Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks the info.....yes just as I'm about to push down on the right pedal....seems to be getting worse and does it when cruising along on the flats now.....but I'll give your tip a try.....cheers

watch your knuckles on the ground as you push that spanner down...I'm positive it'll sort you out, mine start to click every so often and this works every time.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Having just installed a new 105 bb I have realised I have spent more upgrading it than I paid for it....

What have you done to yours?

Ive done:
Hand built wheels £250
New 105 octalink bb £19 (thanks ebay)
Sora calipers £6 off @pacman
105 octalink cranks £8 (ebay you good boy)
Fsa chainrings £8 (@accountantpete)
Tiagra rear derailleur £8 (@accountantpete)
105 Jockey wheels free @pacman
Schwalbe lugano £22
Clarks brake blocks £7
Sram rear cassette £18.50
Kmc chain £8
Fizik seat £12 (on offer on wiggle)
Sram bar tape £8
Shimano m520 £18

So give or take its now cost me £700.... oopsy

D

Deleted member 20519

Right .... New question about the original (red) Triban 3.

I have just bought a set of RS10's from sittingduck of this parish (thanks again). I would like to buy a new cassette so i can keep the original wheels for turbo/winter duties.
What cassette is on the Triban (stock) and what should i put on the RS10's ?

I think it's a 12-25 Shimano HG50.

D

Deleted member 20519

Having just installed a new 105 bb I have realised I have spent more upgrading it than I paid for it....

What have you done to yours?

Ive done:
Hand built wheels £250
New 105 octalink bb £19 (thanks ebay)
Sora calipers £6 off @pacman
105 octalink cranks £8 (ebay you good boy)
Fsa chainrings £8 (@accountantpete)
Tiagra rear derailleur £8 (@accountantpete)
105 Jockey wheels free @pacman
Schwalbe lugano £22
Clarks brake blocks £7
Sram rear cassette £18.50
Kmc chain £8
Fizik seat £12 (on offer on wiggle)
Sram bar tape £8
Shimano m520 £18
So give or take its now cost me £700.... oopsy

I've done -

Fulcrum Racing 7 Wheels - £110
Vitorria Rubino Tyres x2 - £20
Shimano 105 5700 Brake Calipers - £35
Charge Spoon Saddle - £25
New shifter after breaking the old one - £60
Sora Chainset + BB - £33
Shimano SPD-SL pedals - £25
KMC Chain - £15
Clarks Brake Pads - £12
SRAM Cassette - £25
Derailleur Jockey Wheels - £5
Fizik + BBB bar tape - £20

Spent £300 on the bike, £378 on upgrades and probably the same on getting the bloody thing repaired.

Col5632

Guru
I've done -

Fulcrum Racing 7 Wheels - £110
Vitorria Rubino Tyres x2 - £20
Shimano 105 5700 Brake Calipers - £35
Charge Spoon Saddle - £25
New shifter after breaking the old one - £60
Sora Chainset + BB - £33
Shimano SPD-SL pedals - £25
KMC Chain - £15
Clarks Brake Pads - £12
SRAM Cassette - £25
Derailleur Jockey Wheels - £5
Fizik + BBB bar tape - £20

Spent £300 on the bike, £378 on upgrades and probably the same on getting the bloody thing repaired.

If you were only more careful with it in the first place ;)

I've only spent £25 on mine and that was new tyres, you been on your bike lately?

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm not a triban owner (although I have convinced a coupke of mates to join the club).

the clicking noise is most likely your pedals, does it ocur when one of your pedals is at 11.00 o clock, just as you start to put on pressure.

take the pedals off, stip out any grease on the threads and on the crank arm (in the hole that the pedals screw into) with GT85 or the like (avoid WD 40) and then re-grease the threads (internal and external) and refit. The clicking will stay away for a few hundred miles til the grease dries out once more.

Having the same thing here. The noise is coming from the left crank and it happens when going from 12-6 o clock on the downstroke.

D

Deleted member 20519

If you were only more careful with it in the first place ;)

I've only spent £25 on mine and that was new tyres, you been on your bike lately?

Been out on it quite a bit recently, building the miles back up slowly but surely :biggrin: Weather has been fantastic for the past couple of days, 20+C so I haven't been going out for too long at the one time.

That does seem strange about the pedal / crank noise I had similar noise on mne and thought it was the clipless fitting on the pedal it self at first but discovered by putting chainlube oil first on the clipless springs it made no difference so put some on the part where the pedal thread stem enters the pedal and that seems to do the trick though not entirely convinced as its that. (think faulty seal on pedal Shimano SPDPD 530 double sided) but found that the noise stopped sometimes when I've flicked pedal over though the last few times I been out its not happened? but still inclined to think that the pedal seal could be at fault.

D

Deleted member 20519

I managed to fix my pedal/crank noise issue. I took off the pedals, sanded them down (unrelated, just mentioning it), cleaned them thoroughly, put a bit of grease on the important parts and put them back on... and the clicking noise was still there. I ended up taking out the screws in the crank arm and putting some grease on them and then tightening them back up, that seems to have sorted it out :dance:

Thanks to the nice weather, I ended up sitting outside for about two hours fettling with my bike. It got a proper clean and the chain and cassette are silver again :biggrin:

Sanded pedal (left) and scratched pedal (right):
IMG_0988.JPG

Things are looking shiny again:
IMG_0990.JPG

Top Bottom