Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
In a similar fashion to 'can I get', a phrase increasingly used by cycling commentators ~ 'from the get go' :cursing:. Speak English. If only there was a single word that meant the same thing, and didn't sound so clumsy and make you appear a numpty. Yes...... start, that's it!
I can just imagine Ned or Pete getting in their car to head off to the commentary box and pressing the 'Engine Get Go button'. GRRRR.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A few times a week I have chips (sometimes the owners make me 'finger dabs' which are battered chips, instead of a battered slice of potato) peas and vegetable gravy in a local chip shop. I eat this at the counter while chatting/gossiping with the shop's owners. I hear customers, mostly in their late teens or 20's saying "Can I get", instead of "Can I have". I find this trivially annoying beyond my expectations. 🧐

Shouldn't it be 'please may I have...'?

grldtnr

Über Member
A few times a week I have chips (sometimes the owners make me 'finger dabs' which are battered chips, instead of a battered slice of potato) peas and vegetable gravy in a local chip shop. I eat this at the counter while chatting/gossiping with the shop's owners. I hear customers, mostly in their late teens or 20's saying "Can I get", instead of "Can I have". I find this trivially annoying beyond my expectations. 🧐

Really ! How uncouth of you standing in a chippy, dressed in your finery eating with your fingers !
If I buy a take- out I generally place it on a plate, eat with cutlery, and drink from a glass or cup,
Etiquette ,dear boy, etiquette! Standards don't you know.....

Jameshow

Veteran
That's most holidays, even if you stay in this country. We did a Fri-Fri last week but in theory it's really Sat-Thurs. :sad:

Just spend the last day out somewhere. Also the first day too.... Bonus extra day. I prefer travelling at night too less traffic.

grldtnr

Über Member
I use one of those small wooden forks. 🧐 :okay:

You still get grease everywhere !
However will you get those stains out of those expensive Cordings dud's,
I won't even eat chippy takeaways in the car, unless it's an old school limousine jalopy with the picnic tables in the back, the manservant can do all the cleaning.....

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Just watching the Olympics opening ceremony. FFS, BBC, you can provide all sorts of inconsequential / interesting facts about each participating country, but can't get your commentator to pronounce Dominica correctly! It's DominEEKa, not the same as the chuffing Dominican Republic, you effing idiot!

Edit: made a point of pronouncing the "Neevis" in St Kitts & Nevis correctly, though. Has someone had a word?

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
People saying "this needs replaced". I thought it was an Americanism but I've just heard 2 Scots say it too. It may well be grammatically correct but it sounds wrong to me!

The estate agent today telling me "the landlord wants a tenant who will stay long term" repeatedly. I don't care what the landlord wants; I'm paying them to use their apartment, and I'll move when I choose, thankyouverymuch.

I almost want to take the apartment and leave after a year, but it's not ideal and a bit too far from work.

Top Bottom