Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if this 40 year old woman can manage it.... yes, now the BB is giving me issues.... :sad:
Keep us informed about the BB.

Edit;

Please!

I just pulled the entire thing (axle) through, cleaned up and then very carefully added the bearings back in holding them in place with some grease before feeding the (whatever that part is called - bad day with my dyslexia sorry) back in carefully. i found that there was then enough movement in the bit above to feed the bearings in, 1 at a time and get them all in and greased without issue.... greasey hands time though...

thanks satnav :o)

malcermie

mal how did u get grease into the cone on the rear drive side ?
As Sat nav says you just pull the entire spindle out the balls will stay in place due to the grease holding them in. Now I don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but having spent over fifty years as an engineer I have learnt to follow this procedure when stripping a mechanical device for the first time. Remove each piece one at at time in a logical order and lay them in a straight line in order and noting the orientation as well as the order, i.e. on the first 17mm nut you remove from the hub it has grooves cut into one side that are designed to face the inside of the forks so lay it the correct way round. In the old days I made drawings of the disassembly process now I photograph each stage on my phone you will find this an essential reference aid during reassembly. Sorry to rabbit on but hope this is of some help.

Re. Triban 3 grease - if not adequate grease in wheels, what about everywhere else e.g. BB, headset etc...?
working on it and currently given I can't unscrew anything, it all appears to be seized - my suspicion is that the BB definitely needs it and probably the headset as well going by some of the creaks I am getting from the bike - sounds awful at the moment. My pedals failed at 200 miles anyhow so replaced those - bearing issue... probably lack of grease issue... seat post did not have much if any grease on it either... and possibly the freehub as well, but I didn't even bother trying to remove that yesterday and know mine has issues with water - can't pedal backwards in freezing weather conditions....

im not the most mechanically minded so.....

what sort of grease do i use?

I use bikeline white grease (which I already had for my Rohloff hubs and was purchased whilst I was overseas - don't know if it is available in the UK) - just go for anything white/lithium based aimed at bikes and you should be fine. You want something that does not absord water over time (vaseline absorbs water so not a good move). you will need quite a bit of it if my experience is anything to go by - though i was doing 2 bikes, so save money in the long run and buy a bigger container not one of those 25ml squeezey pot thingies.

star84

Regular
do anyone know what the first service for t3 at decathlon covers..do they look at the bearing or somethng jus wndering and also when or how will i knw when bike is ride for service btw how often should i clean/grease the chain...

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
do anyone know what the first service for t3 at decathlon covers..do they look at the bearing or somethng jus wndering and also when or how will i knw when bike is ride for service btw how often should i clean/grease the chain...
its just a basic check of gears and brakes usually....
as silly as it sounds i clean mine when it looks like it needs it, after every ride i check her over and see what she needs.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
working on it and currently given I can't unscrew anything, it all appears to be seized - my suspicion is that the BB definitely needs it and probably the headset as well going by some of the creaks I am getting from the bike - sounds awful at the moment. My pedals failed at 200 miles anyhow so replaced those - bearing issue... probably lack of grease issue... seat post did not have much if any grease on it either... and possibly the freehub as well, but I didn't even bother trying to remove that yesterday and know mine has issues with water - can't pedal backwards in freezing weather conditions....

Thanks. I'm getting the wobbles on a purchase at the w/e, mainly because I'm not sure I want to take the whole bike apart before I use it properly. My guess is that the first few soakings may start off corrosion with next to no grease in the moving parts. I guess I could check about the crank removal tool when at Decathlon - not actually removed a BB etc before, believe it or not.

Tribanite

is there anyway of knowing which bikes (serial number) are affected with dry hubs. My bike is a month old, and appears to be ok so far :fingerscrossed

Top Bottom