Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ZZZZZZZZZZ and again this morning.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But 'blue whiteness' was definitely whiter than white!!! And Shake 'n' Vac did put the freshness back, didn't it??? :whistle:

Among my many jobs in early life I worked in a glue factory (adhesives for the shoe trade) but as the market declined they diversified into 'thermoset plastics' one of the products was white and it was turned into 'brilliant white' by the addition of a 'blob' of Violet pigment

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I feel quite uncomfortable indicating when police cars are close, as I have it in my head that they'll be thinking "He's only indicating 'cause we're around". On the contrary if they do! as I'm one of the few left who indicate my intentions for every maneuver, while many do not indicate at all! I post this message because yesterday a plod car was behind me as I approached a roundabout. I indicated to turn left on the first exit off the roundabout. The plod car wasn't indicating so I presumed it'd be going straight on, but no, it followed me turning off at the first exit! Even the police don't bother indicating these days!! 🧐 :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

grldtnr

Über Member
It isn't necessary to indicate to someone who isn't there!
You only need to indicate if it's helpful to someone following, as long as you have checked that there isn't anyone to indicate.
Remember the mantra Mirror - Signal - Manoeuvre Mirror , is there anyone there- Signal- do I need to Signal- yes I do, Manoeuvre.
Drivers often signal without thought or checking, it's an autonomic reaction, they signal without looking then get into collisions.
As you may guess , I actually do look and signal ,on the basis is there ANYONE there?
I don't always indicate when returning to the inside lane after an overtake, it isn't necessary,as that's where I ought to be, travelling in the correct lane.
This promotes save driving, I learnt to drive ride ,rather just pass an arbitrary test.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You only need to indicate if it's helpful to someone following, as long as you have checked that there isn't anyone to indicate.
Remember the mantra Mirror - Signal - Manoeuvre Mirror , is there anyone there- Signal- do I need to Signal- yes I do, Manoeuvre.
Drivers often signal without thought or checking, it's an autonomic reaction, they signal without looking then get into collisions.
As you may guess , I actually do look and signal ,on the basis is there ANYONE there?
I don't always indicate when returning to the inside lane after an overtake, it isn't necessary,as that's where I ought to be, travelling in the correct lane.
This promotes save driving, I learnt to drive ride ,rather just pass an arbitrary test.

:tired:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You are over thinking mate. My driving instructor told me not to indicate if there's no one around to benefit from the signal. Although in today's built up areas that's pretty much never the case. Police are not going to give you a second thought unless it looks like you are driving below standard

Chislenko

Veteran
You are over thinking mate. My driving instructor told me not to indicate if there's no one around to benefit from the signal. Although in today's built up areas that's pretty much never the case. Police are not going to give you a second thought unless it looks like you are driving below standard

The problem nowadays with not indicating is these bl--dy cars with lane control. I am of the opinion if I am going down a dual carriageway or motorway and there is nothing for miles behind and I want to overtake them I wouldn't dream of indicating. That is when lane control kicks in and fights you back into the inside lane. If you indicate it cancels lane control as it knows you want to move out.

Thankfully I don't have it on my car but it is on Mrs. C's car and I always forget to turn it off until the first time it takes over the car! You can't turn it off permanently but have to remember to turn it off, along with a load of other unnecessary features at the start of every journey.

The problem nowadays with not indicating is these bl--dy cars with lane control. I am of the opinion if I am going down a dual carriageway or motorway and there is nothing for miles behind and I want to overtake them I wouldn't dream of indicating. That is when lane control kicks in and fights you back into the inside lane. If you indicate it cancels lane control as it knows you want to move out.

Thankfully I don't have it on my car but it is on Mrs. C's car and I always forget to turn it off until the first time it takes over the car! You can't turn it off permanently but have to remember to turn it off, along with a load of other unnecessary features at the start of every journey.

I have it on my new (to me) car
It is strong enough to move me back into lane if I was just of straight and wander off course at an acute angle
but so gentle that if I don;t signal I hardly notice it
It does give me a warning if I have made a mistake
or more likely if it sees a line on the road and think it is the lane boundary!!

I presume some newer ones have more power behind them - especially the semi self driving versions

as with all these things - it probably varies between makes

Windle

Über Member
I always look properly, basic common sense & self preservation (probably enhanced by years of riding bikes, as with most of us on here I suspect), though sadly lacking in a scary amount of drivers, and always indicate. Indicating takes all the thinking capacity of two braincells and removes the risk that I haven't spotted someone who would benefit from it, say a pedestrian or cyclist about to move from the footpath to the road, from behind a parked car etc. The amount of inconvenience and aggro NOT indicting causes, especially at roundabouts on busy roads :cursing: .

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
E81E857C-CB60-45C4-9341-78E884706CE6.png
Really annoys me, the user is probably someone who cannot tell a joke without ruining the punchline by laughing at their own wittiness.

grldtnr

Über Member
If you have learnt to drive, that's the point ! Good all round observations, reinforces the decision on if to indicate, or not !
To autonomically indicate , often means you haven't observed proper, so clicking switches means you can do what you intend to.
That's wrong , you do not need to indicate to pass a line of parked cars, the reasons being there may be a turn on the right ,which you do not intend to take,which to oncoming traffic can be confusing. To overtake or pass your road positioning should be all that's required, as long as oncoming traffic is being observant of course.
I was riding my motorbike on a m- way the other day, made my observations before changing lane, when one of these stupid autonomic Tesla things chose exactly that moment to overtake me, I cancelled my manoeuvre to maintain my safety , but plainly this Tesla thing was set up to 'drive' at preset speed and distance, ....this to my mind isn't safe, it's fine if everyone else has these systems, but it doesn't abdicate the driver from taking absolute control.
Observations make safe driving ,not auto drive by wire systems.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

It's good to see indicaters if you are a pedestrian, the amount of times i cross the roads, i look around no one indicating i cross the road and a dick with no indicaters comes round the corner, indicaters are not just for other car drivers,

mustang1

Legendary Member
Hand picked comes into the same category as "specially selected"

and "New Improved"

means nothing unless you know the criteria which are being used to pick or select the stuff

In my experience it is often more to do with the profit of the thing than customer satisfaction

This also reminds me of websites where you have a lost of items to buy and then you can sort by price, or brand etc but it always starts off sorting by "recommended". Er, recommended by who?

Top Bottom