Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How easy is it to change from 8 speed to 9/10 speed? I was thinking of getting some Tiagra shifters and then buying my mates 105 derailleurs for £15 each, would this all be compatible? I could always flog the 2300 stuff afterwards.
not - I think the answer is.
the space for the casstte on the wheel hub is an issue if I recall. derailuer would also need replacing, as would chain... but I am sure someone else will clarify with techie answers for me (headache after coming off my mtb at the weekend, now got black forehead & black eye :B) and no helmet...:whistle: )

D

Deleted member 20519

not - I think the answer is.
the space for the casstte on the wheel hub is an issue if I recall. derailuer would also need replacing, as would chain... but I am sure someone else will clarify with techie answers for me (headache after coming off my mtb at the weekend, now got black forehead & black eye :B) and no helmet...:whistle: )

Woops, my mistake - I'll try to explain a bit better.

I could buy -

10 Speed Tiagra Shifters
10 Speed 105 Rear Derailleur
10 Speed Chain + Cassette

Surely that's all I would need to replace? My wheels are Fulcrum 7's which accept 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Had my first comedy clipless moment on Sunday. Pulled up to check something on the GPS, forgot I was attached, and toppled over onto the grass verge. :wacko: Quick check to see if anyone was rolling around laughing in the vicinity. :sad::rolleyes:

Billy Adam

I could buy -

10 Speed Tiagra Shifters

Surely that's all I would need to replace? My wheels are Fulcrum 7's which accept 8/9/10 speed cassettes.
Someone's already done it either on here or triban owners site. (I can't remember who sorry)

D

Deleted member 20519

Had my first comedy clipless moment on Sunday. Pulled up to check something on the GPS, forgot I was attached, and toppled over onto the grass verge. :wacko: Quick check to see if anyone was rolling around laughing in the vicinity. :sad::rolleyes:

You never forget your first clipless moment!

I could buy -

10 Speed Tiagra Shifters

could just be me, if you saw me right now you would understand... if your wheels can take a 10 speed cassette then I am pretty certain you would be fine with what you mention - you may need to replace cables as well. but would you need to consider your ratios at the front as well with a major change such as this? not quite sure what you are aiming to get out of it - though I suspect one or two lower gears could be useful (taking my T3 up to Loch rannoch on Saturday and know it is going to be hard work for some of those climbs) (I was born in Glasgow, so can appreciate you may want a few extra gears).

how much would all this cost you? I know you like the T3 but at some point it will become cheaper to buy n+1....
also with the shifters - are you also getting the 'pair'.
you will probably need to factor in new bar tape as well.

Radchenister

Veteran

I could buy -

10 Speed Tiagra Shifters

Check this one out - it's been totally 'Carlos'd' - very nice it is too (well maybe a bit OTT for my tastes, what with the 'racing flames' but shows what can be done):

Link to data, including spec's: http://www.redciclista.com/bicicletas/rider/68116/b039twin-triban-3

download_zps152e5d12.jpg

Billy Adam

If I remember correctly the shifters would use the same bar clips and screw straight into them

D

Deleted member 20519

could just be me, if you saw me right now you would understand... if your wheels can take a 10 speed cassette then I am pretty certain you would be fine with what you mention - you may need to replace cables as well. but would you need to consider your ratios at the front as well with a major change such as this? not quite sure what you are aiming to get out of it - though I suspect one or two lower gears could be useful (taking my T3 up to Loch rannoch on Saturday and know it is going to be hard work for some of those climbs) (I was born in Glasgow, so can appreciate you may want a few extra gears).

how much would all this cost you? I know you like the T3 but at some point it will become cheaper to buy n+1....
also with the shifters - are you also getting the 'pair'.
you will probably need to factor in new bar tape as well.

105 RD would cost £15, chain and cassette for £20 and then the shifters would be the best price I can find on Ebay. I am quite interested in racing on my T3 this Summer and I don't think the 2300 shifters are going to cut it.

I'm only going to be getting an extra two gear at the back since I'm not changing anything up front, I'm more interested in having the paddle shifters as opposed to the thumb shifters.

Top Bottom