Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radchenister

Veteran
Still is here as well - but bits to do and if I go out on the road bike how is my OH going to keep up with me on his MTB? It would just not be fair on him :biggrin:

I think we'll let you have a pass as your mileage is pretty impressive anyway :biggrin: !

D

Deleted member 20519

I've been thinking quite seriously about upgrading the wheels lately and I've been doing a bit of looking into it. I've also looked at the wheels that come with more established expensive carbon bikes and been quite surprised at the relative lack of quality in some of them. For example I've seen a couple of Bianchis in the £15000-2000 price range that come with Fulcrum 7s, which cost only £150 and are wheels I was looking at for my Triban! With those wheels the Triban would only be about 1kg heavier than those Bianchi's, ok they had a Shimano 105 groupset but I can't help but feel you'd have 95% of the bike for 20% of the price.

I thought I'd share my research on here to see what people think of the wheels and to help out anyone who's also thinking of upgrading. The Fulcrums seem to be the benchmark in the price range I was looking at (£150-£300)

Fulcrum 7s 1849g and £150 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=88631

Fulcrum 5s - 1760g and £200 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=88634

Fulcrum Racing Quattro (aero wheels) 1710g and £270 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=88635

I also found these alternatives though:

Shimano Ultegra 6700 1652g and £260 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76736

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels 1550g and £155 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72611

And finally, these wheels are 1735g but come with tyres that take them to 2425g. Continental gatorskins (the tyres I was thinking of buying) only weigh 440g for a pair so these seem quite heavy. They cost £46 for a pair though which makes these wheels & tyres at £175 a real bargain: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...-aksium-s-wts-wheels-pair-2013-inc-tyres.html

I haven't shopped around for the best price on each one so you may be able to find them a bit cheaper elsewhere. Not knowing anything about wheels all I can really go on is reviews, price and weight so if anyone can shed some light on these I'd appreciate it. :smile: I'm probably leaning towards the Fulcrum 5s at the moment.

Those Ksyrium Elites for £155 is actually just for the front wheel I think.

malcermie

Trying to register on the Triban3 owner club how do I get the adverts off the registration page! They are covering the information input boxes:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Trying to register on the Triban3 owner club how do I get the adverts off the registration page! They are covering the information input boxes:rolleyes:
Oooh 'eck!
Have you tried scrolling down Brian. Never known it happen before mate, new one. I'll get onto the main server people and find out.

Has anyone else had this problem whilst registering?

malcermie

Thanks so much first class!!!

star84

Regular
Yes you're right, he was in the cycling section, but it's easy to lose motivation working in retail. I'll send an easy email to them and hopefully things will improve. I may take it back to the store, or may just take out a link or two myself. It's a lot of effort driving 15 miles to lakeside with the bike hanging out of the roof! How difficult can it be to remove a couple? Am i right in thinking that the long chain would also be the reason it jumped out of gear a couple of times?

did u take the name of the person that served u?its gud to alway do that jus incase.. in my own case it was the opposite,next time when u or anyone planin to go to decathlon lake side and u need help with what to buy as in what u need and not what you want, to save yourself all the stress time and money jus ask for Alan at the bike department as they have 2 alan there but one is at a defferent department...alan seems to be the manager at the bike department and trust me he is really helpful,he is a cyclist as well and trust me when i say he is helpful he really his..he is passionate abt cycling when i went there to get my bike he first looked at me and asked couple of questions like what do i need a bike for and kind of tell me th defference between the t5 and t3 and said what i need is the t3 and also sized me and showed me how to use the gears and then let me ride arrond the store for a
while..after that i told him i need some accessaries and he advice hat. should go for the ones i need first and others can wait and he walk me round and picked few bits nd bob for me when i picked the expensive ones he said no unless if i have too much miney to spend that i dnt need those and said we should jus focus on the most important thing and go for the best wihin my budget,my budget was 120 on acessaries and trust me i am more than happi wih the things he picked for me at the end he tld me about the card and said if i havent signed up for one i should do that straight away so that i can get some voucher..i remember i wanted to get a computer then and he said its not important now and i can wait for my voucher to come and then add some money to it for the cmputer,he even helped me carry my thngs to the till and stood outside the store and watch me ride my bike as he knew i havent riden a bike for yrs...so my advice for those who are new and want some help at the lakeside store,when u get there go straight to the bike department and ask for Alan he is he man trust me.

star84

Regular
Sorry but i completely disagree. I was in retail myself for five years until very recently. Whether it's 9am or 9pm your job is to help people. That is why you're employed. It's especially important in a shop like Decathlon, which caters to a huge range of people and a huge range of activities. How long would it have taken him to talk me through the important bits? Not long. I can't believe he had anything better to do, as he simply went back to the bike area and carried on chatting to his mate.

Yes, it was the cheapest road bike they do, but one man's change is another's fortune. £300 is a lot to me for a sport i'm not yet involved in. A little bit of enthusiasm and information wouldn't go amiss.

totally agree with you one this one..300 or 150 bike is still money and hard to get beside the sales guy is being paid to help customers and make them happi also weather it is a 500 or 4k bike the money is going to decahlons account and not his so he should be the one to put himself in your shoe and not the other way round cos he would not like it eiher if he is being treated like that in any shop where he is going to spend his hard earn cash no one will.

Widge

Baldy Go
I can vouch for adblock if your web browsing is inundated with ads that get in the way.

As far as buying a T3 online (or even in store on a Friday afternoon) I try to go into this with my eyes open and the smell of coffee in the air.

I would imagine that even Decathlon are pretty much pile-em-high...sell-em-cheap type retailers and better than some.
I for one don't actually EXPECT the same level of customer involvement as I get (and yes-I still value them because of what THEY do that the big online stores can't) from my local shop.

Pay yer money-take your choice.?

I kind of knew I would be on my own when I clicked the buy now button. If I wanted it any other way I would have not entertained the prospect of buying sight unseen from the webz. Decathlon have a guarantee on their product that covers major frame failure etc. They also offer servicing to buyers who have a store within distance and are generally quick to respond to email questions (IME). I would not chew them out if my rear derailleur goes out of whack!!..or my tyres puncture...or my brake blocks turn out to be crappy.

Eventually......things probably are going to change in retail, for better or worse...........the High Street shop scenario has actually only been with us for less than a century or so. Until then.........we need to keep a grip on how these things are working? If I had a Decathlon store in my neighborhood I would probably be in there all the time!! ^_^

Top Bottom