Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey fellow Tribbles.........

What a great thread!

I'm reading all with interest.........and yup........lack of grease in bearings on a new bike is not a 'fault' of the Triban exclusively IME. All (most) bikes have more or less grease in their bearings from new. It is the sort of thing that could/should be picked up when a new bike has its first ( usually) 'free'- shop service.

No help for those of us who bought their T3's through the post though.

I love mine..........but hub servicing is new to me and as for BB's and Headsets..................well - let's just say I won't look for problems in too much of a hurry. Everything is fixable in the end, and if I have to book it in to my LBS then so be it.

I am pretty much ok with allen key type things and view the prospect of maybe having to learn to service the more 'special tool' type parts as part of a learning curve which I may or may not undertake.

Basically...in the end it's just grown-up Meccano (I Hope!)

Any-hoo............It's just terrific that this; the year British Cycling really gripped our collective consciousness, Decathlon (bless their cotton-socks) have a stonkingly good bike, for minimal wonga, that they can sell to all us n00b desperados. Speaking for myself there!

I'm off to check out the official Triban 3 owners Club site now!!

Best to all

w

see u over there ! :bicycle:

OK - update on my T3. still can not get the (8mm) allen nut off over the crank arm to get cranks off with crank removal tool, so after my OH failed as well despite having borrowed better quality toold from my step-father this morning, I decided "sod that" and rang Decathlon before we did any 'damage' to talk about warranty...

I got through to the (customer service) manager... how is anyones guess, but I explained that I had a bad noise from the BB and wanted to regrease it, but could not move nut over the crank arm. I was asked if the bike had had its 6 month safety check (which I had not been told about at the time of purchase). it was explained to me that this could be a problem if it was a case of needing a warranty repair. I carefully pointed out that that bike was only 5 months old and asked if I could bring it in for said safety check and a chat with mechanic. Answer yes - can you bring it in now, given they are not very busy in the bikes area. Certainly.

Anyhow - my bike is now at Decathlon. Hopefully I will get it back tomorrow, I was hoping for today, but it was not going to happen. From the mechanics expression, the lack fo grease was very definitley of no surprise to him, nor was the fact I could not get parts loose... When I left my freehub was exposed and had been cleaned, the rear hub (which still had a minor knock) was being worked on (all my lovely grease gone and new being put in)... the front & rear derailuer were off, there was not a single cable left on the bike - the mechanic had clearly taken 1 look at them and was replacing them (fingers crossed because they had broken and frayed badly and I was going to have to replace them soon).

Tomorrow we take in my OH's Triban 3 to drop off for same 'safety check' and hopefully collect mine if there have not been any issues discovered.... will update you all, but one thing that has come out of this is, if you bought the bike from a store, do make sure you get your 6 month safety check done. It could prevent warrany issues if you need to claim later on. It was also explained that the 6 months a little lenient so if you are around 6-7 months now and you want that warranty, get them to do the 30 min safety check. I will update up on the outcome of my bike tomorrow should you be interested (or not!)

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
OK - update on my T3. still can not get the (8mm) allen nut off over the crank arm to get cranks off with crank removal tool,

Decathlon are obviously using Gorillas to assemble bikes instead of the usual monkeys :training:

outlash

also available in orange
Fingers crossed SatNav, my thinking is the QA at the place of manufacture could be a bit patchy for the T3. Unfortunately it tends to be first corner that gets cut on stuff at the budget end of the spectrum.

Tony.

Duckehhh

do you need to book the service in over the phone. or just turn up and leave the bike?
they did mention it to me when i got the bike. and there was also posters up and around the bikes showing it.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
So glad I started this thread. It's turning into a wealth of knowledge which everyone seems happy to share! Nice to see some good spirit going on.
As a couple of posters have already stated. The T3 OC is worth browsing too. (see my sig for link!) It's growing steadily. Would be great to see knowledge shared on that forum too.
Feeling pleased to have started a good thread on here as well as providing something a bit more exclusive to T3 owners on the dedicated forum.

Everyone is welcome by the way!

Re the post above. I'd be tempted to contact Decathlon to enquire about the free check/service. Having not had mine yet I'm unsure of the procedure. Always best to phone first.

Might be of interest to those talking of lack of grease.

I went to Lakeside store yesterday to look at a Triban 3. Couldn't fit one in the car so intending to order online when stock comes back.

However, the extremely helpful sales person told me that the store stock was now UK made due to some problems that Decathlon UK had had with stock. All stores should now have improved UK made stock and the reason they are out of stock online is that stores were prioritised.

Apparently you can differentiate between new and old stock by the decals but I didn't understand what he was saying.

danjanoob

Im actually a bit miffed with Decathlon. I'm loving the bike (had my first ride on it tonight, 3 miles in the rain), but the guy who served me was a lazy sod (at lakeside store). Didn't tell me how to change gears, how to use the brakes efficiently, or anything really, despite me making it very clear I had not ridden a bike for a good few years and never on the road. He certainly didn't mention this safety check. Probably because it was half an hour until knocking off time. He didn't even try and help me with equipment etc, despite me hanging around in the bike section for an extra half an hour desperately trying to pick out bits.

I'm a bit annoyed about it to be honest, now that i'm thinking about it. Is it hard to get some decent customer service when spending a good chunk of money? I might ring up and complain but i don't even know his name.

Ugh.

Oh and i've been doing some reading after thinking there was a lot of chain noise, and the chain is too long :sad: how hard is it to get something simple like that right? Makes me think, if they mess that up, what else has been fudged?

Radchenister

Veteran
It's usually down to individuals, Decathlon are a general purpose store after all, with a cycling section within, so it's foreseeable that not all staff will be into cycling; a polite e-mail to them pointing out your disappointment is probably in order ... that way the managers can have a generic chat with all those on the shop floor / workshop and improve things. If the chain is wrong then it should be addressed and go back to them - I do wonder how they managed that?

Top Bottom