Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

Read these 2 entries of mine http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/post-2277631 and here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/post-2278988
We only have to take ours 15 miles each way but the mechanic has done a good job on both bikes we took in and it was all done free of charge (!) We had had no mention of the 6 month safetly check either. Has been well worth while and your bike is the same age as my OH's and even he agrees the bike feels better. Mine had quite a few new parts - just be specific about the problems. Can you pedal backwards in the cold weather (below freezing - if not tell them, I could not so the freehub needed stripping down, is the rear hub knocking - tell them if it is. has the bike got creaks when you pedal - tell them, tell them about the gear change issues etc - worked wonders for us). You may get lucky and get a good mechanic - we spent 15 mins or so talking with him, telling him what issues we had and what we had already done etc (new chain, re-greased wheel hubs, etc).

Just read those -wow they certainly replaced a lot and cleaned and lubed a lot of things! I thought they'd just give it a onceover. I'll give them a call tomorrow and try and arrange it for next week. Not sure about how it performs below sub zero though, I never go out early in the mornings or late at night so it's never out below about 2C before.

One thing has just occurred to me though. I have bought some better wheels to fit, will that affect any changes they make to the bike e.g. the gears? I don't want to end up back at square one.

Billy Adam

I'm in the club(so to speak) just picked my tribble up tonight. From the reading store mechanic there couldn't have been more helpful.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359747675.206966.jpg

Just read those -wow they certainly replaced a lot and cleaned and lubed a lot of things! I thought they'd just give it a onceover. I'll give them a call tomorrow and try and arrange it for next week. Not sure about how it performs below sub zero though, I never go out early in the mornings or late at night so it's never out below about 2C before.

One thing has just occurred to me though. I have bought some better wheels to fit, will that affect any changes they make to the bike e.g. the gears? I don't want to end up back at square one.
yep - moving the cassette over to new wheel will affect the rear derailuer. Ask the store customer service manager if it is an issue - if it was from decathlon it should not be, but to be honest for me & my bike it was not an issue - I have cross levers fitted to the bars, new stem & new drops and there were no issues there with the brakes & gears being adjusted including cable replacemetn etc.

outlash

also available in orange
Yep 6 months old in about two weeks. At the time they said it just got a year's service for free, nothing about a safety check. It's a bit of a pain for me as the nearest store is 40 miles away but I think I will contact them about it and see what they say. Although it's a hassle, if it makes my cycling better/easier it will be worth it!

I took mine to the LBS because my nearest Decathlon store is about 50 miles away, it was cheaper to take my bike to the LBS (he charged me £15 to sort the gears out) paying for petrol all the way to a store and back. If you factor in the time it takes as well, is it worth it?

I bought a new cassette to go with my new wheels, it has the same teeth (12-25) and they swapped straight over without any problems.

yep - moving the cassette over to new wheel will affect the rear derailuer

How so? If it's the same cassette and the spacings are the same, what would cause the problems with the deraileur?
Tony.

Typhon

yep - moving the cassette over to new wheel will affect the rear derailuer. Ask the store customer service manager if it is an issue - if it was from decathlon it should not be, but to be honest for me & my bike it was not an issue - I have cross levers fitted to the bars, new stem & new drops and there were no issues there with the brakes & gears being adjusted including cable replacemetn etc.

Ok, I guess it's best to fit the new wheels first then if they won't mind that there's non-standard kit on there. It's the only thing that will have been modified so it shouldn't be a problem given how much you changed on yours.

Now I just need to take some brave pills and take the cassette off the old Triban and fit it onto the new wheels. It looks very difficult for a beginner like me. I was wondering, should I just get another cassette and fit that onto the new wheels? Then I could switch them again if needs be.

Typhon

I took mine to the LBS because my nearest Decathlon store is about 50 miles away, it was cheaper to take my bike to the LBS (he charged me £15 to sort the gears out) paying for petrol all the way to a store and back. If you factor in the time it takes as well, is it worth it?

I bought a new cassette to go with my new wheels, it has the same teeth (12-25) and they swapped straight over without any problems.

How so? If it's the same cassette and the spacings are the same, what would cause the problems with the deraileur?
Tony.

Yes that's true. I could maybe combine it with a business trip to Coventry but it's just a bit awkward with having a bike in the car! It depends if it can fit into my schedule I guess. Mind you, my local LBS charges a fortune and the next nearest one is probably half an hours drive away and Coventry is about 50 mins. It's more in petrol but it's the time that's more important to me really.

Ah that answers my question about the cassette. :smile: Which one did you buy? I think I would definitely prefer to buy one rather than taking the existing one off!

Billy Adam

Ah, a rare but 'legendary red 2011/12 Triban 3' .... enjoy !!! :bravo::wahhey::bravo:
The chap said it was the only one.
I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. Sunny forecast tomorrow. Might get a good baptising. Cheshire cats got nothing on me.

Top Bottom