Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
My buzzing stops when I touch the top-plate.
But there may be all sorts of shenanigens going on inside as you rightly point out!

I'm still getting a clicking noise from my left crank, anyone know what I should do next? I've taken the pedals out and greased the threads and it seems to go away for a few miles and then it's back again.
Apologies for suggesting the obvious, but it isn't the crank hitting the end of the front mech cable is it? I had that once and it took me ages to realise as it only did in when on one the big ring! Just bend the cable in a bit.
Also, check your seat clamp is tight, (post and the rails), I was convinced I had bottom bracket creaking when it was just creaking from the seat rails.

Billy Adam

Apologies for suggesting the obvious, but it isn't the crank hitting the end of the front mech cable is it? I had that once and it took me ages to realise as it only did in when on one the big ring! Just bend the cable in a bit.
Also, check your seat clamp is tight, (post and the rails), I was convinced I had bottom bracket creaking when it was just creaking from the seat rails.
Same here but only in the granny ring

Widge

Baldy Go
The granny ring is easy gears - as used by grannies the world over.
The dog ring...............?
..................................as used by dogs everywhere!

Simples.

Re the Front deraileur problems It is annoying but I find that as long as you don't cross chain (within reason) you won't get any rub on the front Deraileur It did take me sometime to come to this point but Ideally if you are on the smallest chain ring you are going to be on the larger rear sprockets of the Cassette And likewise if on the largest chainwheel your on the smaller sprockets. I don't seem to have a problem on the middle chainring on any of the cassette sprokets. But Having said this I have had to adjust the rear and front deraileur after fitting a new set of wheels and the 11-28 SRAM cassette as the rear derialeur was rubbing on one of the rear wheel spokes. Though this could have been the wheel being very slightly different from the Btwin standard wheel. And having just looked at some pro cycling items the do advise not to cross chain as this causes undue wear on the chain I am sure you probably know all this anyway and so If you are still getting rub on the Front deraileur when its on the middle chain wheel more adjustment is on the cards As Billy points out that the front deraileur cage "does not fill him with confidence" neither does it with me but youv'e got to remember for £300.00 we have a really good bike even if we upgrade all the bits and pieces on it As some of us have, though I admit I waited a while before starting to work on mine as wondered if I was going to get back into it. Hope you get it sorted out soon as you don't want to put your boy off cycling Cheers All Antnee

johnnyh

Veteran
just to update, had a call from Southampton Decathlon and a nice chat with a bike mechanic there.
He has made both head office and France aware of the issue, and is trying to see what gives the best solution - 8 speed cage or 9 speed chain, and will call me back and ship a replacement part.

He also said he was aware this was an issue on the 51cm frame, and they had found a change of BB can help the issue.

Anyhow, top service, well done Decathlon!

Duckehhh

I noticed that I barely use the big ring. I just go up and down the rear from the middle cog

bear in mind that you will wear out the chain and the cassette much faster if you use the gears that way.
Ideally you should be using the smallest front chain ring with the first 3-4 (slower) larger-higher teeth count gears on the cassette, middle chain ring with the middle 3-4 gears on the rear cassette and the big chain ring with the 3-4 (fastest) smallest/lowest teeth count gears on the cassette.

Practice is another matter, and I find that I slip to 4-5 gears of use on the middle chain ring....:whistle:

(hope that made some sort of sense... I'm not particulaly well still and not always making myself paritcularly clear)

JohnC60

Same here!

That big ring is some murderous shizz!!
Stick the with it. Today I got to the top of one of my regular hills and realised I was still on the big ring (normally change to middle ring half way up)! I'm finding I'm spending much more time in the higher gears than I used to 6 months ago and using the granny ring less and less. There's still a couple of hills round here where I'm still grateful to have it though.

Widge

Baldy Go
Nothing wrong with a big ring.

No indeed........there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a big ring. I don't get to use it much going up one in 4 hills around Dartmoor, thats all. I sometimes use it going down. There is no 'level' ground to speak of in my my locale.

Doubtless it's all down to my pathetic fitness level, for which I apologise.

Top Bottom