Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radchenister

Veteran
Yes, think you can use those shims to adjust the break lever angles; not missing much with the CD etc. forgotten where I put mine already.

dimples

Über Member
Very nice thread. I'm contemplating some mudguards as it's not fun seeing grit all over your behind once you get off your bike. I'm having to wear 2 bottom layers as a result, though the grit/water does manage to go up to my backpack.

From doing some searches it seems like SKS or crud are the best ones for the T3, but which of the two to pick?
I've neglected the bike a little so need to buy myself cleaners and lube/oil..can anyone recommend any? Would be nice if I can get them from halfords as it means I can get a 20% discount off all their stuff.

Radchenister

Veteran
Don't know about mud guards but cleaning wise, perhaps some of these (listed from what I use the most):

Staple Kit:
Car shampoo for bubbly wash offs (the sort of stuff that hangs around in sheds / garages untouched for years - that's where I found mine).
MuckOff (or similar) for stubborn grimy stuff (is harsh on some surfaces and might tarnish slightly, can be diluted).
Brushes / Cloths (perhaps a sprocket brush and other more general washing kit, I now use a soft brush acquired from that magic place under the sink and cloths from the same place, which will probably result in an ear bending soon ;) ).
Can of GT40.
Wet lube for winter (the waxy stuff might be bought later in the year).
Multi-tool and puncture kit, including levers (small and light for travel purposes).

Possible Extras:
Some polish (not essential, I just had some knocking about).
Tub of grease if you're going to get into proper DIY maintenance.
You could go for a tool kit as well but to begin with if possible best visit someone nearby first (friend / relative / neighbour / anyone with a proper tinkering set up) if you can. I have some tools (for basic work and travelling with in the car when MTBing) that I've built up over time but am lucky to have a relative with a workshop.
Track pump for getting tire pressures spot on quickly and easily is a nice touch.
+
Anything else you fancy ;) !

Video dosn't show you much mostly how to fit peddles and handlebars, don't know about shims got some small bits of plastic but don't know what they are for.
they be them shims then!
The shims - 2 additional sizes came in with the DVD (as others have said you are not missing anything on the DVD except possibly how to change gear!). The shims are for putting in the top of the STI lever so they hold the STI lever closer to the bars for those having issues reaching the levers.

IMG_5287.JPG

For those considering fitting the shim, there is a tiny 3rd shim inside which has to be removed first, so peel back the rubber hood, hold the brakes on (and make life easy by tying them on for the moment) and find the really small one...

malcermie

Thanks satNav I have now consigned them to that drawer in the kitchen full off really useful bits that will never be used.:thumbsup: BTW when does My cycle log update? I'm about twenty miles short!

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Question about inner tubes - I want to get a couple of spares for my T3. What presta valve length are normally fitted on the bike (I'm not near the bike), and also is getting 700x18-23C best? On a few websites they don't even seem to mention the tyre range the inner tube is for.

Thanks satNav I have now consigned them to that drawer in the kitchen full off really useful bits that will never be used.:thumbsup: BTW when does My cycle log update? I'm about twenty miles short!
Hi, I think the cyclelog ticker has a problem at the moment . Mine is now well over 125km out and will be much more out by the end of this week... 36 miles commuting to do tomorrow and another 15miles on thursday.... (apologies for mixing distances but I am of that generation, broght up needing both and using both, and simply switching/mixing and matching as and when needed) but if you go to the cyclelog website it is fine. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mycyclinglog-not-updating.122511/ in the thread, there is also a link to the google spreadsheet which will tell you where in the rankings you are...

puffinbilly

Veteran
Anyone able to provide some clarification - looking at buying the Triban 3 but was putting it off till late Feb or early March till I could visit one of their stores - but now hear that their changing the models spec and are running low on stock of the present specced model. The details that I have heard are that the spec is going down rather than up in quality. Is this true?

I am going to buy the 60 frame model (I'm 6ft 3) and was told that the 60 was low on stock in November.There are no Decathlon stores within a hundred and twenty miles to try it out - anyone been thro' the process of buying and couriering the Triban unseen?

Apologies for posting in this thread - since I am not a Triban owner but just a wannabe Triban owner.:blush:

mirrorman

I'm 6"3 (32inside leg)&the 60 was spot on for me ,tried 63 in store but found I was stretching forward to much

SubSonic

Thats the story regards the new T3 puffinbilly, but as yet no one really knows. So many differing versions of the tale going around.
As for sizing, to give you an idea i'm 6'1" with 33" inside leg and i find my 60cm frame ideal for me.

dimples

Über Member
Is anyone concerned much about the weight limit thats in the manual? It says the bike was designed with a maximum load weight of 100kg (including the 12kg of the bike). Not comforting when I weigh 93kg!

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i weigh 125kg and only problems i had was breaking spokes....

had rear wheel re built with better spokes and not had one break since

Radchenister

Veteran
Is anyone concerned much about the weight limit thats in the manual? It says the bike was designed with a maximum load weight of 100kg (including the 12kg of the bike). Not comforting when I weigh 93kg!

Losing weight fast here but was well over that weight to begin with - just don't go doing Evil Knievel jumps on it and it'll be fine.

I run the rear at 100 - 105 psi, front at 95 - 100 psi - avoid smashing bumps and pot holes, if you are heading for some rough stuff then stand on the pedals and let your arms and legs work as suspension.

Top Bottom