Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got my bike today!

I took it out of the box, quickly straighten the wheel and sat on it and I was like "omg. it's way too big!"
saddle height is ok, i can easily reach the handlebar and my arms are slightly bent but I feel a little uncomfortable -This is my first road bike, I've never ridden on it before, only mtb.

the saddle is at the same height as the handlebar is it ok? shouldn't be a few inches higher than handlebar?

The saddle height is determind by the length of your legs... nothing else.

link to various methods to determine saddle height
I have found that the heel method is OK for me with a little fine tuning afterwards.

Also you will feel odd at first with it being your first road bike. It takes a while to get used to it, so don't worry. Get the bike roughly right for yourself, take a multitool and go out for a ride and don't be afraid to stop and adjust saddle height, saddle forward/backward, saddle tilt etc as needed. It will take time to get both the bike set up for you and your body to adjust to the changes.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Indexing gears is really easy, you just need to turn the barrel adjuster towards the wheel if the gears are slow going up and away if slow going down (i think, if not it's the other way). Just put the bike in a workstand, or get someone to hold the back wheel off the ground, and turn the pedals and change gear while turning the barrel adjuster. You'll probably find it will need less than half a turn one way or another.

Thanks for your reply. I need to check out some you tube videos, I don't even know which are the barrel adjusters. I've learnt so much already tinkering with my Triban 5.

152l2

Hi all,
I am a bit of a newbie returning to road bikes after many years away (and the last 6 months on a hybrid). I am now looking for a (new or SH) road bike in the £350 region. The more i read, the more i think i will get a Triban3. I know you guys are going to be a bit biased but are they really that good? Or am i going to be looking for another bike in a year. i am currently trying to do about 50 miles a week and hope to ramp that up as i get fitter. Any help / advice / ideas appreciated.

Hi, I will be joining the Triban 3 club on approx 5th Oct 2013 as they are currently out of stock in my size with Decathlon and I've just received an email from them today saying they are expecting a delivery on 3rd Oct. I need a 63cm frame as I am 6ft 5 and 18 stone. I am actually only getting a Triban following a post I put on here asking for advice for a road bike around £300 and Triban seemed a very poular suggestion. I am pretty new to cycling so any advice would be very welcome re. any changes I should make to the bike , if any, since I am a beginner. I am making notes/reminders on my phone as I read through the posts re. possible changes/suggestions. So far I've got *Grease up bearings and *Bearings maybe set too tight. Will I need to take it to my local repair shop to get it set up or can I do it myself ?? I was also advised, due to my size I need a bike with a cassette hub NOT a threaded freewheel for back axel strength - can anyone confirm this has a cassette? I'm sure it will at the price. Also red or white ??

I've had mine for about 6 months, but only done around 500km on it so far as it's just a part of my overall exercise plans. I'm 6'3" and I was 18 stone when I got it. I went for the 63cm, and personally still feel it's a little 'small' at times. I'm not sure about these compact frames. Last time I had a road bike I was a teenage and it was a Raleigh Ace in a 25" frame!i just wonder if the shorter wheel base results in a slightly harsher ride. I do love my red 3 though and all I've changed is the brake blocks.. originals were beyond soft and get the hubs greased. Otherwise standard and very pleased with it. No idea about the hub comment, sorry.

miguel

Regular
My Triban 3:
image.php?id=114521&s=800&uid=43895.jpg

Miguel

staff1975

Having real issues being able to buy a Triban 3 in a 63cm frame. I prefered a red one but they have apparently been discontinued. The white one is out of stock at the warehouse. My nearest store with one in stock is Stockport which is 160 mile from me. I emailed Decathlon who 1st replied saying they would be in stock on 3rd Oct and they would email me when they arrived. I didn't get an email so I emailed them again a few days ago and they said they are now due on 17th Oct. I rang Stockport to ask if I could buy one over the phone and they could send it to me. I did say I would pay for the P&P. They said they couldn't. I would have to pay online on the reserve at store link and send my own courier to collect it. To be honest I'm starting to get a bit pee'd off with Decathlon now. Although after all the comments I've read on here and the reviews on the Decathlon web site, I really want one as it seems the best bike by far my £300 budget.
Anyone know the total weight and dimensions of a boxed Triban 3 so I can get a courier quote?? I know the bike itself is 11.5kg. And anyone suggest a cheap courier??

miguel

Regular
Thanks Kies :-)

oiljam

Active...ish Member
I'll be doing a 50 mile sportive in extreme weather on my Triban tmrw. Heavy rain and gusty wind forecast. Smart!
It's the Spadger's Ride near Garforth, Leeds. I'm sure there'll be plenty of places left if anyone fancies braving the elements

andyoxon

Legendary Member
My Triban3 these days. Currently testing a Brooks saddle. The Ortlieb saddle bag (attached with toeclips) is good, wanted something a little bigger - good idea to put stuff in bags though for ease of packing (I find). Light is a XM-L T6 1800lm I picked up off ebay for about £15 (looks very similar to Kies').

60 cm frame. (I'm 6'2", 75kg)

9879159456_1cd4eef553_b.jpg
P1190893
by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kies

I had to go check in the shed my T3 was still there!!!!

How are you finding the front crudracer? I took mine off

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I had to go check in the shed my T3 was still there!!!!

How are you finding the front crudracer? I took mine off

:smile: CrudRRacers are fine, but I took the nose section off the front mudguard pretty early on, as I couldn't seem to stop it rubbing - and decided it didn't serve any purpose anyway.

I might try my light under the bars too. I see you have the battery at the rear. I put mine on the head tube under the top tube, with the cable coiled around. After I heard that some have found that the velcro stitching can come adrift and lead to battery falling off - for a long ride I tend to cable tie it on as added security.

Last edited:

Dave535

I'm just about to buy my friends Triban 3 red from him it's in top condition as he's only done about 600 miles on it in total.
Now I've read reviews on it and it looks well spec'd and he's let me take it out for a spin but is it as good as the reviews say. Also what mudguards would be the best buy for it?

Top Bottom