Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Wow, I just wanted to say hi, I am a Red Triban 3 owner and intended to get involved in this thread sooner, but decided to read it first. Several weeks later... I reached the end!

Well done on a most excellent and educational thread by the way. I feel like I already know some of you quite well!

Glad you found a lot of interesting info from the thread Webbi. Seems ages ago since I posted the initial thread. Things have certainly grown since then.

Duckehhh

So Friday I got my 1st t3 puncture. In the pi$$ing rain. 2 miles from work. So just walked it with the bike on my back then fixed it at work. Got caught by the mother of all pot holes. Hurt like hell when it hit. Then on the way back, front brake cable broke.

Also I took off my front crudracer. And now cannot get it back on without rubbing

DudeManchoo72

Regular
Welcome to the Tribe! Be sure to read through this thread, many useful things you need to know. Pay particular attention to the wheel cones, many of us have found they did not contain enough grease.:thumbsup:
Well just finished reading the entire thread........like reading a novel........good advice on the hubs though......back one feels ok but front one feels a bit notchy when spinning it in my fingers......gonna strip and have a proper look today......just gotta get some grease first......bank holidays rule!

DudeManchoo72

Regular
Ok so stripped the front hub, there was some grease in there bit not a great deal. It was over tightened too which made it rumble a fair bit. Gave it more grease and re adjusted and it is better but not perfect. Inspecting the rear I find one side has 9 ball bearings and the cassette side only 8. I definitely haven't dropped any I made sure of that. There are 10 bearings on each side on the fronts. Did anybody note how many they had?

SubSonic

Ok so stripped the front hub, there was some grease in there bit not a great deal. It was over tightened too which made it rumble a fair bit. Gave it more grease and re adjusted and it is better but not perfect. Inspecting the rear I find one side has 9 ball bearings and the cassette side only 8. I definitely haven't dropped any I made sure of that. There are 10 bearings on each side on the fronts. Did anybody note how many they had?

There should be 9 x 1/4" bearings each side on the rear hub and 10 x 3/16" bearings each side on the front hub.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Coventry Decathlon had 8 old model Triban 3 54cm bikes delivered today. £299 instore and ready to ride. These currently sell for £350 on eBay second hand so if you live nearby, this may be your last chance to get one of the carbon fork versions. The new white model has a significantly lower spec.

Hang on though... only 7 left... oh yeah, the other one's in my hallway. I'm told they're selling fast. Nice too that, as I was wheeling the bike to in-store checkout, two different people came up to me and said they owned the same model and recommended it.

I'm thinking of buying another Triban 3 red but would like to put it off till Sept/Oct - I thought that Decathlon were still making this and would continue to do so along with the Triban3a white? I remember several posts earlier in the year when the White was first introduced that people had contacted Decathlon and they were told that the Triban 3 red would continue in production - can anyone confirm?

How easy are cone adjustment's?
easy.
just need couple of spanners - be careful you aren't ham-fisted - check the feel as you tighten up

Can anyone tell me what the Cassette size is on the T3 I thought its 12 to 24 or 25 Also What wheel rims can put on as can make out if the tyres types are they the wire normal beaded ones or just the newer type that fit into a ridge on the rim The reason I ask is that I have a slight buckle on the rear rim and want to get that straightened but still want to have the bike in service so thought would get another rear rim and cassette Perhaps with a bigger sprocket .i.e a 28 to 11 size cassette if ones available? Has anybody got any thoughts on this ? Many thanks antnee

I'm thinking of buying another Triban 3 red but would like to put it off till Sept/Oct - I thought that Decathlon were still making this and would continue to do so along with the Triban3a white? I remember several posts earlier in the year when the White was first introduced that people had contacted Decathlon and they were told that the Triban 3 red would continue in production - can anyone confirm?
Yes they said another production run for the UK market only

Can anyone tell me what the Cassette size is on the T3 I thought its 12 to 24 or 25 Also What wheel rims can put on as can make out if the tyres types are they the wire normal beaded ones or just the newer type that fit into a ridge on the rim The reason I ask is that I have a slight buckle on the rear rim and want to get that straightened but still want to have the bike in service so thought would get another rear rim and cassette Perhaps with a bigger sprocket .i.e a 28 to 11 size cassette if ones available? Has anybody got any thoughts on this ? Many thanks antnee

should be an 12-25 or 12-26 (whatever everyone else had, mine was slightly different) but if you rub the cassette clean (find the first one and follow in a line) you will find each one is stamped with what it is followed by a T...
Quite a few of us have fitted 11-28 cassettes now which have been great (and those extra 2 teeth really do make a difference), some needing adjustment, some without, but the existing derailuer is only meant to take upto a 26T and I am certain will not go passed a 28T given I have the 11-28T (SRAM PG850) and have had to adjust the clearance of the derailuer to max (B screw). Good habits also dictate a new chain when the cassette is replaced, no matter what, though some don't, I would recommend it as it will rule out any issues with chain slipping later on leading to an easier diagnosis of indexing issues after a few weeks which I experienced.

Tom Hooper

been to LBL looks like i need a new rear mech and set of brake calipers. what kind of mech is best suited to the triban? should i stick with an 8 speed or will a 9 speed work? more choice for 9 speed, also any place that sells cheapish brake calipers? looking for 105 or tigra?

Top Bottom