Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all. Sorry to change the subject slightly but its still relates to the Triban 3 so not that far off.
I notice earlier in the thread about the wheels needing more grease I've looked high and low but not found my cone spanner, So just remind me what size is it as being a French bike its going to be a metric size Was it 15mm or 17mm and were the best place to get them from? Any help would most welcome regards Antnee
you need both 15mm & 17mm cone spanners.

Cheers For that SaNav I've already got a slim 15mm spanner (bought this for fixing pedals) So all I will need is the 17mm slim one as well I presume? Though I should perhaps go and look on Sheldon Browns web site for the correct tension on the cones I seem to remember it was do up tightand then back of half a turn?

Duckehhh

started getting BB grinding noises the past 2 or so days. and today was really bad when accelerating. have to ring up tomorrow in my lunch break and book in a service.

However I suspect the rear hub was giving issues aswell as I was getting a few instances where all resistance was lost and the pedals freely spun for .5 - 1 revolution. or would that be BB related aswell.

Radchenister

Veteran
Watch out for the winds on that Severn Bridge.

Not too bad, wind was a little, as you like to say ... 'inyourfacerly' ... all the way there and across to the other side but the plus was whizzing back on the way home.

FrazzledBridge_zpsd14f9cbd.jpg

Discovered that the Severn Bridge is a cycling Mecca - loads of people out cycling across it.

Widge

Baldy Go
I im going to get the sram cassette to go on my triban its lighter and has good reviews..http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pg850-8-speed-cassette/

Martin........which size large ring spec would you be after? Sram 850 does an 11-26 toothed cassette that I reckon would slot straight in.

But

If I were to plump for a larger (28t) bailout cog would I run into problems with the rear derailleur...and I am guessing I would need a (marginly) longer chain?

Anybody wise in these matters?

Best

w

martin122

Regular
Martin........which size large ring spec would you be after? Sram 850 does an 11-26 toothed cassette that I reckon would slot straight in.

But

If I were to plump for a larger (28t) bailout cog would I run into problems with the rear derailleur...and I am guessing I would need a (marginly) longer chain?

Anybody wise in these matters?

Best

w
well im thinking of going for a 12 - 26 myself as I have a 12 - 25 on there now I think

Radchenister

Veteran
Pffft - yer on a £300 starter bike :laugh: , not fettling Froome's set up for potential world domination - is this a geek contest or summat :boxing: :evil: :boxing: ?

malcermie

As a lad I put wind deflectors on my Morris mini and a tiny steering wheel not to mention a wooden gear knob....made a HUGE difference to my top speed!!!!:whistle:

Widge

Baldy Go
Pffft - yer on a £300 starter bike :laugh: , not fettling Froome's set up for potential world domination - is this a geek contest or summat :boxing: :evil: :boxing: ?

Eerm...right..........ok........

If I should just happen to want to change my wheels at some future date...(although clearly this would be a laughable thing to do to a starter bike)........then surely you would 'allow' me to change to a new cassette at the same time? saves faffing around changing them over and gives me a 'spare' (old) set with a cassette already fitted.

The sram 850 cassette is reputed to be a good budget choice for a £300 starter bike.
It comes with the option of a significantly larger low gear cog.
Far from geeky fettling, my question seems perfectly ok....the difference between 25 and 28 teeth would give me a noticeably'easier gear' with which to pant up the last few yards of Dartmoors hills so why not? Or I could just ride the nuts off the thing and wait until it or I wear out............or I could stick 'Hello Kitty' stickers all over it? Frankly.....I rather enjoy fettling stuff and getting the most out it.

I merely inquired about whether the standard rear deraiileur could take a gear this large and whether I would need a couple of extra chain links.

If you think this is geekiness then I'm sorry!

I'll try not to ask questions relating to Triban 3's in future.

Top Bottom