Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlote

We've finaly managed to get hold of a Triban 3 & it really is such an amazing bike for the price!:hyper:

DSC_0225_zps8e83f8f3.jpg

discomixx

mrandmrspoves said:
This is well covered elsewhere on this forum.....but basically the new white cheaper Triban doesn't have the carbon fibre fork or as good gears. If you can still get the red Triban it is a brilliant bike for the money. The new version is still good value - but not as competitive.​
sheet i just bought the white thinkin it was same as red, just upgrading my trusty old hybrid-is this still best bike around for £300 or should i look elsewhere? many thnx in advance-is red available anywhere 60 or 63?

Widge

Baldy Go
In answer to some of the recent posts about dodgy gears and rubbin etc............I can assure you that the gear set the T£ comes with CAN be set up reasonably sweet.

I knew what I'd bought.

Cheap and cheerful gears and an aftermarket mickey-mouse cassette and chain set.

It takes a bit of nowse to keep it running as smooth as it can be, But.......if you can get it so that the small chain ring runs the big cogs.....the big ring runs the small cogs and most of it runs without rub on the middle ring...then you have it sorted. And yes..it can be done without agonising over whether it needs a 9 speed chain or whether the front mech is new or old Sora. Just needs constant fettling!!!

If I'd wanted Dura-Ace (or I' I#d KNOWN I wanted Dura-Ace) I would have bought it in the first place.

Or probably not!;)

w

Charlote

When i bought my Triban 51 from the Southampton store on Wednesday, they also had a 54 Red Triban because i'd reserved both sizes so i could try them both. Just thought i'd mention it just incase the 54 hasn't been sold :smile:

DudeManchoo72

Regular
In answer to some of the recent posts about dodgy gears and rubbin etc............I can assure you that the gear set the T£ comes with CAN be set up reasonably sweet.

I knew what I'd bought.

Cheap and cheerful gears and an aftermarket mickey-mouse cassette and chain set.

It takes a bit of nowse to keep it running as smooth as it can be, But.......if you can get it so that the small chain ring runs the big cogs.....the big ring runs the small cogs and most of it runs without rub on the middle ring...then you have it sorted. And yes..it can be done without agonising over whether it needs a 9 speed chain or whether the front mech is new or old Sora. Just needs constant fettling!!!

If I'd wanted Dura-Ace (or I' I#d KNOWN I wanted Dura-Ace) I would have bought it in the first place.

Or probably not!;)

w
Did 35 miles or so yesterday and towards the end the gears were rubbing on the large chain ring and small cogs, only when giving it some effort though. Its as if something moves or bends when putting some pressure on it. Gonna start from scratch again setting up wise over the next couple of days.....so annoying though because it makes a horrible noise making me back off when getting some speed up thinking somethings gonna give.

Steve Donovan

I've been really unlucky so far with Btwin inner tubes.
Only had my bike a few weeks and I bought a couple of Btwin tubes when I picked up the bike.

Original rear tube went pop whilst I was out and about on it.
The 1st replacement lasted about 20 miles. I pumped it up before my ride today, then as I was filling up my water bottle it went pop as well.
I set about replacing the tube again with my 2nd spare, and I heard a hiss as I was pumping it up. On closer inspection, there was a tiny hole at one of the joins in the tube.

So I've learned a valuable lesson over the past couple of weeks - Btwin tubes seem to be be pretty naff.

I've been on to the Wiggle website and ordered myself some Conti tubes.

Edwards80

Über Member
So I've learned a valuable lesson over the past couple of weeks - Btwin tubes seem to be be pretty naff.

Pretty much my experience too. Probably the only budget item from there that isn't worth it, despite the low price. I had one valve fail and the replacement I used had such a wide valve seat that it wouldn't go into the rim!

Just ridded my Triban3 from London to Paris in aid of hospice.
Only 1 visit from the fairy so nothing wrong with tyres of tubes !
Glad I changed the brake blocks as we had some very damp sections and the swissstops were great.

DazC

Über Member
Hmm..my triban has started to click on the down stoke when peddling on the right hand (chain) side. Removed the pedals and retighted them and reseated the wheels, no luck. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks

Btwin triban3 Chainwheel (replacement of middle chainwheel)

I’m just posting this question asking if any of you T3 owners out there have had any problems with front chainwheels, as I have just noticed that my middle chainwheel (39 teeth) seemed to have a couple of bent teeth as I noticed this when I was lubing my chain earlier this evening as revolving chain backwards noticed it then, though not had any problem changing down to smaller chainwheel though changing up from the inner 30 chainwheel to the 39 (middle) chainwheel does not always go smoothly but no problem going from middle 39teeth to the outer chainwheel 50teeth.
Has anyone up graded the chainwheels at all I see that it could be easy to replace the individual chain wheel rings as they all seem to be allen bolted together with what looks to be 8mm allen headed chrome bolts Just how easy is it and what brand of chainwheel is compatible with the others or will I have to change all three chainwheels rings
And while I’m on line I’ve notice a very small amount of fine swarf on the chain to and wondered perhaps if that’s coming from front chainwheels as the chain does seem to take lots of the black finish off the chainwheels leaving bright metal showing , I suppose the cost of the bike has to be reflected somewhere ; perhaps its here?
Many thanks if you’ve any ideas or have upgraded yours
Regards Antnee

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
So many possibilities. ...check chain ring bolts and check chain ring isn't knocking against the front mec, ensure the gear cable isn't knocking against anything. See if it does it when riding out of the saddle....if not check saddle and seat post. Is there any lateral play if you hold by crank arms and try rocking sideways-if so bottom bracket. ...

DazC

Über Member
So many possibilities. ...check chain ring bolts and check chain ring isn't knocking against the front mec, ensure the gear cable isn't knocking against anything. See if it does it when riding out of the saddle....if not check saddle and seat post. Is there any lateral play if you hold by crank arms and try rocking sideways-if so bottom bracket. ...

Seems like a job for the weekend, thanks for the suggestions. :smile:

Top Bottom