me of websites where you have a lost of items to buy and then you can sort by price, or brand etc but it always starts off sorting by "recommended". Er, recommended by who?

simple - in order of potential profit with a dose of "stuff that isn;t selling and we want to get rid of it without reducing the price"

AKA - marketing

lazybloke

Considering a new username
This also reminds me of websites where you have a lost of items to buy and then you can sort by price, or brand etc but it always starts off sorting by "recommended". Er, recommended by who?

Particularly when house-hunting. What's the point of them giving you a maximum price filter, but then listing multiple 'featured' properties that cost a £1Million more?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Particularly when house-hunting. What's the point of them giving you a maximum price filter, but then listing multiple 'featured' properties that cost a £1Million more?

Talking of property, why do agents get a percentage for their commission? It's not like they work harder selling a more expensive property than a cheaper one. Its a conflict of interest trying to get the highest price for the seller and screwing the buyer.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Talking of property, why do agents get a percentage for their commission? It's not like they work harder selling a more expensive property than a cheaper one. Its a conflict of interest trying to get the highest price for the seller and screwing the buyer.

Negotiate a fixed fee. I did that 26 years ago with our traditional high street agent.
I believe plenty offer that option.

Negotiate a fixed fee. I did that 26 years ago with our traditional high street agent.
I believe plenty offer that option.

It has become a lot more common since Purple Bricks started on nthe market with a fixed fee

basically it meant that any house price over a normal price for a 3 bed semi aorund here and you were paying much less with Purple brocks than with traditional agents

Thing is - I always found that I could always knock 1/2 a percent off their minimum possible fee - generally 2% down to 1 1/2% for the few house that I sold

But the prices the get for selling some big houses was just stupid!

On another point - I went to University with a bloke who became a solicitor
He started up his own business mostly conveyancing in North Yorkshire - lots of VERY expensive houses in that area

after a year or so a colleague mention that he needed to talk to his bank and get interest on his holding account
i.e. the account that never held any money of his - but just held the money of other people for a day or so waiting to be passed to the seller

It was generally holding a balance of over a million pound ON AVERAGE - and this was the 1980s!!!!

he was immediatly offered a 1% interest rate on the average over the month
That is a gain of £100,000 for doing nothing and off some-one else's money!!

Technically he was supposed to calculate it and hand it to the seller if they asked - but they never did

so it is not just the estate agents!!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
What if someone's in your blind spot? Surely indicating is an extra safety measure, no matter how good YOUR observation is?
This comes up every now and then on CC. I've never understood why indicating before every manoeuvre, whether or not there's someone to see it, somehow makes you a worse driver.

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
This comes up every now and then on CC. I've never understood why indicating before every manoeuvre, whether or not there's someone to see it, somehow makes you a worse driver.

It doesn't. What's really annoying are drivers not indicating because there are no other road users, only pedestrians and cyclists.

Also - indicating prepares for if another road user appears once you start manoeuvring and need both hands to properly control that vehicle
In this estate I need to turn left into a side road - and if another car is coming up that road I will not see it until I have started turning
at which point indicating is difficult
So you need to indicate even though there is no-one around to see it
YET

this applies far more often than people think

People also need to consider self cancelling
in some cases a driver can signal - and then the road curves and the indicators self cancel before the junction just as the driver is busy looking all over and manoeuvring and stuff
so they don;t realise they are no longer signalling

all in all driver a car is more difficult than people think!!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You are over thinking mate. My driving instructor told me not to indicate if there's no one around to benefit from the signal. Although in today's built up areas that's pretty much never the case. Police are not going to give you a second thought unless it looks like you are driving below standard

But how can you be 100 percent sure there's no one about? Some pedestrians, mobility scooter riders and cyclists are hard to spot due to similar coloured clothes to their background. I know it's a driving instructors policy to tell their pupils to not indicate 'when no one's about', but unless you're 100 percent sure no one's about, which in most cases is impossible, I'd and will carry on indicating for every maneuver.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the subject of not indicating, yesterday as I was about to set off from my home I saw a bloke get in his work van, parked on my right (which is bad practice, if not illegal) and slightly ahead. I held back kind of knowing what he was going to do and I was right! I pulled out after waiting over a minute for him to go, then I gave up. As I passed this van covering my brake he suddenly pulled out, causing me to break. He didn't indicate his intentions to pull out! He obviously didn't check his far side mirror. They just pull out these days without a care in the world!:thumbsdown: Then later on I saw a plod car actually drive through a red light,:ohmy: obviously not on a 999 call as it didn't have the blue lights and siren on and it was doing about 25mph!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There is no guidance in the highway code for whether you should indicate or not when not in vicinity of other road users and pedestrians. But, they is a mandatory requirement to inform other road users including pedestrians of your intended actions and failure to do so falls under careless driving as any minor infringement of the highway code is considered as such.

It seems under the discretion of the motorist/road user as to whether they indicate if they feel nobody is around to inform them of their intended actions, so both to do so and not to are both technically correct. On this basis though, if i was still driving, i would indicate regardless of if there was anybody about or not as it seems not a highway code infringement to do so and not risk potentially misjudging the situation, but as i just ride my bike nowadays, i do have a habit of indicating even if i feel nobody is around as i just love to wave my arms around furiously.

grldtnr

Über Member
I had a minor 'rant' about proper observation, to back that up, consider this ,just how many times have you noticed that people indicate just before they turn, or even as they turn or worse after ! Doesn't seem to be they have observed, just I'm turning in here better indicate.
So ,all the other responders to this moan, consider this ,is that what you mean by indicating regardless, as I have been a 'victim' of this.
Another pet hate of mine is in proper road positioning , it goes in hand with lacksidaisal signalling, people turning right invariably 'cut' the junction, they turn in across the left side of the junction , just where an emerging car or cyclist may well be, you cannot possibly see into a road that your turning into, especially these days as the roads are congested.
Is this innate Laziness or complacency, I have always positioned myself correctly to see where I am going,

It's Observations, observations, observations, makes you a safer driver / road user.

Top Bottom