Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hey guys just wondering what lube you use on the chain been working away and come home mine looking like it will rust. On a budget so bargains appriciated!
cheapest option is chainsaw oil (I kid not). I am just waiting for my existing oil to run out (I use dry oil year round btw) before I change over to chainsaw oil (others have mentioned it and at £4 for a litre it is cheaper than bike oil which for what I have £7.99 for 250ml (but that lasts me about 6 months of almost daily use between 6 bikes).

Don't worry about the chain - rub it down with elbow grease and then use the bike and it will come off just as quickly as it arrived. But I will say I found the original chain rusted very easily. I now use a £4.49 KMC Z51 chain (quicklink not included in that price) with quick link and it does not rust anywhere near as easily. You can get it in a pack that includes the chain link as well - this one on Amazon appears to contain a replacement quicklink for £6.55 ex P&P.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I used to use WD-40 on chains! But no more... http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
WD-40 and other thin sprays are intended more as solvents than lubricants. They evaporate quickly.

Have bike oil from Halfords I've used sparingly on the chain recently (since getting the T3)
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_715097_langId_-1_categoryId_228374

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Before spending money check out what your phone will do for free. There are lots of great cycling apps.

My phone is a next gen tiny clamshell phone, with small energy saving screen & the liberating advantage of having no real useable internet...^_^

mO1pUecq6bv2qDCvfdWTGfg.jpg

Radchenister

Veteran
Ah ... but the T7 !!! ;)

Radchenister

Veteran
You make a lot of assumptions - it may have been tongue in cheek on my part; equally, your response might have been a double bluff but from the pattern of your posts so far I'm reasonably safe in saying you've not yet dis-proven yourself to be a dumb@rse ;) !

Top Bottom