Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Adam

Gave myself the afternoon off and did my first 25 miler. I love the bike - a huge improvement on the Hybrid although there is a lot of quality in the Giant. The one big irritation is the constant buzzing noise from from the little plastic windows on the shifters. I could always use a bit of clear tape to hold them down or maybe squirt a dab of superglue into the gaps. Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking of upgrading the bike but changing the shifters was not a priority and they don't come cheap.
If you have a decathlon near by take it in. You never know. Mine are fine. Is there a gap where the wind is getting or are they just loose?

Radchenister

Veteran
I was thinking about this as well today, it stops when your hands are in some positions on the hoods, so it's all the more noticeable when you move hand positions.

Snakman

Hi, I'm also the proud owner of a Triban 3. Such a lot of bike, for so little money! ^_^ I've had it since August last year, and so far no trouble, it did need the gears setting up at its free service at Decathlon, but since then its been fine, I to am going to upgrade the pedals eventually, and I'll keep an eye on the wheels! :thumbsup:

martin122

Regular
Maybe Martin122. I recall from your earlier posts that you are based in or near Dartmoor. I live in West Hill which is between Exeter and Honiton. As the name suggests, we are in no danger of flooding and every ride finishes with a climb. Talking about Dartmoor, I rode up from Ashburton to see the Tour of Britain pass over the highest point in September. Thousands had the same idea. It was a beautiful day, probably the last day it hasn't rained or snowed. Still, it looks nice today so I will try to get away from the office this afternoon.
hi phred1812 im in tiverton and off round dunkerwells Saturday. cycle a lot round your way might see you around.

Phred1812

hi phred1812 im in tiverton and off round dunkerwells Saturday. cycle a lot round your way might see you around.

I saw someone on a Tri3 last week riding up what used to be the A30 from Exeter before the Honiton bypass was extended. In fact, I passed the rider in my car and was so surprised I pulled into a layby to get a second look to make sure my eyes hadn't deceived me. A Tri3 could be mistaken for an Allez or a Secteur at a distance I guess but I was right first time. I don't suppose that was you?

martin122

Regular
no phred1812 that was not me I do a 34 mile route past airfield and on A373 but have new routes for this year that past Honiton and A30.

D

Deleted member 20519

Please excuse me for the crappy photo quality! I've just fitted new 105 brakes to my Triban :biggrin:

jai3BTT.jpg

Got them from £25 for a friend, 3 months old and in nearly perfect condition - stopping power is greatly improved and I haven't even fitted my new pads yet!

I get this problem, I never tend to notice it unless I think about it but I would like to fix it!
I to had this issue and it irritated the hell out of me.
I did a bit of googling and found some one who had the same issue on a shimano shifter but from a different group set.
They took it to there lbs who applied a little grease to a washer inside the shifter.

I decided to have a go at sorting it after my ride ride the other morning. It was very fiddly to get the shifter apart. But I did manage to succeed. I will try to describe how I fixed but I would look for a better guide on dismantling the shifter, I did find some instructions online but can't find them now.
  • Shift on to the smallest ring
  • Pull back the rubber hood
  • Unscrew the small screw
  • Pull the lever as if you are braking and shift at the same time and the front plastic cover will come off. A small piece of plastic and the metal washer will probably fall off.
  • The washer is the cause of the buzzing. Look in side the plastic cover and you will see where the washer is designed to fit.
  • Pop a little dab of grease on the washer and pop it in the plastic hood. Its a bit tight in there and the washer must sit correctly. I used a magnetic screw driver to get it in as my fingers were a little fat.
  • The fiddly bit, getting it all back together.
  • You need to get the plastic hood back on to the main unit making sure the washer does not move and get the small piece of plastic that came out back where it belongs. I used the other shifter for reference.
  • Once its all back together pop the little screw back in and pull the hood back.
  • Enjoy a buzz free ride :biggrin:

I some how managed to break the small plastic cover that covers the gear indicator. Not sure how. It still sits snugly but is now very easy to pry off.

I don't have much confidence in my technical abilities so if you plan to attempt this look for a more detailed guide about dismantling the shifter.

I am now! But this is way too small for me, but interesting just to see what it goes for

Phred1812

I did a bit of googling and found some one who had the same issue on a shimano shifter but from a different group set.
They took it to there lbs who applied a little grease to a washer inside the shifter.

I decided to have a go at sorting it after my ride ride the other morning. It was very fiddly to get the shifter apart. But I did manage to succeed. I will try to describe how I fixed but I would look for a better guide on dismantling the shifter, I did find some instructions online but can't find them now.
  • Pull the lever as if you are braking and shift at the same time and the front plastic cover will come off. A small piece of plastic and the metal washer will probably fall off.
  • The washer is the cause of the buzzing. Look in side the plastic cover and you will see where the washer is designed to fit.
  • Pop a little dab of grease on the washer and pop it in the plastic hood. Its a bit tight in there and the washer must sit correctly. I used a magnetic screw driver to get it in as my fingers were a little fat.
  • You need to get the plastic hood back on to the main unit making sure the washer does not move and get the small piece of plastic that came out back where it belongs. I used the other shifter for reference.
  • Once its all back together pop the little screw back in and pull the hood back.
I some how managed to break the small plastic cover that covers the gear indicator. Not sure how. It still sits snugly but is now very easy to pry off.

I don't have much confidence in my technical abilities so if you plan to attempt this look for a more detailed guide about dismantling the shifter.

Ah I see you had the same problem as me with the shifter cable I agree that’s it fiddly with my hands "like banana's" but marshalling my patience I did do it eventually Though in my case I was merely adjusting the cable and got carried away

Phred1812

Thanks Chris,

I'll give this a try. It does seem to me that its the plastic covers that are buzzing because a light touch stops the noise. However I love to strip things down to basics so will follow your detailed advice.

But we can't get rid of our beloved bikes yet? I've got to justify the cost of mine yet and what about all the upgrades we all doing? I seem to remember that one before Christmas had lots of extras on it? Is that the one you were watching Radchenister

Top Bottom