Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedball

I know Decathlon do a free 6 month check up on their bikes but I live miles away from my nearest store and I'd like to get mine serviced before Ride London. I'm not especially mechanically minded so I've found a local chap with a good reputation and am thinking of asking him to do the service for me.

What are the main issues I should ask him to check? I was thinking:

Check hub bearings (and re-grease if necessary)
Clean chain and cassettes
Check brakes
Check gears
Check tyres, spokes & rims

Anything I'm missing? So far, I've done about 800 miles on it since Feb so not massive mileage but I want to minimise the risk of anything going wrong on the day. Obviously this chap should know his stuff but was wondering if there was any particular issues relating to the T3 I should ask him to check?

Cheers

This is the video that taught me how to index/adjust my front and rear.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-uANcaVBfI

Thank you very much for those videos - very helpful, incredibly easy to do, I had a mess with it this morning before going out and it worked a treat. 33.5miles later, nothing fell off or anything! So success :smile: I'm going to have to have another go at it though, just to fine tune one gears which is still catching very slightly.

Also - is this rattling caused by the chain hitting the derailleur just an aesthetic problem or could it cause mechanical problems?

Widge

Baldy Go
Those are a couple of very nice, straightforward, videos. Thanks.

I have been 'tweaking' since fitting a 'Claris' R/D last as an experiment to see if would provide more clearance and adjustment with R500's and a slightly larger cassette than the originally specced one.

Yes and yes are the answers to the above two niggles.The top jockey bolt is now recessed flush with the back plate of the cage. The 2300 one had only a millimetre or so clearance from the spokes. Scary! Now there are more like 4 or 5mm There is a shed-load of adjustment on the 'B' screw and a longer cage, so I reckon you COULD run a 32t ring on the rear if you where that way inclined...although this would spin in an embarrassingly daft way and you would be at a walking pace. Still-whatever keeps you in your saddle,as they say.

Claris appears to all intents and purposes to be last years Sora painted gun-metal grey......so it doesn't match any other componentry.....but function above style is the key here I think!

I haven't really put it through its paces yet so watch this space.

with regard to 'noise' from the transmission - even with no or negligible rub, I have noticed that the chain is pretty clanky as it rides over certain cogs/combinations. Some chains are noticeably smoother and quieter than others......but at this level of componentry, and provided nothing is clearly awry in the indexing...then perhaps this is just is a base level of noise that might be expected from entry level gearing. There has to be more than one reason why Dura-Ace and Sram Red cost 6 times more, after all?:smile:

HTH

Best

w

hey Araapatlio you say about the Derailleuer rubbing on the chain? I presume you are talking about the front Derailleuer cage in an Ideal world it shouldn't be rubbing on the front cage as it will eventully wear the metal of the cage, but of course you probably are awere (spelling) of the triple chainwheel delemia in that you can't really afford to cross chain .i.e small cog on casessete and small chainwheel as is the Big cog on the rear casette and big chainwheel just isn't productive and and though its just posible to adjust the front derailleuer to accept this combination its still not good practice (there are other threads on the forum relating to this)
So If you can adjust the front derailleuer not to rub in any gear then go for it Ive got mine to work ok so that Iv'e no rub on the front Derailleuer when the middle chainwheel is being used whatever cog the the chain is engauged on the rear cassette Not that I use all of them I do tend to stick to the middle of the cassette when on the middle chainwheel and the larger cogs on the cassette when using the small chainwheel, likewise the smaller cogs on the cassette when using the big chainwheel
I hope you able to adjust yours properly If you cast about there are many sites that tell you how to do this which I'm sure you probably have found now by the time I've posted this!
regards Antnee

hey Araapatlio you say about the Derailleuer rubbing on the chain? I presume you are talking about the front Derailleuer cage in an Ideal world it shouldn't be rubbing on the front cage as it will eventully wear the metal of the cage, but of course you probably are awere (spelling) of the triple chainwheel delemia in that you can't really afford to cross chain .i.e small cog on casessete and small chainwheel as is the Big cog on the rear casette and big chainwheel just isn't productive and and though its just posible to adjust the front derailleuer to accept this combination its still not good practice (there are other threads on the forum relating to this)

I've adjusted it so it doesn't rub, though it requires a little more tinkering as it still just hits it in one gear.
However, I have no idea what the "triple chainwheel dilemma" - I'm only just learning how the gears work, so I will have to check that out, thanks.

I rejoined the Triban club last week... unfortunately wrote off my 3 (bent frame) in an accident at the start of the month, so I have replaced it with a 5 ^_^

I've only been out on it once so far (commute on a Genesis Flyer) but it feels great, looking forward to many more (hopefully incident free) miles! :bicycle:

Pieface

Congratulations! That might be one of the last ones, period :smile:
Seemed like. Seemed like there was still demand when I was waiting for it as staff were asking the guys who were helping me out if they had anymore. No was the answer (apart from size 51).

Wasn't set up well in store (surprise it was the front derailleur). Couldn't set it at first but got there in the end!

Speedball

Just got my T3 back from a service and the bloke who did it said that apart from the wheels, he was really impressed with the quality and couldn't believe it only cost £300. He's a mechanic for a professional mountain bike team so knows his stuff.

Have to say he did a cracking job on it, better than when it was delivered. Only sound is my laboured breathing ;-)

My T3 got me from L to P ( London to Paris) with no mechanical issues in 4 days - £1500 for local hospice.

Next big un will be the 3 Cities next august ( London - Amsterdam - Brussels) :bicycle:

Attachments

• crystal (732x1024).jpg
    crystal (732x1024).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom