Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can buy a new chainset/cranks from decathlon for less than that - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triple-8s-170mm-bottom-bracket-id_2569409.html .

Very easy to replace (you will need a "Crank Puller" tool)
thank you... already have a crank puller, and have frequently had the bike in bits... sounds like I may be cycling to Decathlon tomorrow. time to ring the warrington branch to check they have stock first.... much better solution (and will leave me a few spares for my OH's bike!)

Edwards80

Über Member
thank you... already have a crank puller, and have frequently had the bike in bits... sounds like I may be cycling to Decathlon tomorrow. time to ring the warrington branch to check they have stock first.... much better solution (and will leave me a few spares for my OH's bike!)

They have 4 in stock according to the website :biggrin:

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi SatNav........
Yup - Decathlon seem to have the identical 'Prowheel' chainset in their inventory at a reasonable cost.
I (personally) wouldn't overthink the crank length. My 54" Triban came with 170mm cranks......my MTB has 172.5 cranks and my old Mercian Tourer had 175mm cranks.
I'd be lying if I told you the difference had ever worried me!...........HOWEVER..............your mileage may vary? I'm sure that a lot of experienced types CAN tell the difference-and I know YOU are experienced (!)........so pay no attention to me!^_^

Hi SatNav........
Yup - Decathlon seem to have the identical 'Prowheel' chainset in their inventory at a reasonable cost.
I (personally) wouldn't overthink the crank length. My 54" Triban came with 170mm cranks......my MTB has 172.5 cranks and my old Mercian Tourer had 175mm cranks.
I'd be lying if I told you the difference had ever worried me!...........HOWEVER..............your mileage may vary? I'm sure that a lot of experienced types CAN tell the difference-and I know YOU are experienced (!)........so pay no attention to me!^_^
both my tourers and my mountain bike are 175mm cranks. I have ordered the 170mm and will see what happens. they are not difficult to swap over if needed. its just a leg length thing to bike height/size ratio thing more than anything else, and also controls your cadence... It is easier to spin with a shorter crank length, but with my current set up I am averaging a cadence of around 85-95rpm as it is...

hi Sat nav replaced mine a couple of weeks ago with a Shimano Ultega 39 tooth chainwheel from Chainreaction though It wasn't cheap I have to say here is the link that I have just found http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-fc6603-triple-chainring/rp-prod18487?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Shimano - Chainrings|cn:Chain Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:58275UK_Shimano Ultegra FC6603 Triple Chainring&gclid=CIaFrZeb-rgCFeGWtAodhzIACw

though by this time I suspect you have already ordered it?

Yep - decided it would be criminal not to upgrade to the shimano 2300 crankset at £45 (reduced from £75) instead of a new decathlon crankset at £35 after talking it over with my OH last night. that will leave 2 spare chainrings for my his T3 - at his current mileage the existing stuff should last another (cough) years. :whistle: The shimano one is a slightly different tooth combination at 52/42/30 rather than 50/39/30 which might just suit me a touch better. you never know, I might actually manage to put some muscle on for once! :laugh:

Hi Sat Nav
So I expect your awaiting it now and will be fitting it this weekend let us know how you get on with the fitting , am just wondering if you will probably have to reposition the front deraileuer as the 52T chainwheel will be a little bigger in size I presume the crank is the square taper type? As I was looking at the shimano Claris chainset (this is the new chain set that Shimano say is their new entry level chainset replacing the 2300) and see that its has a different style crank on the BB
Regards Antnee

Hi @antnee probably replacing it on monday if all goes to plan (after various chores that have to be done in the morning), if I get home at a sensible time this weekend. Curenlty away in the New forest. It is a square taper type BB and no issues in reposition the front derailuer - had to do that when I first got the bike because it was rubbing against the 50T ring as it was! won't take much move it up the stay a touch.

D

Deleted member 20519

dhd.evans

Veteran
Bought me a Triban 3a at the weekend to replace my dying hybrid.

I've only managed to get out for a few miles since purchase due to family stuff, but will start my commute on Thursday with it. Looking forward to it!

For information, I read that the 54 frame would fit someone of my height (5 foot 9.5in, 31" inside leg). This is absolute fallacy. I attempted to ride the 54 Triban 3 (Red model) and found it most uncomfortable. The 57, on the other hand, fits like a glove. Hence I am now the proud owner of a 3A rather than the 3.

Just a word of warning for anyone ordering online without trying the frame size!

bigup

bought a T3 Red 2 weeks ago for a commuting/winter bike - was an earlier purchase due to them going out of stock

been out on it for last 2 days to work and very impressed, seat is nice and comfortable, the gears are a bit noisy and gear change on their own sometimes but for £300 im not complaining

fitted sks longs too and ready for the winter weather.

its quite a smooth ride, very quiet whilst coasting, takes bumps well

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I've just ordered myself some of those new Claris 2400 shifters, I got sick of the thumb button!

edb1Jiv.jpg
Who from?

I'm waiting on wiggle to come back on a price match, Parkers are £80.

Let me know how they run. I have had them in the basket since they came out but I'm saving for a canyon frame and promised I'd stop spending £150 every month on bits!

Edwards80

Über Member
been out on it for last 2 days to work and very impressed, seat is nice and comfortable, the gears are a bit noisy and gear change on their own sometimes but for £300 im not complaining

I'd nip back into the shop and ask them to index the gears for you if you don't want to try it yourself. Mine was put together pretty well by the Stockport shop. Assuming they still do the free "6 week service" thing too.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Re the Claris Levers your buying. I'm sure I saw them at £95 .00 from High on bikes as I emailed them to see if they had the triple shift in stock As they seemed to be advertizing the double (compact) the did reply to assure me that they would sell a triple shift lever set at the same price though this was a few days ago now I also saw some on ebay 2nd hand Shimano flightdeck 8 speed shifters which I foolishly though I'd win easliy with my bid of £47.50 and was surprized to see they went for £70.00!
But let us know how you get on with fitting and using the ones you get Jazloc
Regards Antnee

Top Bottom