Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radchenister

Veteran

sonartribe

Regular
Just picked up a T3 from Decathalon in Reading this morning, they apparently had a delivery yesterday and they've been selling like hot cakes, hence why I went there first thing. Got a 54cm, and they had 4 or 5 of various sizes still in stock this morning.

Anyway, I haven't ridden a bike for 20+ years, and I have to say that this weighs almost nothing compared to the bike I had in the 80s! Still need to get a helmet and pedals, and then hope for some good weather to take it out this weekend! Scary!

Anybody got links that explain SPDs, how they work, and the difference between MTB and Road cleats?

Cheers

Ian

Billy Adam

Welcome to the club Ian. I use m520 spd pedals and cleats They're mtb clipless pedals. I find them easy to use due to them being double sided, one less thing to worry about when clipping in.

Radchenister

Veteran
Mail order is the no travel option (for you not the courier ;)), you can't go far wrong from here (I had mine the next day - other stockists available) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m520-spd-pedals-ec005948 .

These are MTB style, they come with cleats - you need MTB style shoes if you go for these.

Other options available, including road style but I'll stick my neck out and say you can't go far wrong with these as a starting point and can always switch later (selling them on), they are fine on a road bike, despite what Rule #34 says.

Phred1812

That's impressive. My original front wheel would only do about half a dozen revolutions before stopping. I must admit I didnt go to the trouble of adjusting and greasing the bearings. If I am honest, changing the wheels had as much to do with image as performance. Having convinced HTMBO that I had bought a really cheap bike it was easy to slip the upgrades through without observation. Having said that, the Fulcrums and Luganos do make a difference to the ride and handling.

Phred1812

Mail order is the no travel option (for you not the courier ;)), you can't go far wrong from here (I had mine the next day - other stockists available) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m520-spd-pedals-ec005948 .

These are MTB style, they come with cleats - you need MTB style shoes if you go for these.

Other options available, including road style but I'll stick my neck out and say you can't go far wrong with these as a starting point and can always switch later (selling them on), they are fine on a road bike, despite what Rule #34 says.

Agreed. I use these as I already had the MTB shoes from my previous bike. They work fine for me but remember to twist your foot to release the shoe. Its not intuitive and can be embarrasing to say the least if you topple over slowly with your foot still attached to the pedal. Sod the rules I say - especially the stupid one about locating the pump.

Radchenister

Veteran
Seriously though Phred, they (wheels) likely do make a bit of a difference but having weighed in yesterday for the first time since Dec 20th and having lost 10lbs by simply cycling and minimal diet improvements (less booze, more carrots and apples as snacks), with twice that to go, I know where my priorities are - when I've done the 2K I've set myself as the target line, the wheels will be welcomed - I may do the cassette and chain in the meantime as that makes for pleasant riding but only when I stop going out in awful weather (so that might be at the 2K point as well).

Seriously though Phred, they (wheels) likely do make a bit of a difference but having weighed in yesterday for the first time since Dec 20th and having lost 10lbs by simply cycling and minimal diet improvements (less booze, more carrots and apples as snacks), with twice that to go, I know where my priorities are - when I've done the 2K I've set myself as the target line, the wheels will be welcomed - I may do the cassette and chain in the meantime as that makes for pleasant riding but only when I stop going out in awful weather (so that might be at the 2K point as well).

so when are you moving abroad?
nearly at 3K km's here. still original wheel - can't justify new ones given old ones are still working well after Decathlon warranty work.

Top Bottom