Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
My decathlon branch had no issues with me having dismantelled the hubs and re-greased the bearings. I also mentioned that I has been trying to disassemble the bike to get the BB out to clean and regrease and was asked to bring it in. I ended up with a whole load of parts replaced under warranty including a new rear hub innards & BB (which broke when they took it off). I have also replaced the stem, drops, brake pads & added cross levers - again none of that was an issue for the Warrington branch.

That's encouraging. BTW is there effectively any preventative maintenance that can be done on the existing BB?

Radchenister

Veteran

malcermie

Given all the worries people have with them, I think it's time to take a proper look into the issues ... I'm going to take mine apart over the weekend and have a look with my very experienced engineer relative (who is recently retired but has a nice workshop ;) and a career's worth of experience both professionally and on the tinkering front, concerning anything from cycles, motorbikes, classic cars, through to race cars, military vehicles and even a biplane) ... I'll see what he thinks - I may compose a letter to Decathlon on all our behalf if what we find is of any real concern.
Good idea perhaps Decathlon should send the Triban Owners Club a bucket full for us to share!:whistle:

SubSonic

Stop the bus.....IMO things are being exaggerated regarding the triban "problems". A road bike should have its wheel bearing adjustment and bottom bearing checked each month and have them overhauled/replaced on a yearly basis. These are moving parts and will wear. I'd imagine that the problems people are finding are no more common that with any other bike in the range. The difference being there's no 28 page forum running for any other bike.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Did my first 40+ mph burst today. Christ that's fast. https://www.strava.com/rides/40189470

Bet the padded shorts got some serious internal hammer!!! Hope the legs are elasticated to hold it all in! :laugh::giggle:

Typhon

Fitted my new pro lite bracciano wheelset today along with gatorskins and took it into Decathlon for it's 6 month safety check.

I weighed the old wheels with the tyres and cassette on - the rear weighs 1914g and the front 1410g - 3324g combined.

The pro-lites weighed in at 2407g with a 235g cassette, inner tubes and heavy duty tyres (gators) so 917g saved. Roughly the equivalent of 2 lbs of fat.

So if you're thinking of ugrading the wheelset, Fulcrum 5s would reduce the weight by about 650g with a tyre equivalent in weight to a gatorskins, as the pro -lights are about 250g lighter than those (1500g vs 1750g).

So that's the weight comparison, now to see how it handles. Unfortunately the forecast is rain every hour from now until 9pm on Sunday. :sad:

Top Bottom