Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Donovan

I changed my tyres early on to Rubino Pro Folders and they have been very good. (Lighter AND red 'n black - plus no fairy visits for the last 800 miles!) Recommended.

d042bfd0-8617-4df6-b46d-8cc30037cc51_zps45df7f3d.jpg
Very nice. I think I'm convinced.

G3CWI

Veteran
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787507.423958.jpg

T3 Fast Touring Flight Deck.

Hi all whats the size of the thread in the Prowheel crankset as I want to order a crank puller
I've a feeling its 22mm thread for the puller to locate on to? Thank you. I have done a search but its not come up with anything relavant.
Cheers Ant

Hi Antnee, it's a "normal" sized crank thread. I have removed mine before just using a standard Halfords Bike Hut Crank puller. I always remove them on new bikes and but some copper grease on the tapers, so they are easy to remove a few years down the line.

migrantwing

Veteran
Is the newer White Triban 3 any good? Need a cheap commuter as my 2007 Carrera TDF has seen better days and is not worth spending money on replacing components.

cheers Psyclepath i''m in the process of ordering a park one But perhaps I don't need to spend that much money as the Bike hut ones are cheaper I ordered the wrong type of 39t chainwheel (it does not appear to have any ramps on it for the triple like the T3 prowheel one ) I think it probably was for a road bike So I need to go for a triple 39T one that says it is though lots of the sites don't say what the BCD is if its five fixings I presume its 130mm. Any ideas on that?

You'll probably get away with a cheapo Amazon one like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Crank-...8&qid=1373985671&sr=1-1&keywords=crank+puller

They are ok as long as the cranks haven't welded to the bb axle (ie the bike isn't that old and been ridden in a British winter). I used one of them until I had to remove an old one (ended up sawing the cranks off!)

What are you trying to do, just change one chainring or the whole crankset? Check out Sheldon Brown's website for more technical stuff on BCD.

I'm not sure the ramps are essential btw, they just make the shifts a bit smoother.

Is the newer White Triban 3 any good? Need a cheap commuter as my 2007 Carrera TDF has seen better days and is not worth spending money on replacing components.
The white one isn't that special, the new Halfords TDF was on offer at under £300 is arguably a better bet. What needs replacing on your one, still probably cheaper to repair, surely?

migrantwing

Veteran
The white one isn't that special, the new Halfords TDF was on offer at under £300 is arguably a better bet. What needs replacing on your one, still probably cheaper to repair, surely?

Yeah, I'd heard that, too. Just wanted to make sure.

Well...the bike was given to me a few years ago and it had never been serviced properly. When I got it I serviced it as best I could without spending much on it (regreased bearings/headset and the usual bits and bobs, new cables and outers, brake blocks etc) and just got on and used it. I haven't used it for a good while as I have another bike, but want to use the TDF as a commuter as I've started a new job. Upon inspection, I noticed that the cassette, chainrings and chain need replacing (way overdue) and I'll need to buy a crank puller to service the bottom bracket. Also, there is some rust/corrosion on the fork at the crown race. I've cleaned it up best I could, but I'm not sure if it's just surface rust or worse, so, MAY need a new fork, too. All this adds up to a lot of money where as I could spend a little more and get a new complete bike.

Apologies for the lengthy reply :smile:

Cassette and chain not a biggie (c £20-£25 plus fitting). Does it definitely need new crankset? These are unlikely to be more worn out than the cassette and shouldn't cause any issue. Bottom Bracket, local bike shop could probably replace that for around £40-50 I should think (including parts). New chainset can be anything from £40, but if fitted when the new bottom bracket goes on won't much to labour costs.
Assume fork is steel so rust shouldn't be too much of an issue, but obviously that would add to cost if it needed replacing, though you can get carbon forks for around £80 I believe!

Hi Psyclepath again I just sent the 39T FSA road chainwheel back to CRC and have ordered the Sora triple chainring & a park crank puller (as I've not got one and its not going to eat anything It will be useful) I suppose I should have ordered the 3 chainrings but its only the middle chainring thats bent and has half a tooth missing Its still ridable but it doesn't change that well Cheers for the reply Ant

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
The Triban owners club site will not accept that I am a human being and bloody keeps asking me to copy words, wtf am i doing wrong ?

Join up as a member Primal Scream. You won't have any of that word copying faffing about then. It's not just for T3 owners. All Triban bike owners are active members now. Feel the love!!!

Top Bottom