Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phred1812

just thought I'd come on and post my thoughts of my new wheels. I know its been discussed earlier which has been a lot of help to me.

I got some shimano R501 30mm profile wheels from Ribble for £85 quid (extra 10% off at the mo) and some Continental Ultra Race Tyres which, after reading reviews on other sites may be the wrong choice but we'll see.

Anyway, fitted them gave everywhere a good clean,lube, adjust etc and out for a twenty five miler yesterday and it feels superb, such a big difference, the bike just feels so much smoother.and looks so much cooler

My original wheels, when I took them off are showing signs of wear, so I think I made the right decision.

hope this helps others who are thinking of changing soon

I recently changed to Fulcrum 7s and Schalbe Luganos with the red stripes. Somebody earlier in this thread did the same and I thought they gave the bike a bit of class. I certainly felt a big difference in the ride and handling but the Radmeister thinks its a placebo effect. The Fulcrums were about £120 which is a good bit more than the Shimanos. Whether they are any better or not I have no idea but they are allegedly hand built and each wheel comes with a separate "passport" signed by the person who built it. They give me a "feelgood" factor which is the main thing.

Radchenister

Veteran
I'm sure they're great :smile: but they aren't going to perform miracles in my case - they won't get me up Frocester Hill, that's going to take hard work ;) !

FrocesterHill_zpsb5116d3b.jpg

Phred1812

I'm sure they're great :smile: but they aren't going to perform miracles in my case - they won't get me up Frocester Hill, that's going to take hard work ;) !

FrocesterHill_zpsb5116d3b.jpg

I must come and give it a try sometime. We have got some pretty nasty bumps in my neck of the woods too. My address actually has the word "Hill" in it and we are not at the bottom. I have pass the new East Devon mortuary near the end of most rides which can be a bit worrying.

Radchenister

Veteran
There's a circa 35 mile (ish) loop with Frocester Hill in the middle from here. There's a shorter possibility, heading out of Dursley, the road is called Whiteway and although steep in a burst I think it's a little easier and the loop is about 20 odd miles from here (hill below). We have good options for variants here, you can stay levelish in the Berkeley Vale or head up the Cotswolds or across into Wales.

Whiteway_zpsfb12b83e.jpg

Kookas

Über Member
plenty in birmingham store ...

Speaking of which, if you go to their Birmingham store by bike or plan on riding back, make sure you either have a good route planned or you're properly confident on the road. Wednesbury is practically a service station, so cycling and pedestrian facilities are nil.

There's a good chance your route will take you over a motorway ring road, especially if you catch the train down to Bescott Stadium. I found that pretty daunting at first, but if you can do a full-on sprint at 20+ mph up the reasonably shallow incline you shouldn't have a problem with the traffic.

R105

Regular
One tip - get some cone spanners and a 17mm spanner and put some grease in the hubs. One thing I have found is that the B'Twin bike wheels aren't that well set up from the factory. The bearings are set too tight for use with a QR skewer and don't contain much grease. They're not warrantied as they are a 'wear and tear item'.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

I got mine replaced no questions asked full new wheel cartridge and hub

stewby

Regular
Today could well be the day! Decided I cannot be bothered with the hassle of the Cyclescheme (read some pretty dodgy reports) which means my budget will stretch nicely to the T3 and no further. Decathlon in Coventry have stock in the 60cm (hoping that will fit my 6ft 3" lankiness as when I tried the 63cm frame before I felt quite stretched out). Have a half day toorrow for a ride out if the weather holds (or if I follow rule 5) .Everything is falling into place so time permitting I will head down to Decathlon after work tonight. Excited a little!

andyoxon

Legendary Member
One tip - get some cone spanners and a 17mm spanner and put some grease in the hubs. One thing I have found is that the B'Twin bike wheels aren't that well set up from the factory. The bearings are set too tight for use with a QR skewer and don't contain much grease. They're not warrantied as they are a 'wear and tear item'.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

I got mine replaced no questions asked full new wheel cartridge and hub

If one went back to decathlon with e.g. a defective hub, under the 'Sale of Goods Act', in order to dispute replacing the wheel/repairing, they would have to demonstrate it was not faulty at the time of sale (applies up to 6 mths post sale AFAIA). So generally I suspect this translates to them being pretty willing to replace wheels (under warranty) whenever a problem rears it's head... despite the wheels being subject to wear and tear. (but IANAL)

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Today could well be the day! Decided I cannot be bothered with the hassle of the Cyclescheme (read some pretty dodgy reports) which means my budget will stretch nicely to the T3 and no further. Decathlon in Coventry have stock in the 60cm (hoping that will fit my 6ft 3" lankiness as when I tried the 63cm frame before I felt quite stretched out). Have a half day toorrow for a ride out if the weather holds (or if I follow rule 5) .Everything is falling into place so time permitting I will head down to Decathlon after work tonight. Excited a little!

FWIW I'm 6'2" (188cm) and I find the 60cm frame great (even with the stem length); have a pretty good riding position with just enough 'elbow bend'. Although... for my height, I think I have a relatively long back and a slight case of gibbon arms. I'm 50cm across the shoulders, so even the ~47cm wide bars are good too. I have no problems either, with the front wheel catching shoe on pedal - even with crudRRs on.

Top Bottom