Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Hope you don't mind a non Triban owner chipping in here, but IME most bikes are assembled with nowhere near enough grease - it's not an issue that's exclusive to Tribans.

As a matter of course I do the following with any new bike:
  • Remove and grease seat-post.
  • Remove cranks and BB. Reinstall BB using copper grease.
  • Grease hubs and adjust tension (assuming cup and cone bearings).
  • Remove tyres and tubes, shake some talc in the tyres and replace.
  • Remove stem, drop forks, grease headset bearings. Reassemble and adjust headset.
  • Check all fastenings for tightness. Apply thin smear of copper grease to threads (note - some people advise against this, your call ultimately).
None of the above should be necessary and sometimes it isn't, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to check.

To put it into perspective, once you know what you're doing and have the tools, it takes about an hour to go through the above. It'll take longer if you've not done it before, but the skills learned will be valuable (especially when you have your first p******e miles from home!)

I'm not intimately familiar with the Triban, but I think the only tools you'll need to do the above will be:
  • Allen keys
  • BB / crank removal tool
  • Cone spanners
  • Open ended spanner (for the locknut on the hubs - probably 17mm)
  • Tyre lever /pump
  • Rubber mallet! (May be required to loosen the stem and knock the fork down). Other methods are available^_^
  • Chainwhip and cassette removal tool (but you may get away without these if you do what @malcermie suggests in post 262)

malcermie

Thanks all this is proving to be a really useful thread:thumbsup:

Thanks all this is proving to be a really useful thread:thumbsup:
Agreed.

Been reading through the forum and watching a few vids on YouTube and I'm thinking I might pick up tools when I get paid on Tuesday and I have a go at the wheel hubs. The videos make it look easy enough. But I might practice on my old bike before i take apart the Triban's wheels.

Finally got out on the Triban today, did a 9 mile loop round the villages near me, had great fun, its much nicer to ride than my old carrera subway. :biggrin:

malcermie

Agreed.

Been reading through the forum and watching a few vids on YouTube and I'm thinking I might pick up tools when I get paid on Tuesday and I have a go at the wheel hubs. The videos make it look easy enough. But I might practice on my old bike before i take apart the Triban's wheels.

Finally got out on the Triban today, did a 9 mile loop round the villages near me, had great fun, its much nicer to ride than my old carrera subway. :biggrin:
You will have no problems just take it slow and easy:thumbsup:

Widge

Baldy Go
Hey fellow Tribbles.........

What a great thread!

I'm reading all with interest.........and yup........lack of grease in bearings on a new bike is not a 'fault' of the Triban exclusively IME. All (most) bikes have more or less grease in their bearings from new. It is the sort of thing that could/should be picked up when a new bike has its first ( usually) 'free'- shop service.

No help for those of us who bought their T3's through the post though.

I love mine..........but hub servicing is new to me and as for BB's and Headsets..................well - let's just say I won't look for problems in too much of a hurry. Everything is fixable in the end, and if I have to book it in to my LBS then so be it.

I am pretty much ok with allen key type things and view the prospect of maybe having to learn to service the more 'special tool' type parts as part of a learning curve which I may or may not undertake.

Basically...in the end it's just grown-up Meccano (I Hope!)

Any-hoo............It's just terrific that this; the year British Cycling really gripped our collective consciousness, Decathlon (bless their cotton-socks) have a stonkingly good bike, for minimal wonga, that they can sell to all us n00b desperados. Speaking for myself there!

I'm off to check out the official Triban 3 owners Club site now!!

Best to all

w

Top Bottom