Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu9000

The right brake lever is buzzing . There is something inside vibrating rattle. Maybe the red indicator needle. It doesn't buzz if the lever is being pulled by by hand. Has anyone had this, or taken the brake lever housing apart? Thanks.

Billy Adam

The right brake lever is buzzing . There is something inside vibrating rattle. Maybe the red indicator needle. It doesn't buzz if the lever is being pulled by by hand. Has anyone had this, or taken the brake lever housing apart? Thanks.
Hi stu I haven't had this on mine but I think it's been covered earlier in this thread or on the TOC site.

johnnyh

Veteran
I wonder if they stuck a 9 speed FD on instead of an 8 speed... That would explain the issue as the narrower chain and cage on a 9 speed would rub sooner on a thicker 8 speed chain..?

Just thinking outside the box?

Milzy

Guru
I can't understand why so many people buy a Triban 3 for almost pocket money then spend huge amounts upgrading it. Why not just get your bang for buck bike in a higher price range?

I would have had the Triban 7 if only it was in the cycle to work scheme.

johnnyh

Veteran
This was bought by my 12 year old son with his own money - so yes i guess it is pocket money! but it is fantastic for the price, yes it ain't my Trek, but then that was 5 times the price.

My issue here is they have put a 9 speed FD on an 8 speed drive chain, so naturally the wider chain is going to rub on the cage a little.

Plain daft really, wonder if they would supply an 8 speed FD if asked?

Milzy

Guru
They should sort it out. Don't take no smeg off them.

Duckehhh

I can't understand why so many people buy a Triban 3 for almost pocket money then spend huge amounts upgrading it. Why not just get your bang for buck bike in a higher price range?

I would have had the Triban 7 if only it was in the cycle to work scheme.

I think because some people(like myself) bought the bike as a bike.
Not a winter bike, not a cheap bike, then next year buy a 10k bike. Etc.

Unless I get some serious damage to my frame. I can't see myself changing it. But will replace/upgrade parts that wear, or for function (I changed to 9 speed pretty early on for better shifters)

£300 was a nice price that got me into the sport. Bike paid for itself in travel costs within 3 months

Edwards80

Über Member
Don't settle for the "It's a triple, it must rub" line.

I replaced the chainset on mine (with the stock decathlon one that comes with it) last night as it was crash damaged. No rubbing this morning, even when cross chained. Took me about 10/15mins to adjust the FD so that it didn't rub.

If it's new, decathlon should fix it for free. A bike shop will charge £20/30 to adjust the gears for you but it's not too tricky. I just watched a few vids on youtube and gave it a go :smile:

Some info here - http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

Widge

Baldy Go

My r/hand lever buzzes too!........Seems fairly common (not JUST on el-cheapo 2300 shifters either) but not everyone seems to get it or notice it.
The consensus is that the transparent plastic top cover (which clips into the assembly) is ever so slightly loose. If you press down on the cover the buzz MAY stop. People have taken to rubbing silicone sealant around the joints...or even running a bead of super-glue around the edge of the window. I am very wary of superglue personally!

I have just rigged up a bit of neatly cut Tuf-Tape from the front nameplate face of the cover back under the lever assembly as an experiment. Just about to go for a ride and will let you know how it goes.

It's just an annoyance, really........but on an otherwise reasonably silent bike it gets on mi nerves!:wacko:

HTH

w

Top Bottom