Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Duckehhh

I've got cruds. fit well on both front and back. but I occasionally catch the front with my foot when stopped. so have to readjust it as it starts to rub.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Has anyone put/or going to put mudguards on their Triban? If so what do you reckon would fit/be good?
I have SKS Chromoplastics on mine. Very tricky to fit with lots of adjusting required. Had to shorten the guard stays in order to get them to fit but once this was done the guards fitted very neatly.
Close fitting, smart and do the job superbly.

Only trouble I can see with them would be the speed of removal and refitting as and when required.

Has anyone put/or going to put mudguards on their Triban? If so what do you reckon would fit/be good?
I have managed to get SKS chromoplastics on but it is a bit of a hack with 25mm tyres. If I was still on the 23mm tyres it probably would have been easier, but for me there was not enough clearance getting them between the brakes & tyres. Still looking at a better way of anchoring them on properly - may try doing what I am meant to do with them via the brake bolt bracket "thing" which might make them more stable rather than how they are currently attached (which involved the pannier rack!).

I understand the sks raceblades are easier to attach.

danjanoob

Here you go:

1-1_zps966b2396.jpg

2-1_zpsf8ac0c31.jpg

3-1_zpsbb935dba.jpg

Brilliant. That is extremely helpful. Thanks to you and Brian for the great pics. The chain seems to be the correct length, however, I noticed that the front deraiuler needed to be adjusted outwards when the chain was on the largest front and smallest rear, as the chain was slightly tapping at the front. Think I have got it sorted now after some trial and error, and will be going for a little ride soon to check.

As for the comments about my skills as a vehicle techy; Just because i'm good with cars, doesn't mean I am automatically aware of all systems on all things mechanical. A road bike that I have just layed out money on is not something to just go spannering on. I like to understand how things work. People who go at things not knowing how they work are pretty poor technicians. That's how you break things. A good technician will learn about something inside out, before they start working on it. And again, I had never been educated on the gear mechanicals on my bike, so I would have liked the assistant to do so.

Radchenister

Veteran
Brilliant. That is extremely helpful. Thanks to you and Brian for the great pics. The chain seems to be the correct length, however, I noticed that the front deraiuler needed to be adjusted outwards when the chain was on the largest front and smallest rear, as the chain was slightly tapping at the front. Think I have got it sorted now after some trial and error, and will be going for a little ride soon to check.

As for the comments about my skills as a vehicle techy; Just because I'm good with cars, doesn't mean I am automatically aware of all systems on all things mechanical. A road bike that I have just layed out money on is not something to just go spannering on. I like to understand how things work. People who go at things not knowing how they work are pretty poor technicians. That's how you break things. A good technician will learn about something inside out, before they start working on it. And again, I had never been educated on the gear mechanicals on my bike, so I would have liked the assistant to do so.

I've found that my gears are taking some time to settle and they also appear to go through phases (temperature?, cable stretch?) ... sometimes it's my fault for having the chain on the big front and too small rear (+ vice versa) and sometimes it's just the position of the mech', which needs a tweak with the left hand (some bikes have a half position - I've not yet concluded if that's the case here) - what I'm saying though, is on occasions there is likely to be some rattling of the front mech' in a variety of gear combos and I've always had this on MTBs and not really worried too much.

Think I need to think about this more on the occasions it happens now though and am still getting used to exactly how the bike works on rides. Even though I've been MTBing for years, I've obviously been abusing the gears - IMO, generally the riding style was more aggressive and terrain focussed, so you just bashed on with a MTB and got the job done; I've only had circa 8 no. 10 - 15 mile rides so far on the T3 and am still getting to grips with the more refined efficiencies of road riding. Give me a sunny day and I'll be whizzing up and down the road outside spending some time focussing on the precise set up, for the mo' I will just continue to manage my gear changes carefully.

Hope this link helps (not just for over 40's):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7LuLbmkrEY

Triban

i hope no one minds this post!

i did use to own a triban 3 (which was amazing), but i had the opportunity to return it and upgrade to the triban 5 which i just love.

i'm making a blog about it, if anyone has time please take a look! thanks.

http://www.triban5.theresnonamesleft.com

malcermie

First ride since the snow and only second ride on T3 about twenty miles ten of which was into the teeth of a strong head wind. Only problem I had was cassette kept hoping from one gear to another under load need to investigate cause.

My OH is on the orginal brake blocks and likes them - but I have to remember not to stop suddenly without warning him because they are nowhere near as good as my brake blocks which I very quickly swapped out to Shimano Swisstop Flash Pro Greens which I find stop really well and are showing very little wear after 2,000-2,500km of use in all weathers. (the warning him comes from him running into the back of me when he can't stop as quickly as me). they are not cheap at £25 for pads only (which is all you need) but they do last and last and last IME

I have similar ones on my tourer (in blue for css rims) which I have got 10,000km out for the first set and should not have to replace the 2nd set for a very long time and that was a full laden tourer in mountainous countries.

Radchenister

Veteran
Little change of subject:

Seat Post Maintenance
Been waxing, lubing and tweaking tonight (no smart comments please :girl: ); if you aren't using mudguards then watch the amount of grit that sneaks in through the slot on the seat tube (just under the seat post clamp). I have been wondering about my seat height again (more on this later) so took the opportunity to take out the seat and post and clean it up ready for a refit; not nice, could feel the grit on exit, there was fine brown sediment left in the tube and around the clamp. All cleaned out and greased up now to stop further gunk getting in ... an easy bit of fettling that's best done sooner rather than later.

Seat Height
I've not been feeling like I can put down as much power on the Triban when compaired to my mountain bike, so I did some measuring - concluded my seat was still set too low despite moving it up a bit recently; I used the Greg LeMond method to reset it (works for some people and not others apparently ... I've not got long femur bones so OK for me) ... only tested it in the house but it feels a lot better, it was set about 1cm too low - I really have to stretch to reach the floor now if sat on the saddle and am surprised how high the seat is when set up this way but will give it a go next outing.

G3CWI

Veteran
Hi there. Got my T3 a couple of weeks ago. Love it! Mine came with nothing. I am told that there should have been some shims for adjusting the brake levers and also a video(?). What else am I missing? No mention of a free service or safety check either. Should I have one of both included? Cheers Richard

malcermie

Hi there. Got my T3 a couple of weeks ago. Love it! Mine came with nothing. I am told that there should have been some shims for adjusting the brake levers and also a video(?). What else am I missing? No mention of a free service or safety check either. Should I have one of both included? Cheers Richard
Video dosn't show you much mostly how to fit peddles and handlebars, don't know about shims got some small bits of plastic but don't know what they are for.

Top Bottom