Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
What a very odd looking riding position.

I finally got round to cleaning and greasing wheel hubs today. Found it quite easy, next job is checking the bottom bracket.

Also changed the brake pads to these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55814

I'll be interested in your BB check. Do we know what the model of bottom bracket is?

Radchenister

Veteran
i guess no one is having the same gear issue as me :sad:

Star84, let's try and help you: to do so we'll need to define the issue bette. You've mentioned the first gear not working and just not feeling right so far. Are you hearing noises? Are you in the small cog on the front and small cogs on the back with the chain angled? What precisely are you doing when the problem occurs? What terrain are you on when it happens?

If I can just butt in here for just the one little post? Well just to welcome myself to the owners club now I've got mine!! LOL
Just to say I just got my Triban yesterday morning (I only oderedit from france on last friday evening) and have had some little problem setting up the gear changs for the front chain wheels as the small return lever tends to really stiff.
That said I did just manage to let my self have a short ride of a about 3 miles to get used to the gear positions on the brake levers as not ridden a drop bar roadie for thirty years It does feel strange. Though I can't get over just how quick this bike really is (light too even a 60cm frame) compared to my big Trek 7200
That said Ive yet to drop the wheels out and whack some grease on the wheel bearings any thing else I should look out for?
I will post pics soon. Oh I have changed the pedals to Shimarno A520 doubled sided SPD's

star84

Regular
Star84, let's try and help you: to do so we'll need to define the issue bette. You've mentioned the first gear not working and just not feeling right so far. Are you hearing noises? Are you in the small cog on the front and small cogs on the back with the chain angled? What precisely are you doing when the problem occurs? What terrain are you on when it happens?
small front, large rear and i get a rattling noise aslo tried small front with secound to largest rear same rattle or cranking noise and it frequently slipped making it impossible to ride on that gear kind of ruined my ride but when i changed back to the middle front/middle rear it fine so only the middle and largest front/ middle and smallest rear works fine on my bike...thanks

andyoxon

Legendary Member
If I can just butt in here for just the one little post? Well just to welcome myself to the owners club now I've got mine!! LOL
Just to say I just got my Triban yesterday morning (I only oderedit from france on last friday evening) and have had some little problem setting up the gear changs for the front chain wheels as the small return lever tends to really stiff.
That said I did just manage to let my self have a short ride of a about 3 miles to get used to the gear positions on the brake levers as not ridden a drop bar roadie for thirty years It does feel strange. Though I can't get over just how quick this bike really is (light too even a 60cm frame) compared to my big Trek 7200
That said Ive yet to drop the wheels out and whack some grease on the wheel bearings any thing else I should look out for?
I will post pics soon. Oh I have changed the pedals to Shimarno A520 doubled sided SPD's

I noticed the lever is a bit stiff. I'm going to give it a shot of GT85 soon; also the faster one is going when changing may make it easy for the front mech to move the chain...(?)

Duckehhh

maybe reindex your gears. only time i get chain rub is when I have it in big/big and small/small. but never use those combos, so have no issues.

malcermie

I noticed the lever is a bit stiff. I'm going to give it a shot of GT85 soon; also the faster one is going when changing may make it easy for the front mech to move the chain...(?)
Taking the pressure off the pedals when changing will make a huge difference, keep pedalling forward gently. This is even more important for the front mech.:thumbsup:

Radchenister

Veteran
small front, large rear and i get a rattling noise aslo tried small front with secound to largest rear same rattle or cranking noise and it frequently slipped making it impossible to ride on that gear kind of ruined my ride but when i changed back to the middle front/middle rear it fine so only the middle and largest front/ middle and smallest rear works fine on my bike...thanks

Sounds to me it's a combination of factors working against you, some mechanical tweaking might be in order, as well as perhaps developing more gear / dérailleur awareness ... hope you don't mind me assuming and correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like both are combining to knock back your confidence. Have a look at the advice for using your gears efficiently on the Youtube clip posted previously, this should get your mind set into the right place and there's also loads of indexing advice on Youtube should that prove to be an issue that really needs addressing as well.

For improving your own state of mind, it is also worth trying to really dial in on quite what is happening and pinpoint where is the rattle coming from and the surrounding influences at the time. If it was me, I would go for a quiet back lane ride for 10 - 15 minutes with absolutely no thoughts given to speed / distance etc. and purely concentrate on the problems you've highlighted with the gears, trying to spot the patterns (sun might come out soon?); is the sound coming from the front / rear / both dérailleurs, what's happening in different terrains and in different gears?

When out riding even with the gears indexed OK, sometimes you need to tweak the long levers a touch to get a dérailleur sitting right, just after you've changed gears, by that I mean not exerting as much pressure as when actually changing gear but enough to change a dérailleur position slightly for the better. Sometimes it is necessary to knock it back with the small lever and pull it across again with the big lever - be careful with the front one if doing this, as you could get in a mess, less harm can be done with the rear but still be careful.

Malcermie makes a good point on trying to get in tune with the mechanics, keep it smooth and consider what happens under load, try and keep it whirring away nicely etc.; one thing's for sure, if we all wanted to go out and shred the gears for the majority of the ride, it is possible to do that quite easily, even with properly indexed gears, so don't sweat too much if it happens on occasions - at the moment you've got this gear shredding thing sussed, we'll see if we can get that inverted ;) .

star84

Regular
i have jus looked at it properly and the noise is deffinately from the chain sliping from the rear largest gear to the rear second large gear with the front gear on the smallest...the chain cant seat on the rear largest gear this is the problem how can it be fixed ?

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i need some help please gents, if someone could be so kind as to take a picture of the distance between the rear derailleur and cassette when in first gear. i.e small at front, big at back.

I have installed a different cassette and its seems ok but i'd like to see the difference.......

thanks in advance....

simon.r

Person

Kookas

Über Member
Free wheel's started playing up. Sometimes sticks for a moment as I stop pedalling and makes the chain jump, and makes rackety old noises whenever the back wheel turns. Guess I ought to get some grease into it, though ideally I could just buy a new wheel set.

Top Bottom