Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a friend some chocolates and quite an expensive bouquet of flowers today for her 50th birthday. As I handed them to her she very enthusiastically thanked me, seeming pleasantly surprised, but on seeing the 50th birthday card I'd bought she told me it was her 49th and not her 50th birthday! :ohmy: Damn, if I'd have known I could've got away with just buying her the chocolates!!:unsure:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seen yesterday in the local cemetery. Someone has smoked three cigarettes while sat on this bench and as you can see by the photo below, left the ends on the floor.

hc=RA9bU71G7PMQ7kNvgHwRVVx&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Instead of putting them in this few feet away basket bin!:thumbsdown:

hc=LxlqB02CMKkQ7kNvgHg9TUL&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Seen yesterday in the local cemetery. Someone has smoked three cigarettes while sat on this bench and as you can see by the photo below, left the ends on the floor.

View attachment 737736

Instead of putting them in this few feet away basket bin!:thumbsdown:

View attachment 737737

Probably just laziness

but if it was a cemetery then they might have been sobbing their heart out at the time
so best not to judge too quickly

when I was learning to drive one of the common routes my Dad took me on went past a massive cemetery. My Dad always told me to stay close to the middle of the road when we went past and assume that it was even more likely than usual that anyone appearing in the entrance might to something unpredictable
you never know what frame of mind someone is in coming out of those places
same applies to a hospital

sorry - thelazy git is PROBABLY right - but I thought I would just add some depression to teh thread!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Probably just laziness

but if it was a cemetery then they might have been sobbing their heart out at the time

You're probably right. There are certain places where smoking and fag butts are common place. Both our local hospital and mental health facility always have people smoking outside. A number of staff have challenged smokers in the past and were shouted at, along the lines of "I've just watched my [relative] die so shut up"

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I Just bought a drink for £1.89.
I handed over a £10 note. Then discovered I had 2 x £1 coins in my pocket. So I stopped the young lady and said just give back the note and 11p change, I will give you £2 and that will be fine.

She got completely confused and said she had already entered £10 in the till so had to give me £8.11 change. The cash draw was still open so she could have easily just swapped it, but I don’t think her maths skills were up to the job, and she thought I was trying to pull some trick.

classic33

Leg End Member
I handed over a £10 note. Then discovered I had 2 x £1 coins in my pocket. So I stopped the young lady and said just give back the note and 11p change, I will give you £2 and that will be fine.

She got completely confused and said she had already entered £10 in the till so had to give me £8.11 change. The cash draw was still open so she could have easily just swapped it, but I don’t think her maths skills were up to the job, and she thought I was trying to pull some trick.
Some tills don't allow the swapping of the amount tendered without a supervisor code.
And more and more places are relying on the till printout when cashing up. Shows who took what money as well.

I have this problem a lot: I rely entirely on the till and that sort of thing throws me completely.

I could work it out after a few minutes but customers don't really want to wait while I get a pencil and paper.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

She may have been confused but she may have been worried you were trying to use a changing scam.

View: https://youtu.be/QkhEHbHUhHw?si=8WS2j5flLYTfOAww

I know it's easy to be smug* about one's arithmetic skills (and remember, it's not JUST young ladies that are poor at this!), but her suspicion is hardly surprising. You COULD have made this simpler for her e.g.
"Sorry, I've just found some change. Could I have my tenner back and start again?"

It's obvious that
just give back the note and 11p change
.... could sound like a scam! :P

*[EDIT: sorry, that's a bit presumptive, you were probably trying to make life easier for everyone]

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Modern tills are a bit of a nightmare sometimes so she probably had no idea how to void the first entry if it was even possible.
Off topic a bit but one scam I had was to pay for something with a £10 note and then when given change claim they had given a £20 so were short changed.
Our staff were instructed not to put the note in the drawer until after the change had been accepted. We obviously had different compartments for the various denominations.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have done that a few times, and also been on the receiving end when I worked in a supermarket. You don't really have to void the till entry, as whoever is cashing up at the end of the day does not know which coins/notes and denominations were used. She could have left the £10 entry on the till and just given the £10 note back, took your £2 and given you 11p change. But it's so easy to get flustered when you've been on auto-pilot all day and are simply following instructions from the till.

not to put the note in the drawer until after the change had been accepted
That's what we had to do after a while as well. We had 1 person (that I can remember) trying it on, but the other few (that I remember) were just adamant that they gave me a 20, not a 10. One lady would not leave the store until I called the manager down, who said that they'd have to wait until 8pm to cash up, and then would call the lady if they were £10 over. Which they were not.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's what we had to do after a while as well. We had 1 person (that I can remember) trying it on, but the other few (that I remember) were just adamant that they gave me a 20, not a 10. One lady would not leave the store until I called the manager down, who said that they'd have to wait until 8pm to cash up, and then would call the lady if they were £10 over. Which they were not.
I had the opposite experience once...

I've been in that situation. I paused outside the shop, and went back in...

ColinJ: "Excuse me, you just gave me the wrong change."

Till Person: "No I didn't."

CJ: "You did and it needs to be sorted out."

TP: "Piss off - I gave you the right change!"

CJ: "Look, this is your last chance. You gave me £10 too much and if you want the money in the till to be right at the end of your shift, I suggest that you take it back!"

TP stares at me with blank incomprehension, flushes violently and slowly holds out hand...
:laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I know it's easy to be smug* about one's arithmetic skills (and remember, it's not JUST young ladies that are poor at this!), but her suspicion is hardly surprising. You COULD have made this simpler for her e.g.
"Sorry, I've just found some change. Could I have my tenner back and start again?"

It's obvious that

.... could sound like a scam! :P

*[EDIT: sorry, that's a bit presumptive, you were probably trying to make life easier for everyone]

I once had a cashier in Sainsbugs make a mistake, being a couple of days away from 'giro' day and down to my last fiver I went to buy some Cat biscuits, a tin of Cat food and a tin of soup plus some Bourbon Creme biccies. The Cashier gave me my change and also gave me my fiver back, I told her I think you've made a mistake to which she snappily replied "I don't make mistakes" I just said OK and left the shop with more money than I went in with plus a bag of shopping.

Top Bottom