Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
On the subject of stems I brought one of these cos I felt I needed something shorter. Got a some carbon spacers and top cap to cos carbon fibre looks cool :smile:
adu5u6uh.jpg

gesu8ada.jpg
Yup....this looks the shitz in red!

I agree with keeping the black bar tape. Black 'n red = 'dangerous' in my book!:becool:

I changed my stem to a 'RaceFace' 90mm to tweak my personal fit. RaceFace make nice components and the embossed and milled 'Evil-Eye' on the front makes me smile. The stack height was the same as the original so no extra spacers needed and it was discounted to half price at the time. The slightly shorter length was just right for me.

As already mentioned....don't be tempted to make too radical a change in length or rise at first. Steering can become somewhat 'twitchy' if you go TOO short.

Best

w

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it's a great bike for £300 but I can't help thinking that once you end up spending £200 on new wheels, pedals etc. that it might have been better to look at a £500 bike to start with?

(This might have been covered already but forgive me for not reading through the entire thread - it's getting a bit long for someone not looking to buy a Triban 3!)

stewby

Regular
I think it's a great bike for £300 but I can't help thinking that once you end up spending £200 on new wheels, pedals etc. that it might have been better to look at a £500 bike to start with?

(This might have been covered already but forgive me for not reading through the entire thread - it's getting a bit long for someone not looking to buy a Triban 3!)

I suppose the upfront cost of only £300 is what makes the T3 a great entry level bike. The wheels can be upgraded as and when finances allow. However, I am inclined to agree with you and this is one reason I keep resisting temptation.

Widge

Baldy Go
Yup...point taken there, Colin, but I reckon even a 500 quid bike is going to tempt wheel and pedal upgrades eventually? The main reason people evangelise over the T£ is because it is SO cheap to start with! Also...it rides (mostly) perfectly well out the box. I for one probably won't change the wheels until they cr@p out on me.

You are right though..................this is one hell of a thread! A lot of people (including me) are very fond of thier bargain basement T3's. Riding on the crest of the wave of new-found British cycling enthusiasm, the humble T3 has become many peopls first introduction to road riding. All power to them I say.

It's also quite good fun upgrading and personalising your steed?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
To put the value of this bike into perspective - when I got back into cycling, way back in 1989, I paid £400 for what was probably its equivalent then - a steel-framed Specialized with a 16-speed 105 groupset with down-tube shifters. The fact that you can get a pretty decent bike 24 years later for £100 less is amazing!

Billy Adam

I suppose the upfront cost of only £300 is what makes the T3 a great entry level bike. The wheels can be upgraded as and when finances allow. However, I am inclined to agree with you and this is one reason I keep resisting temptation.
Yeah I see your point, but maybe thats half the fun being able to improve something and make it your own. Depends what you want really. Depends if you like to tinker with stuff.
As you say the T3 is a great entry level bike at a price point thats hard to pass up. Put a Half decent set of wheels on and you've got a very good bike.

Kies

That's a big jump Kies. Its difficult to know what's best until you have ridden for a while.

i'm between frame sizes - the 57cm felt a little cramped, so i bought the 60cm, which stretches me out a bit too much on longer rides, i have the saddle all the way forward, so a smaller stem, and seat back to mipoint should do the trick .... should make it a great winter/trainer/forum rides bike for me

Billy Adam

Cleaned and greased the hubs today . Grease was ok but way way way to tight. Spin test. Before 8 seconds after 32 seconds.
Hubs felt really grainy before. The rear still felt like it after ( don't know how long it'll last.) so if you haven't checked yours do it ASAP.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Cleaned and greased the hubs today . Grease was ok but way way way to tight. Spin test. Before 8 seconds after 32 seconds.
Hubs felt really grainy before. The rear still felt like it after ( don't know how long it'll last.) so if you haven't checked yours do it ASAP.

im wondering.... i cleaned and regreased bearings/hubs but didnt grease the axel or cone... should i have greased the cones before re installing?

Billy Adam

im wondering.... i cleaned and regreased bearings/hubs but didnt grease the axel or cone... should i have greased the cones before re installing?
I did smear some grease around the cone race and axle just for good measure. I think the over tightness was more an issue rather than lack of grease to be honest. But they definately run better now though.

malcermie

Met another T3 today, a lady in her fifties out for the first time on hers today, told her about this site and the T3 thread. I am blessed with having a public cycle track only about eight miles from my house, it has a beautifully tarmaced two mile circuit with a sedregated lane for fast riding, had the track to myself did five laps then home see http://app.strava.com/activities/42762206
This is on the site of an old coal mine slag heap and is free, a wonderful use of council funds!^_^

Top Bottom