Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a quick question. I fitted an SRAM 11-28 Cassette and Shimano R500 wheels to the T3 And adjusted the Rear derailuer as it was catching on the spokes of the new wheels when on the largest sprocket of the cassette I ajusted it so there was about 3mm clearance from the spoke to the jockey wheel hanger. But On riding the bike find that the jockey wheel hanger catches one of the spokes when riding with the lowest gear selected (largest sprocket on rear cassette) surly the wheel can't spread that much as its not as though i'm a big bloke; after all am only 12.07 stone
I would be interested to know Has any body had this happen to them?
Shoud I perhaps add a spacer behind the cassette or attempt some more derailuer adjustment?

stu9000

Thanks for the tips lads.
Ithe buzzing noise on my right shifter is driving me nuts. Its otherwise a whisper quiet bike.

Gonna do some fettling tomorrow using this post as a starting point

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/post-2321357

@antnee
My wheelset is different but I have a shimano 8/9/10/11 speed freehub and that certainly needed a spacer. (Fulcrum Racing 7 CX wheelset). With the spacer than came with the wheelset, the cassette was rock solid and the derailer is well clear of the spokes - significantly more than 3mm. Do you have a friendly LBS you can pop in and ask and if necessary purchase said spacer from in return for the advice?

Cyclist33

Just a quick question. I fitted an SRAM 11-28 Cassette and Shimano R500 wheels to the T3 And adjusted the Rear derailuer as it was catching on the spokes of the new wheels when on the largest sprocket of the cassette I ajusted it so there was about 3mm clearance from the spoke to the jockey wheel hanger. But On riding the bike find that the jockey wheel hanger catches one of the spokes when riding with the lowest gear selected (largest sprocket on rear cassette) surly the wheel can't spread that much as its not as though i'm a big bloke; after all am only 12.07 stone
Shoud I perhaps add a spacer behind the cassette or attempt some more derailuer adjustment?

the jockey wheel should be in line with the cog on the lowest gear when selected, so it sounds like you have set it relative to the wheel instead.

Widge

Baldy Go

Hi antnee,

I thought I was alone in experiencing the same as you, witht the same set up.

The problem as I see is it is that the derailleur is right on the limit of what it is designed to handle.

On mine, I have to screw the 'B' tension screw all the way in to ensure the top jockey wheel clears the 28t sprocket,,and even then, I would ideally like a little further adjustment.

The limit screw needs to be set so that the mech only just engages the sprocket. The faintest amount of 'overshift, and the AXLE/spindle bolt of the upper jockey wheel (which stands rather proud of the cheap pressed steel cage) rubs against the spokes of my r500 wheels. As it is - there is only a few fag-papers width of clearance. Hardly confidence inspiring!

My thoughts are that a longer caged and/or more sleekly designed mech may not have such little tolerance. I'm wondering whether a change (perhaps even to an 'Alivio' type mtb mech) might be better some time soon, what do you think?

best

w

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi Sat nav I have at the mo seem to have sorted it out with the inner limit screw Though not been out up any hills but ridden it just around the turnings by me and it seems ok but will know tomorrow morning as have a couple of hills to test it on thanks for the advice .

Charlote

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get hold of a Triban 3 Red soon, but i'm unsure of what size i need? I'm 5'4" my inside leg is 29" & a half, my torso is 24" & a half. My arms are 27"inches.

Btw, i live in Plymouth so it's a bit tricky getting to a Decathlon store!:eek:

Many thanks in advance:smile:

Widge

Baldy Go
Hhhhm.....might be a bit tricky. Triban 3 Reds are disappearing fast.....and you will need to go mail-order, ( I work a lot in Plymouth!). A 29 inch inside leg would work with a 54 in frame...but your overall height might push you to one size smaller, THEN they start coming with non-standard 650c wheels.

In your case, I would very much recommend a try before you buy approach....but that ain't going to be so easy if you have your heart set on a T3 (But..........Other bikes are available!:smile:)

HTH

w

Charlote

Hhhhm.....might be a bit tricky. Triban 3 Reds are disappearing fast.....and you will need to go mail-order, ( I work a lot in Plymouth!). A 29 inch inside leg would work with a 54 in frame...but your overall height might push you to one size smaller, THEN they start coming with non-standard 650c wheels.

In your case, I would very much recommend a try before you buy approach....but that ain't going to be so easy if you have your heart set on a T3 (But..........Other bikes are available!:smile:)

HTH

w

Thank you:smile:

stu9000

Ok, took off the plastic clear window, unscrewed the little screw, twisted the shifter which popped loose the plastic surrounding the red needle.
To move the plastic surround clear I had to loosen off the cable at the derrailier.

The vibrating buzzing culprit is a metal large washer thingy right on the forward edge.

It seems to serve no clear purpose, although I'm guessing it must do , so rather than glueing it I've just taken it out. It wasn't doing anything. V loose.

uploadfromtaptalk1370723516972.jpg

The above pic shows the washer sitting in place. Washer isn't really an appropriate description.

uploadfromtaptalk1370723597425.jpg

Here I've removed the washer.

I'll go out for a ride tomorrow. Im hopeful that this problem is now resolved.

heather68

charlotte, ive just got a 54 frame and im 5ft 3, 51 was just too small felt like a childs bike...ive had to shorten the stem and move the seat forward maximum and its feels so much better...def go for 54 if u can get one

Webbi

Wow, this thread keeps growing at such a speed!

Could I ask some of the more helpful people out there who have already done it what size bearings are in the wheel hubs? I think mine (which I have yet to open up and take a look at) have a bit of a "grainy" feel to them which I am told often comes from cream crackered bearings. Since they are so cheap I thought I would just replace them but have no idea what ones to use. Also, I have already purchased the wrong size seat post clamp (I wanted a quick release) and wondered if anyone knows what size one is on the 63 cm frame, I can't find anywhere that says it and I am not confident my old school shatterproof ruler is up to the task of measuring up to .1 of a mm!

Havoc6

Wow, this thread keeps growing at such a speed!

Could I ask some of the more helpful people out there who have already done it what size bearings are in the wheel hubs? I think mine (which I have yet to open up and take a look at) have a bit of a "grainy" feel to them which I am told often comes from cream crackered bearings. Since they are so cheap I thought I would just replace them but have no idea what ones to use. Also, I have already purchased the wrong size seat post clamp (I wanted a quick release) and wondered if anyone knows what size one is on the 63 cm frame, I can't find anywhere that says it and I am not confident my old school shatterproof ruler is up to the task of measuring up to .1 of a mm!

I have got a 60cm frame and seat post is 29.85mm diameter

Top Bottom