Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
Just got my daughter her first road bike yesterday from decathlon at Wednesbury, a very nice 48cm.

Need to get a slightly shorter stem and have ordered a 60mm dead zero.

Can't wait to see her on the track on it.

ushills

Veteran
Talking to the knowledgeable guy in store the new Triban 5 uses the same frame as the current 3 but with a sora group set throughout for slightly more money. The new 3 is a downgrade (also cheaper) from the current 3 as the frame is different and should have been called the Triban 2.

The current 5 becomes the 7 etc.

Glad I got one of the current 3's.

Radchenister

Veteran
Yep, their logic had gone all askew - they should have consulted the owner club ;) !

Might be too complicated (?) but they could have gone:
New 3a - named the T2
Tweaked T3 - named the T3
New 5a - named the T4
New T7 - named the T6

Really should have kept the old T3, if they felt that it was in the the wrong price band or practically robbing themselves (remembering it was circa £330 in France and circa £360 in Spain), perhaps they could have popped the price to £330 ish but continued to call it the T3 as it was in the spirit of the original - if it had the other shifters (can take or leave those personally) and IMO the better flat topped saddle (which I do like the look of and would have preferred), it would most likely justify the price hike anyway - I also think they should sell the bike with optional pedal alternatives (adapting price accordingly) as almost everyone I know who owns one, be it in the real world or virtual, has changed the pedals (acknowledging that SNSSO has particular reasons not to).

:wacko:!!! Simples!!!:wacko:

DelB

Yep, their logic had gone all askew - they should have consulted the owner club ;) !

Might be too complicated (?) but they could have gone:
New 3a - named the T2
Tweaked T3 - named the T3
New 5a - named the T4
New T7 - named the T6

Really should have kept the old T3, if they felt that it was in the the wrong price band or practically robbing themselves (remembering it was circa £330 in France and circa £360 in Spain), perhaps they could have popped the price to £330 ish but continued to call it the T3 as it was in the spirit of the original - if it had the other shifters (can take or leave those personally) and IMO the better flat topped saddle (which I do like the look of and would have preferred), it would most likely justify the price hike anyway - I also think they should sell the bike with optional pedal alternatives (adapting price accordingly) as almost everyone I know who owns one, be it in the real world or virtual, has changed the pedals (acknowledging that SNSSO has particular reasons not to).

:wacko:!!! Simples!!!:wacko:
My head hurts! ;)

Radchenister

Veteran
Why not ;) !?!

... I did say 'almost everyone' :smile: !

Radchenister

Veteran
So as an occasional (9 monthly) long trip rider, you are possibly one of the exceptions to 'the rule'.

If people prefer the standard pedals - simple to resolve, you would be able to choose these pedals and put them on if given the option at point of sale :smile: .

Mine have never been on the bike and are unlikely to ever go on, as I've got combo SPD and flats on other bikes that could be switched for shopping Tennis Club trips, so they sit in a drawer gathering dust.

Radchenister

Veteran
I think it's reasonable to say that the consensus of people who've tried them would say they do make a difference; I can't imagine trying to tackle steep hills without them - however, I am 'the converted' so would say that.

There are numerous threads mulling over the pros and cons on every cycling forum out there, if you have a few years spare to read them, let me know what you think :biggrin: .

Top Bottom