Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

Don't forget to take some pictures of the steed with the new wheels when the sun comes out.

How did the service go?

Don't worry I will take some photos tomorrow as for once it's clean! I had to clean it before taking it in today, it was embarrassing filthy. :blush:

The service went ok but it just took a long time. No-one there when I took it in at lunchtime then when someone was available to service it, it took quite a while to do and eventually it was decided it needed a new chain so then everything had to be adjusted again.

Another chain? Were you still on the one that Halfords fitted?

Typhon

Yep I was. It had done about 1200 miles since Halfords fitted in so was understandably a bit worn and probably needed replacing. I just hope this one lasts longer than the one that came with the bike! Although I think what make that break was the gears not being set up properly, rather than the chain itself.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
finally got round to checking my hubs.....

was weird, only had grease one side on both wheels..... as you can see in the pic, half the bearings have grease, half dont.

photo 4.JPG

photo 10.JPG
photo 20.jpg

cones dont look great either

Has anyone any suggestions on mudguards for the triban
depends what tyres you are on, and what tryes you want to stay with in future. SKS chromoplastics do fit, but are fiddly to fit and don't work well with 25mm tyres so best for 23mm and under tyres. Otherwise I understand that the crud catcher road set mk 2 may also fit - not sure with what tyres though. I have the SKS chromoplastics fitted with 25mm tyres and basically have had to bodge it in places... think hacksaw and my rear mudguard needs the pannier rack to stay on the bike :whistle: (but it is worth it IMO)

Billy Adam

depends what tyres you are on, and what tryes you want to stay with in future. SKS chromoplastics do fit, but are fiddly to fit and don't work well with 25mm tyres so best for 23mm and under tyres. Otherwise I understand that the crud catcher road set mk 2 may also fit - not sure with what tyres though. I have the SKS chromoplastics fitted with 25mm tyres and basically have had to bodge it in places... think hacksaw and my rear mudguard needs the pannier rack to stay on the bike :whistle: (but it is worth it IMO)
I've got the 23's it came with, I think I've seen the crud catchers at the local halfords so might give those a go. Thanks

G3CWI

Veteran
Crud catchers on mine. Halfords fitted them for a fiver but didn't do a great job. Would have been better doing it myself.

Rodderstrotter

Should be 3/16" bearings in the front and 1/4" bearings in the rear. I had replace my front cones because of overtightening at the factory but the bearings, being harder were ok.

Thanks, spot on, wouldn't have thought front and rear were different sizes. Bearings now replaced on the front, even smoother now, like new. Rear was surprisingly good, no rust so just repacked with new grease.

Top Bottom