Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cones don't look great (total so far 15-20mls) - I suppose at least the manufacture imperfections aren't on the bearing track.

Non-drive side cone:
8453500247_6e96299011_b.jpg
P1160284 by ao, on Flickr

Drive side cone (some grease on cone still):
8453500565_95e3d9460c_b.jpg
P1160308 by ao, on Flickr
That's an understatement - those cones look like they have done 20,000 miles rather than just 20 ...! :eek:

Radchenister

Veteran
Got any 20,000 milers for comparison CJ?

Radchenister

Veteran
Given all the worries people have with them, I think it's time to take a proper look into the issues ... I'm going to take mine apart over the weekend and have a look with my very experienced engineer relative (who is recently retired but has a nice workshop ;) and a career's worth of experience both professionally and on the tinkering front, concerning anything from cycles, motorbikes, classic cars, through to race cars, military vehicles and even a biplane) ... I'll see what he thinks - I may compose a letter to Decathlon on all our behalf if what we find is of any real concern.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those cones need replaced. The bearing surfaces are never going to let your bearings run smoothly. Could try decathlon for them, I got mine on eBay.
Agreed. I think Decathlon should sort that out because it isn't good enough on a newish bike, even a low-cost one.

My 20,000 mile wheels suddenly started rumbling but I was in the middle of a 100 mile sportive ride in the Cotswolds at the time so I just carried on riding. When I got home I found that the cones had come loose and the result was seriously knackered hubs.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
OK here's the deal. Technically taking the wheels apart voids the Decathlon warranty on the wheels - this procedure has to be done by a 'qualified mechanic'. Decathlon say I can take the bike into them and they'll keep it for a few days to assess what needs doing? Sounds fair enough, but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of that TBH; or should I just do it?

Given I've regreased etc - may just use them until 3 month service and then get them to have a look.

Radchenister

Veteran
I'll be interested in a discussion with someone telling me I can't re-grease my own wheels (with the help of my own friendly qualified mechanic / engineer) if they don't work right and my options are either an hour to Birmingham or a bit more to Reading to leave my bike for a 'few days' ;) .

Sure someone could knock up an equation relating to effort v cost and hassle factor - your call I reckon; keep us posted though.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I'll be interested in a discussion with someone telling me I can't re-grease my own wheels (with the help of my own friendly qualified mechanic / engineer) if they don't work right and my options are either an hour to Birmingham or a bit more to Reading to leave my bike for a 'few days' ;) .

Sure someone could knock up an equation relating to effort v cost and hassle factor - your call I reckon; keep us posted though.

I said to staff along the lines of 'so we can't maintain our own wheels then?', and the response was along the lines of 'I hear you... but I don't make the rules - it's company policy I'm afraid'...

Given nothing's actually broken, I'll prolly just wait until the service.

Radchenister

Veteran
I don't think they're terrible wheels (they're cheap as chips after all) and we may all be getting into a bit of a tizzy but the hubs and grease keep coming up as the weak link and I think someone mentioned even Decathlon acknowledged they may be light on grease as factory assembled, so it won't stop me doing what I consider to be reasonable maintenance in the circumstances and making my own assessments as to whether I spend 4 hrs on round trips in the car for what is, let's face it, a fairly simple exercise to do at home.

... but then I'll probably upgrade at some point, so don't listen to me too much; I am serious about keeping a record though - please do keep me posted.

Kies

Never had any issues with my bike and it's a good 9 months old now. I should service it and grease the hubs,if i ever get a fettle day to myself

My decathlon branch had no issues with me having dismantelled the hubs and re-greased the bearings. I also mentioned that I has been trying to disassemble the bike to get the BB out to clean and regrease and was asked to bring it in. I ended up with a whole load of parts replaced under warranty including a new rear hub innards & BB (which broke when they took it off). I have also replaced the stem, drops, brake pads & added cross levers - again none of that was an issue for the Warrington branch.

Top Bottom