Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Cassette and chain not a biggie (c £20-£25 plus fitting). Does it definitely need new crankset? These are unlikely to be more worn out than the cassette and shouldn't cause any issue. Bottom Bracket, local bike shop could probably replace that for around £40-50 I should think (including parts). New chainset can be anything from £40, but if fitted when the new bottom bracket goes on won't much to labour costs.
Assume fork is steel so rust shouldn't be too much of an issue, but obviously that would add to cost if it needed replacing, though you can get carbon forks for around £80 I believe!

I can save a bit of cash as I'd do all the fitting myself, it's not so difficult. As you say, the chainrings may be OK as may the fork and BB. The BB probably just needs a service/re-grease as the bearings feel smooth enough as they are.

The whole groupset is Sunrace R80, which isn't great nor is it awful. Don't know the state of the front and rear mechs as I haven't ridden the bike for well over 12-18 months. Smaller parts, inner/outer cables and tubes and tyres I have in a box of bits and spares so can save money there, too...Just need to wait until the beginning of next month to pick up my first paycheck. Hate monthly pay with a passion!

Thanks for the reply, Psyclepath.

The original, red ones are finally back in stock online so I ordered mine yesterday, got the order confirmation this morning, so I should have it on Wednesday :smile:

Steve Donovan

Looking to upgrade my tyres to something with more puncture resistance instead of the original factory tyres.
I'm 15 stone, so should I go for a 25 tyre or stick with 23 ?
Will the 25 tyres fit ?
I'm a newbie so any advice appreciated.

25 mm tyres will fit the rims but if you have mud gards you may have to modfy them to suit the bigger 25mm tyre (see some earlier posts) As I'm a bit lighter than you I stuck with the 23mm tyres. But will probably change to 25mm for the wetter weather( with a bit of tread) As Iv'e noticed the racing tyres are quite lively in the wet on the edges of steel gratings and cobbles

heather68

hi guys, looking for some advice...t3 has developed a clicking noise on the right pedal which is driving me mad lol. also feels like something is physically slipping or moving wehn i pedal? tightened up everything which can be tightened and changed the pedals back to the original but no joy...any ideas what it can be?

hi guys, looking for some advice...t3 has developed a clicking noise on the right pedal which is driving me mad lol. also feels like something is physically slipping or moving wehn i pedal? tightened up everything which can be tightened and changed the pedals back to the original but no joy...any ideas what it can be?

are you on the original pedals? I ask because mine wore out inside 200 miles and I had to replace them with something better quality.

Edit: also try taking the pedal in your hand and see if you can move it diagonally up & down (a movement it should not do) if it moves, then it is the bearings in the pedal.

heather68

satnav, it started when i put on spd pedals so thought it was the pedals or cleats rubbing so went back to original pedals but same noise in same place...pedal doesnt move at all when i try moving it

satnav, it started when i put on spd pedals so thought it was the pedals or cleats rubbing so went back to original pedals but same noise in same place...pedal doesnt move at all when i try moving it
what happens if you hold the crank arms and try the same movement (that one the pedals should not do and neither should the crank arms). thinking possible bottom bracket issues.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
triban 5 reviewed in cycling plus this month, shockingly it won the under £500 test with a 5* review

or is there a rub mark on the Right hand side cleat and a corresponding mark on your shoe cleat? I had issues with something simalur (spelling ) to this and still do but as Ive double sided SPD pedals I flip it over and it seems to dissapear So at some point ive to file the shoe cleat to suit the pedal! But there is something rubbing for sure Is it when you put more pressure on the pedal that it tends to happen more or is it all the time? as if its all the time there is something loose I would think its the Cleat thats the problem if your as you say on better quailty pedals than the standard that were supplied with the bike.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Always make sure the cleats on your shoes are nice and tight. The last thing you want is try and disengage your foot from the cleat, the foot swivels but the loose cleat remains where it is............... then a clipless moment ensues. Heard of it happening before.

Well - I am officially a member :smile:

yor3.jpg

I didn't spend time making it look pretty with the reflectors aligned etc, I just took this and got on it :smile:

Top Bottom