Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would have thought any Decathlon store would honour the warranty, can you get to one?

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Lithium greasing my rear bearings...

Cones don't look great (total so far 15-20mls) - I suppose at least the manufacture imperfections aren't on the bearing track.

Also, IMO the cones ship to tight, because the wheel moved more smoothly when leaving a slight play in the wheel which disappears on QR clamping.

Also notice that the rear wheel is not true, and that the spoke tensions seem a tad dodgy - may need to visit a trueing stand owning friend.

8453500045_95f4cd8d6a_b.jpg
P1160279 by ao, on Flickr

Non-drive side cone:
8453500247_6e96299011_b.jpg
P1160284 by ao, on Flickr

Drive side cone (some grease on cone still):
8453500565_95e3d9460c_b.jpg
P1160308 by ao, on Flickr

Existing grease, before repacking in lithium g.
8453500719_f73a9d8b3b_b.jpg
P1160296 by ao, on Flickr

My vice rig - axle is clamped in Park AV-1 adapter (preventing thread damage).
8454592658_ae2284a38b_b.jpg
P1160325 by ao, on Flickr

danjanoob

Well, I bought mine a couple of weeks back. To cut a long story short...

I'm 5'8. Felt good at first in a 57cm, but after my first long day on it (2 x 18 miles) I realised a couple of miles from home my bum was coming forward on the seat, especially when on the drops. This resulted in a seriously sore gooch. I thought nothing of it. Thought it was just being new to a road bike. But then I looked in to it and did some reading and realised the bike was just too big for me. I adjusted the seat forward but this didn't really fix the issue and I felt like I was trying to trick myself.

So, some of you may remember I had quite a bad experience in Decathlon on my first visit. Credit where it's due, the Lakeside store did themselves proud this time around (despite it being 8pm that I showed up). They had no issue with swapping the bike for me even though I'd done 40 miles on mine. Iain was helping me this time and was happy to chat about his cycling exploits, while he did a quick inspection on the bike i brought back, and spent a final few minutes adjusting my new bike in various areas. Here are the two things that really impressed me:

- I had phoned earlier in the day and explained the issue. When I arrived at the store, a 54cm was on the stand and he had clearly been setting it up. I don't know if he had me in mind or would have been doing that anyway, but I felt like he had done this with my call in mind. I think this because the seat was adjusted to almost the perfect place for my height/build. I went for a spin and it felt so comfortable. I was immediately impressed.

- After doing everything possible to smooth the exchange for me, he then asked me about the decathlon card and then printed it off for me. Just to remind people, I was not even offered the card on my first visit, I had to go on their website and research and apply for it. Iain actually made the effort of getting it sorted for me.

I'm not saying i'm a baby, and can't do things for myself, but this is the sort of customer service I was alluding to in my earlier posts. Iain was a really nice chap and couldn't have done more.

Thanks Iain. Hopefully this will be of some help to others in two minds about frame sizes too. I thought the 57 was fine after a couple of 4 mile rides, but the trouble revealed itself after 15+ miles.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Fantastic story concerning customer service danjanoob. :bravo:

Shame we don't see more of it nowadays.
Hope the replacement suits you and rides more comfortably than the previous 57cm model.

danjanoob

Well I always believe in credit when it's due.

The funny thing was, I was actually quite sad taking my old bike back. I'd grown quite attached to it. Bearing in mind that it was my first road bike and the first bike i'd ever done more than 5 miles at once on. I was chuffed with it when I sat down for a banana at St. Pauls. Couldn't stop looking at it. Still, i'm sure the 54 will see me through many miles.

Rodderstrotter

I greased my front wheel bearings at the weekend, as the front wheel had become noisy. The grease had turned bright red from rust, wished I'd had known to grease them when I first bought the bike! It's silent and smooth now, but I had noticed the bearings had started to pit, so I might replace them in the near future. I think the bearing size it 3/16", can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

SubSonic

I greased my front wheel bearings at the weekend, as the front wheel had become noisy. The grease had turned bright red from rust, wished I'd had known to grease them when I first bought the bike! It's silent and smooth now, but I had noticed the bearings had started to pit, so I might replace them in the near future. I think the bearing size it 3/16", can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Should be 3/16" bearings in the front and 1/4" bearings in the rear. I had replace my front cones because of overtightening at the factory but the bearings, being harder were ok.

RhythMick

Über Member
Would owners recommend a T3 as a first proper bike for a 12 year old? He's growing fast, seems keen, don't want to spend too much on something he may not take too and will grow out of soon. He's around 5'4 now.

Is the T3 suited to mixed riding on trails as well as roads?

Top Bottom