Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edwards80

Über Member
Remove reflectors or add spokey dokeys :biggrin:

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
triban 5 reviewed in cycling plus this month, shockingly it won the under £500 test with a 5* review

Yeah, seen it and read it. Good review for the Triban 5. Thought the review for the Triban 3 in Cycle Active raved a bit more but still good remarks for the T5.

Widge

Baldy Go
HI ARAAPATLIO!

Yup.....you got one of they Triban 3's well enough!

Congrats!.........they are getting difficult to find. Decathlon are moving on to their new range now.

This is a fantastic site if you are captivated by cycling and everyone here is so forthcoming with advice and help......so ..............roll on the good times and stay in touch?

Widge

Baldy Go
I know that quite a lot of us have experimented with fitting slightly larger cassettes to our tribans to ease our hill-climbing woes? I know I have!! The sram 11-28 has been a favourite upgrade over on the T3 Owners site. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the stock rear derailleur becomes very short of adjustment and can end up sitting alarmingly close to your spokes if you attempt to fit anything beyond its specced sizes. On a whim and a hunch I retro fitted mine today with the new 'claris' entry level rear derailleur (the replacement in shimanos line-up for 2300) and the problem - or potential problem - completely disappeared. The new derailleur is specced to work with a wider cassette range than the old 2300 one and is shimanos answer to to the new breed of first-timer road biker who would like the option of significantly lower gearing. The cage design is much more svelte and it doesn't have the protruding pulley bolts that limit the older design,

In this respect it works a treat. I am very pleased I gave it a try. Didn't cost mega-bucks although 'Claris' is not quite mainstream yet.

2300 WILL work with slightly larger cassettes............but you need to adjust the hell out of it to do so. Claris seems to just work if you want to confidently up your cassette range.

Just my observations, you understand?

Best

w

Edwards80

Über Member
I went the opposite way. I put a 11-23 cassette on mine. The 30tooth granny ring means this still lets you get up hills when you are feeling defeated and the gaps between the gears are smaller.

So the Gear Ratio is now 1.30 for your lowest on the Cassette as opposed to mine which is an 11 28 cassette so I've 1.07 ratio when I am on the smallest chain wheel. But then your probably far fitter than I
Having just discovered that the rear derailleuer on mine has some considerable play (3-4mm at the bottom of the J W hanger) between the Jockey wheel cage and the main body of the derailleuer, causing the Jockey wheel hanger to toe in toward the wheel I'm wondering if any others of you have this; is it just one of the faults of having a cheaper Shimano RD on the T3? At first I though it was a bent Derailleuer hanger bracket but realise that its just excess play in the Jockey wheel assemby, at its fixing point
This does cause me some concern And makes me think even more about upgrading the whole Rear Derailleuer unit.
Though on a lighter note as it was birthday yesterday I did get a decent work stand for a present, Though if I hadn't got it I wouldnt have noticed the Derailleuer problem would I!

Oh so I'm not on my own then Sat Nav but I will get it done later on I think perhaps with all this good weather I've gone a bit overboard with riding far more than I intended to when I first got the T3 I didn't think I'd take to it quite as much as I have.
And Tom It seems you got a bargain at Ribble perhaps I will look there though normally shop around for the best price though Is it worth putting a more upmarket RD on the T3? after all aren't we supposed to get what we pay for?
regards All Antnee

Tom Hooper

I have been riding my triban for 12months now, so the way I see it is if things wear out and need replaced I buy what I can afford if its a better part than the original, it will normally last longer and work better.

Just been out again, an enjoyable ride but for the rattling - but I've realised that it is the chain hitting against the front derailleur in certain gears. I have no idea how to fix this problem - I can't imagine it is meant to do that. I'll probably take it to the local Decathlon store and ask them to have a look at it for me.

Duckehhh

Just been out again, an enjoyable ride but for the rattling - but I've realised that it is the chain hitting against the front derailleur in certain gears. I have no idea how to fix this problem - I can't imagine it is meant to do that. I'll probably take it to the local Decathlon store and ask them to have a look at it for me.

This is the video that taught me how to index/adjust my front and rear.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-uANcaVBfI

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KNGQFPT9U&feature=relmfu

Top Bottom